Home Non Cigar Related

She said I made her happy!

ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
Today is my wife's 34th birthday. When we got up this morning, I handed her a card and a box of her favorite Godiva Chocolates truffles. She smiled and said she loves me. As we went into the living room I asked her to step out onto the front porch with me. She seemed a bit puzzled at this request, but obliged me. I opened a pack of Marlboro Light's, took one out and handed her the rest. I lit my smoke and took a deep draw. She asked me what I was doing to which I replied, "I'm giving you my best gift yet. You're watching me smoke my last cigarette." She crushed the small white and gold pack in her hand as a tear came to her eye. She hugged me and whispered in my ear, "Thank you so much for such a beautiful gift."
Yeah, I have my moments...

Comments

• bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Very nice. It's tough to quit, but so worth it. FWIW I never actually quit. After multiple unsuccessful attempts I just told myself I would see how long I could go without one. So far it's been about five years.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Congratulation Daniel......pls stick with it. I have been trying hard for this day.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the encouragement, brothers1 Today hasn't been too bad, but I've had a lot to keep me occupied. right now I'm sitting at the firehouse nibbling my finger nails and chewing gum like a madman... Hopefully, I can make it through and everything will be ok. Jessica, being the sweetheart she is, graciously told me I could keep my cigars though!! Woot!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good move, Dude. I'm behind you all the way. Now, if you can keep from inhaling the cigars, it ought to be a walk in the park. The stogie itself should satisfy the oral craving and the diminished nicotine should ease you out of the addiction part. Hang in there, my friend, it's worth it.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Congrats brother. I quit too not long ago. Haven't regretted it for 1 second. Plus my wife lets me spend my cigarette money on cigars now, and doesn't even complain about it cause she's happy I quit cigs! It's win/win. Stick to it.
    Thanks for the kind words, Marty and Todd. With help from Jess and my brothers on the forum, I think I'll be ok. You guys rock!!!
  • Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    Thanks for the kind words, Marty and Todd. With help from Jess and my brothers on the forum, I think I'll be ok. You guys rock!!!

CONGRATS LITTLE BROTHER:)
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Pretty nice gesture to give her on her birthday. Do the best you can on this task, others less capable have done it....so too can you!!! P.S. she has a great birthday day....it is mine also today....except I'm 43 not 34 :)
    bearb:
    Pretty nice gesture to give her on her birthday. Do the best you can on this task, others less capable have done it....so too can you!!! P.S. she has a great birthday day....it is mine also today....except I'm 43 not 34 :)

I have every confidence that I can do it. I've got support from her and from the brothers here on the forum. Happy birthday, by the way!!
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    bearb:
    Happy bday!
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Good job brother, stick with it. The craving will wear off. I quit smoking cigarettes about 4 years ago. Also had to stop drinking alcohol for about a month too because as soon as I opened a beer I wanted a cigarette so bad. That will change though. I found hard candy along with the gum helps too. Good Luck !!!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you will be able to taste cigars better than you have in the past. Cigarette smoke kills your sense of smell.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Keep posting here so we can root you on brother....and threaten to break your f*ckin knees if you change your mind;)
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Way to go Daniel, glad u've decided to quit cigarettes, now you'll feel better, and have extra doe to spend on cigars... ;-).
    Once again, my heartfelt thanks for your words of encouragement. Interestingly, I haven't really had a craving for a smoke since yesterday morning. Wait, let me rephrase that... I haven't wanted a cigarette since yesterday! He lovely wife just told me that with all the money I spent on cigs, I coulda had a He!! Of a cigar stash by now... God, I love her!!
    Thanks for the kind words, brothers! I'll keep y'all posted on progress.
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Dan, you can do it!! Best wishes on the endeavour!! :-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Even Rico Suave himself would be impressed by the utter smoothness of your gift brother! :-) Best of luck in giving up the nails, and if you find yourself struggling with it shoot me a pm - I may have a trick or two that could help.

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    congratulations , rock on brother !
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Congrats man, what a way to break it to her too!

bbass2:
    Very nice. It's tough to quit, but so worth it. FWIW I never actually quit. After multiple unsuccessful attempts I just told myself I would see how long I could go without one. So far it's been about five years.
    Ive had to use that mentality with many things, i cant just make myself quit.
    Still going strong, brothers! No cigs or even an urge for one. I'm thinking the MOW PA I had earlier may have killed the Marlboro man...
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    You sly son of a ****.
    rwheelwright:
    You sly son of a ****.

Slick, like hair grease... ;-)
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear, Toombes. I applaud your commitment to giving up the cigs and that's a heck of a way to break the news to your wife, very cool.

Stick with it and soon you'll never even want to be near one of those little white packs again.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Hang tough dude. and best thing is to never mention again till your atleast one year in lol
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats man. Keep at it. BTW, you have a Badass name. lol
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    And then later that day you were outside smoking and she saw you and you screamed
    LOOK AWAY, YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SEE ME SMOKE ANYMORE, That was... my gift... you don't have to watch me anymore...
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Now that is an epic way to quit smoking. Good on you for making the commitment brother. You've got this!