Home Non Cigar Related

Help with the age of a bourbon

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
My kids grandpa gave me a bottle of bourbon that was never opened until tonight. A good portion or it has evaporated somehow, when trying to open it the cork fell apart and is now stuck in the bottle. Need to find a way to get it out without the cork falling into the bottle ugh. Any way hoping someone can help me find the age of this. It is 114 Old Grand Dad

This is a picture of the Tax stamp, the number on it is 894.

He said that it was his fathers and he remebers seeing it when he was a kid, he is 65 this year. Any help would be awesome, also any ideas of how to get the cork out?

Comments

• rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    that looks like Lot number 9 to me. You can find the number back of the bottle. JDH is an expert about bourbon. I am sure, he will be able to tell you more about it.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    rzaman:
    that looks like Lot number 9 to me. You can find the number back of the bottle. JDH is an expert about bourbon. I am sure, he will be able to tell you more about it.
    lot #11, I did not notice that on it...
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    If the cork is still wedged in tightly, u might try a cork screw, but it sounds like no matter what you do it will continue to crumble as you work on it....
    CvilleE:
    If the cork is still wedged in tightly, u might try a cork screw, but it sounds like no matter what you do it will continue to crumble as you work on it....
    ya I thought of that, but it just crumbles, I may be screwed
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    CvilleE:
    Good Luck, but also keep in mind this might not be very drinkable. as the cork dried out it unsealed, thus causing it to evaporate...setting for years unsealed has problaby affected it in more ways than one...
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look on You Tube. I know there are different videos for getting a cork out of a wine bottle............(of course w/o an opener).......I saw you smartazzes coming with your comments.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    bandyt09:
    Look on You Tube. I know there are different videos for getting a cork out of a wine bottle............(of course w/o an opener).......I saw you smartazzes coming with your comments.
    Todd, you're still making me laugh. Good one... It depends on how far you want to take this trying to get the bottle open without the cork falling in. There are different types of "corkscrews" that might work. I have one that goes along the edge between the glass and the cork that might work. I also remember one that would inject air beneath the corkscrew to force the cork out.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roberto99:
    bandyt09:
    Todd, you're still making me laugh. Good one... It depends on how far you want to take this trying to get the bottle open without the cork falling in. There are different types of "corkscrews" that might work. I have one that goes along the edge between the glass and the cork that might work. I also remember one that would inject air beneath the corkscrew to force the cork out.
    I knew someone would say something if I didn't put in the disclaimer. I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday.............................It was on Monday.
    CvilleE:
    deejmemixx:
    CvilleE:
    Good Luck, but also keep in mind this might not be very drinkable. as the cork dried out it unsealed, thus causing it to evaporate...setting for years unsealed has problaby affected it in more ways than one...
    This would make me sad
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, let me get this straight. You say your kid's grandpa (that would be either your father or your father-in-law) gave you this bottle, right? You don't know its age but you're trying to get the cork out of the bottle. What do you plan to do with it once the cork is out?

There wouldn't be any collector value to it once the cork is removed so the only practical thing I see would be to drink it - assuming it's drinkable. And it probably is. So, if you're going to either drink it or pour it down the drain if it's not drinkable, then why be so careful with the cork?? As a last resort, just push it gently in until it clears the neck of the bottle, then pour out the bourbon through a strainer so as to catch all the bits of cork, and then either re-bottle it, put it in a decanter and enjoy it, or pour it down the sink - whichever is appropos.

Problem solved. You can always track down its lineage and history via the distiller with the numbers and info that you have and that should satisfy your curiosity.
    According to one source, Old Grand Dad Distillery is now owned by Jim Beam. You'd have to inquire through them to track this bottle of 114 proof bourbon's lineage. Don't know whether they'd still have records that far back.
  • jailhousejailhouse Posts: 137
    jlmarta:
    So, let me get this straight. You say your kid's grandpa (that would be either your father or your father-in-law) gave you this bottle, right? You don't know its age but you're trying to get the cork out of the bottle. What do you plan to do with it once the cork is out?

There wouldn't be any collector value to it once the cork is removed so the only practical thing I see would be to drink it - assuming it's drinkable. And it probably is. So, if you're going to either drink it or pour it down the drain if it's not drinkable, then why be so careful with the cork?? As a last resort, just push it gently in until it clears the neck of the bottle, then pour out the bourbon through a strainer so as to catch all the bits of cork, and then either re-bottle it, put it in a decanter and enjoy it, or pour it down the sink - whichever is appropos.

Problem solved. You can always track down its lineage and history via the distiller with the numbers and info that you have and that should satisfy your curiosity.
    i was going to say use a coffee filter but a strainer would work good to
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Well, you COULD hold the end of a vacuum hose near the neck of the bottle as you chip away the cork with a dental pick, but I'd likely just push it through.
    jlmarta:

Well first not my father in law or father...an adopted gf of sorts...and why would that matter? Just wanted to know the age and to get the cork out with ot having particles of it.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Just push it down and decant the whiskey through a strainer. I suspect the booze is no good.
    beatnic:
    Just push it down and decant the whiskey through a strainer. I suspect the booze is no good.
    It smells fantastic, ok so if I do this I will just strain it...but how to know if ts bad? Is it like wine?
    deejmemixx:
    jlmarta:

Well first not my father in law or father...an adopted gf of sorts...and why would that matter? Just wanted to know the age and to get the cork out with ot having particles of it.

Whoa!! Easy, Bro. I was just trying to sort out the facts presented. No offense intended - - and I apologize if you were offended. As for the question, I think I answered it. Hopefully to your satisfaction.
    jlmarta:
    deejmemixx:
    jlmarta:

Whoa!! Easy, Bro. I was just trying to sort out the facts presented. No offense intended - - and I apologize if you were offended. As for the question, I think I answered it. Hopefully to your satisfaction.
    If u had offended me I would of let u know. There was no offense taken and thx for the response
    You're welcome. Have a great day.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    should have stored it on it's side... bummer... that is some pretty good stuff... push the cork in and strain it out. I have done it a few times now on REALLY old rums and whiskeys. The taste shouldnt be affected too bad, so long as it didnt absorb a ton of water or oxidize alot or something.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Take the advice of a few on here and just use a wine opener to pull the cork as best you can and strain it through cheese cloth or a coffee filter. If the bottle is that old and has seen a significant amount of evaporation, it's no longer 114 proof. Likely much lower. Remember, the alcohol evaporates quicker than water.

As for it no longer being any good, that's not necessarily the case. Since it is a distilled spirit, it is not as prone to oxidation as beer or wine, nor will it age any further in the bottle like beer or wine. If it has changed at all, the flavors will be concentrated without the heat of the alcohol. That may be a good or a bad thing.