Home Non Cigar Related
Options

my first firearm purchase

ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
So I will be picking up a couple guns here in the near future. I know for sure that I am going to get a Springfield XDm .45 4.5". I have shot this one a few times and just love the feel of it and how it operates. I've been going back and forth between the 3.5" and the 4.5" for a while because I know I will eventually get a CC license. I have settled on the 4.5" because I just like the bigger size. I have large hands and the 3.5" just looks and feels a little too small.

I'm also looking at getting a 12ga., possibly the Remington 870 tactical but I'm not 100% sold on that one. I know I want a 12ga. I can do a little bit of work on and I'm wondering if you guys know of anything that is a little on the inexpensive side what has a lot of after market options that I can play around with. Mostly I'm looking for something synthetic, must be black, and I want it to be fun to play with. the more shells I can stuff in to this thing the better, so I am looking at something with a long tube. Any suggestions?

Eventually I'll be purchasing a AR-15 for home defense as well. I looking in to the S&W M&P15 Sport but I don't love that it has no dust cover and no forward assist. Maybe there is a way to stay under say $700 and build one myself? I have a bit of knowledge when it comes to this style of weapon as I was in the Army for 5 years so I know that I can handle a build. I'm just looking for something durable and fun that wont cost me my whole rent check :-P Any thoughts, fellas?

Comments

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Buy what feels comfortable in your hand, that is the most important aspect in my opinion. I'll take an accurate shot over a large round anyday... That being said, i have a Glock 23 I plan on carrying and love it. Can't beat an 870, I have an 1187 and love it.
  • Options
    I fired the glock 23 as well and it's a great weapon! I just liked the feel of the XDm better. The glock feels lighter and less stable to me. After putting about 100 rounds through each of them I just enjoyed the Springfield more. I'm a decent shot and the groups and consistency I got from both of these weapons were very similar. I think if I get another handgun it will be a 9mm glock, probably the 17 because that thing hold like a billion rounds! And the price is unbeatable when comparing the quality of the build.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Guns are subjective so trust your judgement. I have small hands and it fits perfectly. I plan on getting a Kimber next when funds allow. I've put thousands of rounds through my Glock, only jammed once with some horrid ammo. Congrats my friend, good choice and support for the 2nd amendment.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    ejenne87:
    So I will be picking up a couple guns here in the near future. I know for sure that I am going to get a Springfield XDm .45 4.5". I have shot this one a few times and just love the feel of it and how it operates. I've been going back and forth between the 3.5" and the 4.5" for a while because I know I will eventually get a CC license. I have settled on the 4.5" because I just like the bigger size. I have large hands and the 3.5" just looks and feels a little too small.

I'm also looking at getting a 12ga., possibly the Remington 870 tactical but I'm not 100% sold on that one. I know I want a 12ga. I can do a little bit of work on and I'm wondering if you guys know of anything that is a little on the inexpensive side what has a lot of after market options that I can play around with. Mostly I'm looking for something synthetic, must be black, and I want it to be fun to play with. the more shells I can stuff in to this thing the better, so I am looking at something with a long tube. Any suggestions?

Eventually I'll be purchasing a AR-15 for home defense as well. I looking in to the S&W M&P15 Sport but I don't love that it has no dust cover and no forward assist. Maybe there is a way to stay under say $700 and build one myself? I have a bit of knowledge when it comes to this style of weapon as I was in the Army for 5 years so I know that I can handle a build. I'm just looking for something durable and fun that wont cost me my whole rent check :-P Any thoughts, fellas?
    You can google Bud's Gun Shop, they have very good pricing on just about all those that you mentioned. I think they have a retail store in Lexington catfish.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    OOPS, thought that I saw you were in KY catfish, my bad
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Congrats brother, the XDs are great and the XDm 45 is really nice. Have 3 XDs 2 .45 and 1 .40 Subcompact and love them. The takedown is easy and a the cleaning is easy. I have put 1000's of round through each and have never had problems.
    The Remington 870 tactical is a good choice it is customizable and realitively inexpensive. Enjoy exercising your 2nd Admendment right.
  • Options
    I'm actually surprised at myself for waiting so long to buy a gun! I was in the military at 19 and we kinda had some to mess around with there so I didn't need one then. And before taht, my best friend in high school had half the guns owned in NY state in his basement so I could take my pick and go have fun whenever I wanted to. Now I live in freaking Texas! and I've been out of the Army for like 11 months and I'm finally getting around to my first purchase... I thought I was going to get something as soon as I could when I got out of the Army, but I guess other things came first. I'm a firm believer in the second amendment and I actually plan on trying to get a M249 of some sort since it was my favorite weapon system from my deployment days :-)
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    Only advice I would give is that assault rifles r not good home defense weapons. They can hold a lot of rounds but the rounds r made to go a long distance and penetrate thing you may not want them to. Any round you let off your responsible for even a mile down the road. I know guns law are not as strict in other states as ny but you have to be careful with rounds that are over penetrating. There fun at the range and cool to own but be careful. Buck shot or 45 acp are a much better choice for the home.
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    My springfield 1911 is my all time favorite. that is my recommendation.
  • Options
    Where in Central NY are you Gaetano? I'm from that area, near Hamilton/Norwich.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I have both a Remington 870 and mossberg 500, my opinion, look at a 500 before you buy the 870. Lots upon lots of aftermarket accessories, and is reliable as all hell. My 870, after about 5000 rounds(I shoot trap) usually needs some part to keep it cycling usually the ejector and spring get funky. But I have never ever had issues with the 500.

