Home Non Cigar Related

Craft Beer Reviews

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Thread closed ****, there's nothing more to say lol...Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Thread closed ****, there's nothing more to say lol...Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    LOL dude you need to send me one of those.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
    Having a SN Ruthless Rye IPA. Love Rye IPAs but damn it doesnt compare to Founders Reds RyePA.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I have a bottle of that voodoo doughnut but have heard bad reviews. Is it any good?
    Don't know, ain't going to open it till I can get a few friends over to share it with. The guy at the beer shop said it needs to age. May need to get a few more...
    Having Rogue hazelnut brown. Don't know what took me so long to try it. Great brew with a slight hazelnut twinge. A wee more hops would be nice but and awesome brew!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Don't know, ain't going to open it till I can get a few friends over to share it with. The guy at the beer shop said it needs to age. May need to get a few more...
    You ought to bring a couple bottles when you and Dustin come down to Socal.
    Will do! I just got 2 more bottles tonight. My advice is to get it if you see it. Very limited one time only run that may require aging.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    Wake Up Dead Russian Imperial Stout
    Left Hand Brewing Co., Longmont, CO
    10.20% abv.

I recently discovered Left Hand Brewing Co. offerings this past year, when my future pop-in-law handed me one of their Milk Stouts last winter. I feel pretty darn lucky that their products have distribution in my area, because from what I've experienced, they produce some of the best porters and stouts I've been able to buy around here. The Wake Up Dead Imperial Stout in every way lives up to the high quality I've discovered in Left Hand's offerings.

To me, the best way to describe this beer is to imagine Willy Wonka brewed beer. It's a flippin' treat!

The aroma I caught could best be described as "Milk Dud". As in the candy. Chocolate and caramel odors just waft off of the head.

It poured heavy with a dark chocolate color and minimal head. Very little if almost no foam cling to the glass.

Taste wise, expect dark chocolate, caramel, and raisin.

The finish includes everything you pick up in the taste, but also leaves a carbonated tingle on the tip of your tongue where the flavor of the hops used really stand out.

A beer like this just makes me want to go out and try everything this brewery has to offer. I just think it's that good. If you like this, I also recommend Left Hand's Black Jack Porter, it's a lesser brew in strength, but certainly not in flavor.

Cheers!
    I love Left Hand Brews, I bought their original Milk Stout after drinking a 6'r of the Milk Stout Nitro, I got something else by them yesterday but I don't feel like runnin downstairs to check, I'll try to remember to look after work
    Last night we had a bottle of Well's & Young's Courage Russian Imperial Stout - this is the beer that Portsmouth Brewery's famous, Kate the Great is modeled after. While it is definitely slightly hoppier and a tad on the bitter side, it also lacks the oak that Kate has, this is truly an outstanding stout. The fruit and smoke notes come through quite nicely. This one should cellar exceptionally well.
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Picked these up today to try out this weekend. May have to go back up there if I have some time this weekend. They had 30% off all single serve bottles.

• y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    amz1301:
    Picked these up today to try out this weekend. May have to go back up there if I have some time this weekend. They had 30% off all single serve bottles.

That Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout is delicious.
    y2pascoe:
    amz1301:

Think you just convinced me which one to drink tonight.
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    amz1301:
    y2pascoe:
    amz1301:

damn i didnt know you could get lagunitas way out there. the cap. stout is great. if you can find it try the wilco tango foxtrot
    Actually, the Peak Organic Mocha was really amazing. My girlfriend loved it and sent me looking for bottles. Currently at 3 in the cellar.

Tonight I got to try the famed "Heady Topper" by Alchemist Brewing in Vermont. Huge hop profile of pineapple, citrus, grassy notes and pine resin with a nice malt profile and balanced bitterness on the finish. This one was really good but I'm not sure it was up to the "legendary" status and hype.
    415:
    amz1301:
    y2pascoe:
    amz1301:

damn i didnt know you could get lagunitas way out there. the cap. stout is great. if you can find it try the wilco tango foxtrot
    I was lucky enough to get the WTF up here in Newport, RI not too long ago. Lagunitas is quickly becoming my go-to when it's available.
    y2pascoe:
    415:
    amz1301:
    y2pascoe:
    amz1301:

I was lucky enough to get the WTF up here in Newport, RI not too long ago. Lagunitas is quickly becoming my go-to when it's available.
    Cap Stout was great. I'll have to check on the WTF. First time I've been in that store. They had a lot more than I was expecting.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    this past week ive had a Great Divides Yeti Oak Aged Chocolate stout with ceyenne pepper in it! freakin delicious.

