Home Ratings & Reviews

Diesel Crucible

Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
Since this brand came out, I have not seen a ton of Chatter. Oddly, they already almost sold out or at least will be shortly. I would love to get some feedback on the blend.

Comments

• Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Alex, I received the original fiver from the forum deal and love this smoke.
    I did a review (to be published later), but I'll just say that to me it's as much of a chocolate bomb as the Camacho Triple Maduro.
    I felt like Augustus Gloop in Wonka's chocolate river.
    Similar to the Phalanx, but MORE.
    Speaking of more, I'll be hitting you up for a box in the next few days.
    ***EDIT*** Order placed.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Really?! I may jump then. Is it full or medium.
    Medium, stepping into full every now and then.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Dang, now this one sounds really good. It was way off my radar because of the 4 new MoW's, but now I might have to bump it to the top of the list...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    At $12/stick the options of what cigar to buy are enormous and 'Diesel' just doesn't seem to come to mind for me. I love the regular line very much but $12??? Too much for a diesel.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I've had 2. The front end of this cigar tastes like you're smoking fine milk chocolate. Very smooth, creamy, thick. This might be the smoothest cigar I've had in quite some time. The lower end is quite different than the beginning. Spices and leather appear and it builds in strength also. Jury still out!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    bigharpoon:
    At $12/stick the options of what cigar to buy are enormous and 'Diesel' just doesn't seem to come to mind for me. I love the regular line very much but $12??? Too much for a diesel.
    It isn't the same blend as the UHC though, so I'm not sure it is fair to say "12 is too much for a Diesel". In fact, it is as different from any other Diesel as the UHC is from the Unlimited.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    docbp87:
    bigharpoon:
    It isn't the same blend as the UHC though, so I'm not sure it is fair to say "12 is too much for a Diesel". In fact, it is as different from any other Diesel as the UHC is from the Unlimited.
    Tastes more like a MOW than a Diesel!
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    docbp87:
    bigharpoon:
    This is true, but I think his point is still valid. The crucible might be a fantastic stick, but at that price point, it's competing with some astonishing cigars like the Padron Anniversary that can be picked up on the various daily deal and bidding sites. I think the price is a little steep for an unknown.
    ndhaon91:
    docbp87:
    bigharpoon:
    This is true, but I think his point is still valid. The crucible might be a fantastic stick, but at that price point, it's competing with some astonishing cigars like the Padron Anniversary that can be picked up on the various daily deal and bidding sites. I think the price is a little steep for an unknown.

You can call it "taking a chance" (rolling the dice on AJ is usually a winning bet), but I hit Alex's original forum deal without any prior feedback, and I'm glad I did.
    As you can tell from my comments above, I think it's a winner...so much in fact that I ordered a box.
    As for paying $12 for a Diesel, just remember, you smoke the blend, not the name or band.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest creating a sampler of sorts. I'm with the guys here, at $12 I'm looking at Liga/padron/CC and know they deliver. I am a bit hesitant at that price honestly, but may consider a couple soon to give it a shot.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I was gifted one so the price point wasnt a factor and burned it tonight. First impression on first puf was Damn i'm smoking coffee. That quickly faded into a first third of medium body cocoa/earthy/cofee with a slight sweetness, very slight. Second third: toards the end the body kicked up a notch, still had a coffee cocoa character with a flavor i cant identify but i like it, very smooth presentation though. Last third brought about roasty, woody dry flavor with no sweetness but still very smooth and balanced. One thing about AJ cigars that amazes me is his ability to blend a stick that maintains balance throughout the flavor changes as it burns. I would buy more at 12 a sticks but might be hesitant due to the amount of other sticks i like in the 12 dollar range however the amazing balance is enough to make me have this is my humi again and for a while.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I smoked one today that I got in trade from BigT, so my thanks to Todd first and foremost. I was really impressed with this stick, aside from the burn...it kept wanting to canoe through the first half. Flavor was excellent, didn't feel like a Diesel to me though, not that I mind as I really did enjoy it. Now on to the price tag... Do I feel it warrants a $12 price per cigar? Quite frankly, no I don't. Now don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the cigar quite a bit but for $12 I could have bought two of something I like just as much. Taking that into consideration, for me this is not a good value...good cigar at $12, great at $6-$8.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    j0z3r:
    I smoked one today that I got in trade from BigT, so my thanks to Todd first and foremost. I was really impressed with this stick, aside from the burn...it kept wanting to canoe through the first half. Flavor was excellent, didn't feel like a Diesel to me though, not that I mind as I really did enjoy it. Now on to the price tag... Do I feel it warrants a $12 price per cigar? Quite frankly, no I don't. Now don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the cigar quite a bit but for $12 I could have bought two of something I like just as much. Taking that into consideration, for me this is not a good value...good cigar at $12, great at $6-$8.
    Glad you fired it up! I still haven't even gotten around to smoking one from the order I made... lol. Maybe soon...
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I would say with this cigar the materials used are rare and expensive and the limited supply justifies the price. Like Alex said there almost gone so people must think there worth it I sure due especially after only having one. Not alot of Tabacco has been grown in this region in Hondurus in many years so this cigar is special. I loved it and am hoping they will be in stock a little longer so I can buy a five pack. I would say with the other Diesel blends the price point is way under what they could charge due to the quality and with this stick the bar has been raised for the diesel line. I'm willing to bet after enjoying this stick everyone will say that it can compete with the big boys so my advice is give one a shot you won't be sorry.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I posted while back, loved it. I think i like it better than the unlimited.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Motown81Motown81 Posts: 1
    Just got my bx of Cruc's and before I continue, everyone's wallet is different. Im sure there
    that have payed way more than 12 for a stick. Im just a eguy who loves trying different blends. AJ is one of my favorite cigar makers, soI jumped on this one. It is a fantastic smoke. Very well balanced, but not as spicy as other Diesel sticks. Smooth and full of flavor. Guys treat your self to this one you won't regret it.
    I will try one this weekend and get back to you on it
    Smoked mine tonight.... 1st half was excellent, very consistent, smooth, and choclatley... Then I pulled three stems out of it.... Needless to say I can't say it was a $12 so Vinny offered an 85th padron to save me. It is a good cigar, but I could not justify the price in comparison to the UHC or other smokes at that range.
    I did a review a while back. I love the flavor profile, and thankfully I haven't run into any construction issues.
    Steve2010:
    I did a review a while back. I love the flavor profile, and thankfully I haven't run into any construction issues.
    The profile is good and I enjoyed it, but at that price it can't touch padron. I'd buy it for $6, not $12 after that experience.