I may be one of the few people who doesn't like the XD, I went with the S&W M&P instead which I found to be more controlable. That being said if you like the way it feels and the way it shoots, that's the only thing that Matters, go for it. I have a glock too but not a fan of it either, wife likes it so I keep it around. Saving for a FN 5.7 next. Killer round that not only hauls ass but the FN throws very accurat groups without much recoil and aims soooo fast. If you want to go the concealed route, see if your gun dealer will let you try it out(both sizes) in a carry holster. Don't be afraid of carrying a full size, some full size limbers carry well as does a beretta 92 fs in the right holster. Before I get flamed for that last one, try it :)
  • Options
    I actually shot about 100 rounds through the S&W M&P .45 as well. I really disliked it, only because the grip is far too small and almost hurt my hand because of that. other than that, it was the best in terms of how it actually fired and how it cycled when I was really getting on it. I loved it but the grip on the XDm is just bigger and fits so much better. If only S&W made a larger grip...
  • Options
    I had that problem until I swapped in the large blackstrap for it and Viola! Perfect for me. I'll never steer people away from this or that, it's all about what feels good to you and what shoots well for YOU. I will always tell people if I've encountered mechanical problems with a gun though. Or make sure they atleast look at something that has worked well for me in the past before they commit to something. Guns are a lot like cigars in that sense.
  • Options
    bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    I had that problem until I swapped in the large blackstrap for it and Viola! Perfect for me. I'll never steer people away from this or that, it's all about what feels good to you and what shoots well for YOU. I will always tell people if I've encountered mechanical problems with a gun though. Or make sure they atleast look at something that has worked well for me in the past before they commit to something. Guns are a lot like cigars in that sense.
    First thing you've said all night or done thats helped your cause Vinny...
  • Options
    I actually asked if they had the larger backstrap at the range where I fired the M&P and they didn't. I think, if they had it, I would probably purchased one right there on the spot. Maybe you and your guns should take a trip down to Austin My. Vinny ;-) I'll provide the drinks, you provide the hardware! The Mossburg 500 is definitely on my radar, I'd love to try it out. I might have to take a look and see if there is one available in the configuration I have in mind. Do you know of a decent AR-15 I might either be able to build or purchase for a good price, Vinny?
  • Options
    My brother lives in Texas..... Hmmmm. I think we could work something out this summer:)

Aahh the world of AR's! Personally I build. It's more personal that way and with some time and patience can be quite cost effective. BCM makes outstanding machinery and G and R Tactical(google em) is the only company that sells blemished lower receivers from them. They are mechanically flawless and bcm still stands behind them but they have a small scratch or knick that prevents them from selling them fulltime( kinda like seconds cigars). The awesome thing is that they come with a trigger, grip, mag release and tube/spring/buffer all for 250-275! Its off list so commie-fornia won't let me get one. Top it with a Armalite M-15, 16" A4 upper with some magpul MBUS iron sights and a magpul moe adjustable stock and you made yourself a awesome ar for right around 900. Add holo sight of your choice. The M&P lowers are very popular in my circles at the moment as well. I would stay away from del ton, century and Olympic. Those can either be non-spec or the lugs wear out kinda quick. Problem with armalite stuff is they are normally sold out of a lot of stuff fairly regularly.
  • Options
    good call on that lower, seems like a great way to save a buck! I'm more in to iron sights to be honest. I just like keeping the weight off. maybe if I could find a decent reflex that is low profile and light weight, but other than that, I have enough practice at CQC to be more than comfortable with iron sights for home defense. I really like the sound of that lower though! I might have to start this build soon now that you gave me that great lead.
  • Options
    A lot of people hate on AR's for home defense. If it bothers them that much get some frangible ammo and be done with it. Those are plenty accurat for cqc work. No need putting apit's or green tips in the neighbors living room. Not like it's a 308 anyway... If you need some more ideas lemme know....or if you need some obscure parts pm me :)
  • Options
    sounds good Vinny, thanks! I'm all excited to start building now haha and the LAST thing I need is another money-hungry hobby :-P
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    ejenne87:

Hey Evan I just figured I'd throw my two cents in on this ...... Excellent choice on the XD and before you drop the money on the 870 tactical I'd say get an 870 and set it up the way you want. You can usually get a great deal on a used 870 at a gun show and then there are a lot of places that have great deals on new furniture. Also look into the Saiga semi auto shotguns ..... I shot one and they rock, this will be the next toy after I get my pistol situated. And the S&W sport is ok but if you want an AR on the cheap with exceptional performance I'd say Del-ton industries they are actually ATI AR's I picked one up a few months back and love it. It also eats any ammo I feed it, a big knock on the S&W's and many other higher end AR's is they are very pick with ammo. The delton has been spectacular and I'd do it over in a heartbeat again ..... If you ever wanna build a really slick AR that's when I'd say to build. Hope this helps bro. As stated by Vinny earlier about the deltons I've fed 1500 rounds through it and she is flawless, my buddy who built on the other hand with a spikes tactical lower and Daniels defense upper has had a few issues and the gun is ultra sensitive with ammo.
  • Options
    To each their own. I think del-ton's are decent if you want a lead hose that's capable of hitting the broadside of a barn, But if you're having positive results with it...rock on! I had forgotten about the Saiga, i've heard many good things about them and am jones'ing to get my hand on one.
  • Options
    so I have decided to go with the Mossberg 500, only after reading many reviews and watching quite a few comparison videos. Also, Blackhawk makes a recoil-reducing stock that seems to be well liked, as well as many other great looking mods. I don't know if I'm still going to get the pistol or not any more. The thought of possibly building an AR-15 and adding some mods to the shotgun sounds pretty appealing. Although it's pretty hard to conceal a 12ga. ;-)
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    assault rifles r not good home defense weapons.

I'd agree with that. Luckily, the AR is not an assault rifle.
    Nor is it a great choice for close quarters. Your shotgun will be much better for that. You've made a good choice in the 500.
  • Options
    CmdioCmdio Posts: 9
    The 500 is great. So great that I've got 2 of them. Just be aware that it is not as easy to add extra magazine tube capacity to a 500. Not impossible but pretty much as costly as buying one with the mag capacity you want (one of the main reasons I have 2). One thing I like most about the Mossy is the tang safety.

I bought a mp15 sport as my first AR and I'm not sureI will buy another AR. The forward assist isn't really necessary and I don't really need a dust cover. What sold me was the lifetime warranty. Mine is still bone stock, just keeping things simple.

I think you should still consider a pistol. If I had to pick two weapons from a 3 gun setup I would definitely pick a shotty and a pistol. There is no more versatile weapon than a 12 ga shotgun.

Add the AR later, and if you are worried about a future ban of some sort just pick up a stripped lower and build one when you can.
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Gunbroker can be a great friend for a good deal. Another idea for the AR, look at Spikes Tactical, he puts together an awesome rifle, most times already with some good custom accessories at a very good price. But the shotguns are the most underrated form of home defense. Although my wife has a pistol, she still reverts to the shotgun because she knows all she has to do is point in the general direction and let the cannon do the rest.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Here's one of my 500's... found this one used for about $150, it came with the barrel setup at the bottom. Got a 20" barrel and mag tube combo at Brownells for around 130 and ended up with an "almost 590" for a meager investment.

Mossberg 500 20"
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    Gunbroker can be a great friend for a good deal. Another idea for the AR, look at Spikes Tactical, he puts together an awesome rifle, most times already with some good custom accessories at a very good price. But the shotguns are the most underrated form of home defense. Although my wife has a pistol, she still reverts to the shotgun because she knows all she has to do is point in the general direction and let the cannon do the rest.
    Big +1, almost all of my guns have come from gunbroker, gunsamerica or auction arms.
  • Options
    do you have a FFL? how does that work? I've been to gunbroker a few times and I like the site but the guy I know with a FFL is all the way in NY...
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    If you goto buds guns they have an FFL finder right on the website .... most usually charge between 15-30 bucks to do the paperwork.
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Almost any gun shop will accept a FFL transfer for a nominal fee. I don't think I have paid more than 50 for a fee.