Also had my 750ml of Chateu Jiahu from DFH... had 2 years on it. Freakin insanely good. Oldest known brewed recipe on the planet!
    Rob1110:
    Actually, the Peak Organic Mocha was really amazing. My girlfriend loved it and sent me looking for bottles. Currently at 3 in the cellar.

Drinking one now. Ditto
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    I had this tonight. Kinda taste like a Mc Griddle lol
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    I had this tonight. Kinda taste like a Mc Griddle lol
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    Finally tried the Voodoo Doughnut last night with some friends and all agreed that it was interesting and definitely drinkable. Sweet and smokey maple candy on the nose with smoked malts up front on the pallet, maple came through mid pallet and continued well into the finish, where it was joined by burnt sawdust.

Also tried the new Sam Adams Longshot homebrew 6 pack. All three beers were good, respective of their style. The stout was nice but didn't stand out. The Alt stood out the most for me but had a strong alcohol astringency on the finish.

Had the He'Brew Funky Jewbilation and it was OK. Not terrible but nothing to write home about either.

The beer of the night was Port Brewing Older Viscosity. Compared it side by side with the old viscosity and it's amazing just how different they are. The old is much thinner, with a heavy roasted/burnt malt character and not much barrel presence. The older is much thicker, more complex and quite boozy but still a good sipper.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Stupid craft beer question-I have a lot to learn: Picked up some Chimay Premier and Ovila Dubbel the other day. As it was room temprature when purchased and I had a guest coming over for dinner and I wanted to share the beer, I placed both bottles in the freezer, intending to move them to the refrigerator after about a half an hour. Well...long story short, the beer was forgotten for about 3 hours in the freezer. After remembering them, they were placed in the fridge for a few days. I have since tried both and found them to be almost with out flavor and the color was wierd on both...like a dirty brown. So...my question is did I ruin the beer by freezing or are my expectations just too high on these?
    It's a definite possibility that they were affected by the freezing if they did, in fact freeze solid. I've stuck beer in the freezer to chill it quickly before but the more I drink, the more I enjoy beer at cellar temperature. Especially those two beers you mentioned. I'd suggest those between 40 and 50 degrees. Any colder than that and you'll begin to lose the subtleties in the beer.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Thanks-I think 40-50 degrees sounds about right. I'll give these another try.
    Ill just bump this up. Last few beers I have had have been sours. Got into Rodenbach. Fantastic mellow sour. Its something everyone should try. Also got my hands on a Lost Abbey Red Poppy and Goose Island Juliet. Loved the Red Poppy. Had a sort of red wine infusion along with it.
    I've been loving sours lately. Rodenbach is great, love Duchess, Boon, the Red Poppy is really interesting. They're tough to find around here but there are some pretty good brands. I find sours to be really refreshing in the summer.

Went to the Boston Craft Beer Fest last Friday. Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee was amazing, Widmer Bros had some interesting ones (Raspberry Russian Imperial was good and a Marrionberry Hibiscus Gose was really good), Heavy Seas had some decent brews, Sierra had a barrel aged stout that was ok, just thin, The People's Pint had an awesome barrel aged stout, Left Had Good Juju (ginger) was really good, Throwback had some pretty awesome stuff (I think it was those guys that had the Jalapeno beer and a Chai Porter - both were pretty amazing), Uinta Crooked Line Labyrinth was really good, all in all, it was awesome but there was just too much to remember.
    Bump
    Hey guys. Out of my passion for craft beers I decided to start a craft beer review blog using Wordpress. Mostly for my own entertainment, but I figured I just may be able to make a few good recommendations.

attackthebock.wordpress.com

Just one review up right now. Probably will put up another one tomorrow or Friday. Check it out, let me know what you think. I welcome compliments, criticism, spamming, and/or trolling.
  • VisionVision Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool. Victory Gold Monkey...... nuf said!