Home Cigar 101

Cigar economics

JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
my question is simple: how is the price of a cigar determined? I walked into CVS today and noticed their Blend Masters or whatever junk they carry are between 3 and 9 dollars for singles. But the same holds true for the cigars in the local Tinder Box store (although they go further up into the $28 range for the most expensive. But the $3 cigars at Tinderbox are things like Punch and I think a Romeo Y Juliet. How can a cheap drug store cigar cost the same as Punch, which is far superior?

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The correct price for anything is whatever someone will pay for it - regardless of what the item is.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    jlmarta:
    The correct price for anything is whatever someone will pay for it - regardless of what the item is.
    this
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Price discrimination
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price doesn't always equal value. Also, price is used to set the expectations of the consumer. If you see a $3 it is presumably better than a 3 for $1 swisher and not quite as good as an $8 tatuaje. So while price can reflect the inputs used, cost of goods, biz model of the manufacturer, markup of retailer, and tax, sometimes companies just price to be competitive ie in the same "price" category. Its as much marketing as economics
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    I went to a cigar louge in the North End of Boston and the OpusX's were listed as being "Market Price", like they were shellfish or something. So I asked the waitress what they were selling for and she told me, "$78 a piece". Wrap your brain around that one.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    y2pascoe:
    I went to a cigar louge in the North End of Boston and the OpusX's were listed as being "Market Price", like they were shellfish or something. So I asked the waitress what they were selling for and she told me, "$78 a piece". Wrap your brain around that one.
    Sad, but true. As long people will pay it, they'll charge it.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    Were they Sharks??? If so maybe the lounge got confused and thought they were actually supposed to be priced like shellfish, LOL....

And yes-that's mind boggling.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    I think I would have actually laughed at them on that one.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    y2pascoe:
    Were they Sharks??? If so maybe the lounge got confused and thought they were actually supposed to be priced like shellfish, LOL....

And yes-that's mind boggling.
    You were just trying to buy Opus' when they're out of season, silly.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America