Home Non Cigar Related
Options

must be getting old

2»

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    I remember my grandfather telling the story.. to call someone, you actually picked up the phone and got an operator, you told her who you wanted and she would connect you. When they got a modern phone it had a crack. His connect number was " three longs and a short" THAT is old.
    If it had a crack, I hope they took it back and got a new one with a crank.

My aunt and uncle had a party line up until about 10 years ago. You had to pick up the phone and tell the neighbor to get off it, so you could make a call.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Okay Opatience, I should slow down when I type. It did have a CRANK, but you got the point.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    jlmarta:
    kuzi16:
    i remember having a phone with a rotary dial instead of buttons.

And, believe it or not, I can still remember our phone number when we had a rotary dial phone when we lived in Detroit. I moved to California in 1956 so you know how long ago it was. We still had 'exchanges' in those days. Ours was Tashmoo. I have no idea what it meant. Our number was TA6-6224. Who said oldfarts can't remember s.hit?

Man is that funny . I remember our old rotary phone number from the 60's and 70's . We also had a party line , anybody remember those ? No no , not a line of coke you goobs , we shared a phone line with someone else . Just happened to be a relative up the road from us . If you picked up the line and heard someone else on it you were supposed to hang up ... now what fun was that for a kid ... ???
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    On a side note I have some very old dairy milk bottles from my granddads old dairy with 3 numbers on them for a phone number .
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    kuzi16:
    i remember having a phone with a rotary dial instead of buttons.

And, believe it or not, I can still remember our phone number when we had a rotary dial phone when we lived in Detroit. I moved to California in 1956 so you know how long ago it was. We still had 'exchanges' in those days. Ours was Tashmoo. I have no idea what it meant. Our number was TA6-6224. Who said oldfarts can't remember s.hit?
    When I was a kid in Brooklyn, 1962, ours was "Terrace 6-0851". Old farts, who knew?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Okay Opatience, I should slow down when I type. It did have a CRANK, but you got the point.
    Sorry bud, I couldn't resist it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    kaspera79:
    Sorry bud, I couldn't resist it.
    No worries I know you were just yanking my chain.
  • Options
    I sure hope that isnt gettin old. I remember being able to play back tones (those crazy AOL connection noises) to mess with payphones and dial up services... But I tried to use twitter once and I dont get it either. I saw on the news where the riots in egypt were "being fueled by twitter" or whatever. I dont understand how the hell that couldve worked.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks its all idiotic. Alot of my buddies use facebook as a communication tool, at least on here I dont feel like the odd man out!