Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Oh yay! We got chickens.

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
Wife sent me these pics. The dogs are definatley interested.imageimage

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    -why does a chicken coupe have two doors?

-Because if it had four doors it would be a sedan.

im here all night. the nine o'clock show is completely different than the seven o'clock show...
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Mmmmm, I smelll barbeque
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    kuzi16:

im here all night. the nine o'clock show is completely different than the seven o'clock show...
    Ba Dum CHA!!! LOL Dont worry kuz, I already tipped my wiatresses. :-)

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    kuzi16:

Ba Dum CHA!!! LOL Dont worry kuz, I already tipped my wiatresses. :-)

... And the veal was excellent.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Winna winna chicken dinner ! ... at rhamlins house !!!
  • Options
    RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Ones Original Flavor, others Extra Crispy :D
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    We were thinking pretty hard about getting chickens too but in the end decided against it. How much time do you spend on them on a weekly basis?
  • Options
    Goldy:
    We were thinking pretty hard about getting chickens too but in the end decided against it. How much time do you spend on them on a weekly basis?
    I got no clue. Only had them 2 days but I told my wife there's no way I'm cleaning up after them it's her project. I can't stand birds they are nasty animals.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Goldy:
    I got no clue. Only had them 2 days but I told my wife there's no way I'm cleaning up after them it's her project. I can't stand birds they are nasty animals.
    Have your wife save the droppings for fertilizer. If you guys are into gardening, there are a number of seeds and grains you can grow for the chickens that will reduce your feed costs. I suppose it all depends on how much time you have, or want, to spend on them
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Goldy:

I always enjoyed raising chickens as A youngster. By the way they make A great stew if they become A problem. :-)
  • Options
    RBeckom:
    Rhamlin:
    Goldy:

I always enjoyed raising chickens as A youngster. By the way they make A great stew if they become A problem. :-)
    Guarantee! They are some egg laying fools though and I like me some eggs.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    RBeckom:
    Rhamlin:
    Goldy:

Guarantee! They are some egg laying fools though and I like me some eggs.

I'm planning on getting A few layers and A game rooster this fall for the egg production next spring.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    My coop is finally finished and the hens are en-route!!! I'll have pics up later this weekend. I'm getting 4 Ameraucanas and 4 Rhode Island Reds, all one year old and laying. Totally psyched!!!
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    chickens are awesome. and if you can let them roam a bit you will have alot less bugs
  • Options
    Oh yeah! Once they are acclimated to their new home they'll be spending my days off roaming around the yard free-ranging. They are great entertainment value fo sho.
  • Options
    We had games and reds when I was a kid. Can't beat fresh eggs and soupin them out when they get old lol
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Direwolf:
    We had games and reds when I was a kid. Can't beat fresh eggs and soupin them out when they get old lol

Wolf in the henhouse !!! Wolf in the henhouse !!! Sorry , couldn't contain myself LMAO !!!
  • Options
    I wonder how my dogs would take to them roaming the yard? They seem to have gotten used to them.
  • Options
    If you got a tough enough rooster the dogs will learn their place lol
  • Options
    Here we go!!! The coop:

the coop

the coop

the coop

the coop

the coop

...and the ladies:

the hens

the hens

the hens

the hens

I'm really psyched about these hens, I've wanted chickens for a long time. Wa-hoo!!!

• Options
    Really nice set up
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    Here we go!!! The coop:

the coop

the coop

the coop

the coop

the coop

...and the ladies:

the hens

the hens

the hens

the hens

I'm really psyched about these hens, I've wanted chickens for a long time. Wa-hoo!!!

That's really cool man
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Thanks! It was quite the project - it took up most of my free time for a couple weeks but I'm really happy with it. The ramp hinges up to keep them secure at night and it works on ropes so I don't have to climb in there. It's a portable tractor style. I made it in my drive-way in front of my shop and drug it over to the spot when it was done. I think the hens like it.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    According to "Colonel's Law" I'm not allowed within 200ft. of a henhouse... I also have to register when I move and inform local henhouses of my presence.
  • Options
    That's a lot bigger coup than ours. It says 3-4 birds but I think 2 is all this one needs.
  • Options
    Well I let the girls out today. It was pure pandemonium at first. My youngest dog was dead on them but they seem to be getting used to one another now. Except the hen that Piper tried to grab she's not to willing to come out while the dogs are around. But the dominate hen didn't back down. I think the dogs are weary of her.
  • Options
    StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    Fresh eggs! If yall have never had fresh eggs, you're missing out. You can even taste the difference in your baking. Definitely worth the hassle if you have the space and time.
  • Options
    My ladies are all laying about an egg a day. Yesterday's haul:

today's bounty

Having fresh eggs is so awesome!
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    My ladies are all laying about an egg a day. Yesterday's haul:

today's bounty

Having fresh eggs is so awesome!
    That's awesome bro.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    It's funny to watch Piper shell try to sniff their butts and when they turn around she'll take off halfway across the yard , guess she didn't like that beak.