Home Non Cigar Related
Options

legally blind

GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
Well I just got back from an abbreviated vacation because I have a fissure in my eyeball and am now legally blind in my right eye. It started on the hike down to the grand canyon and just got worse and worse so my wife and I decided to hike the whole way out yesterday and go to a clinic. Let me tell you that hiking out is a pain, 10 miles long and over 1 mile vertical. With all fingers crossed my eyesight should return to some degree but until then I can't even drive. One hell of a vacation. The good news is that since i can't work for atleast a week I'll have some time to burn through my stockpile of cigars I have been waiting to try.

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I was just thinking about you today and wondering where you've been I remember you saying you would be away till some time in April. Sorry to hear this news and I hope you have a full recovery. I had a serious eye problem last October that left me without vision in one eye for three months. A surgery and lots of recovery time and I'm back to about 75% vision.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bummer!! Man, I just want to offer my best wishes that this comes to at least a livable outcome. I can't imagine how I would react if this were to happen to me. I know life can continue in a situation like this but certainly not fully. Hang in there, my friend. My thoughts are with you.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Praying for a quick and full recovery Goldy , hate to hear that happened to ya .
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Kas , will your sight continue to improve beyond the 75% mark ? Best wishes headed your way my friend .
  • Options
    PM on the way geno.
  • Options
    Thanks fellas. Needless to say I am not too thrilled with the whole thing but assuming I make a decent recovery this is a great eye-opener to live each day like its your last cause things change quick.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Best of luck with the recovery Goldy. I've never heard of this condition. Hope it reverses.
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this man. I'll keep you in my thoughts.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Awful news Goldy, really hate to hear about this happening to anyone but especially a solid BOTL such as yourself. If there's anything at all I can do for you, please dont hesitate to let me know brother.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I hope everything heals up fast so you can see like you did before this. Hope you had some fun in the Grand Canyon while you were there.
  • Options
    well I just got back from the doctors office and my sight is indeed returning, even faster than they had expected. Looks like I will make a very good recovery and might not even need glasses by the end of it. What a relief!!

Interestingly, the doc just told me that when I first came in my eye looked so bad that he didn't think I would regain much vision so he is blown away with my recovery. I'm glad he kept that info a secret.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    That's great too hear dooood. Do they know what caused it?
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    Took the words right out of my mouth...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Direwolf:
    Yes, I got some sand in my eye that scratched the cornea and when I went to bed my eye lid dried out a bit so in the morning when I opened my eye the cornea stuck to the eyelid and split off my eyeball a bit. The resulting fissure tried to heal over the 3 days it took to get medical care so there was a fair bit of scar tissue that developed but the steroids they put me on seem to have reduced that significantly.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I had a cornea scratch from glass one time. Was not enjoyable at all. Really glad to hear about the good prognosis
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goldy:
    Direwolf:
    Yes, I got some sand in my eye that scratched the cornea and when I went to bed my eye lid dried out a bit so in the morning when I opened my eye the cornea stuck to the eyelid and split off my eyeball a bit. The resulting fissure tried to heal over the 3 days it took to get medical care so there was a fair bit of scar tissue that developed but the steroids they put me on seem to have reduced that significantly.

Well, I'm extremely happy to hear this positive news. I'll continue to hold good thoughts for ya, Goldy, and you continue to heal - quickly and completely. If memory serves me, getting sand or rock chips, etc. in your eye falls into the category of occupational hazard, doesn't it? If so, precautions would seem to be indicated - but I'm sure you know that already.
  • Options
    I feel for you Goldy, time, time, time. I've had a few eye surgeries (cataracts, detached retinas, and optic tumors,) and I am happy with the results of the surgeries. I feel you will be happy with the longer term recovery.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Cornea injuries hurt. I've had seven holes drilled in mine to remove rust rings from metal that was stuck in my eyeball. Glad it worked out and healed!
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Goldy:
    well I just got back from the doctors office and my sight is indeed returning, even faster than they had expected. Looks like I will make a very good recovery and might not even need glasses by the end of it. What a relief!!

Interestingly, the doc just told me that when I first came in my eye looked so bad that he didn't think I would regain much vision so he is blown away with my recovery. I'm glad he kept that info a secret.

Congratulations on your recovery. Sight is A precious thing.