Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Rocky Patel Olde World, Natural, Toro

2»

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    LMAO ... yea the sungrown and edge maduro are my faves.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the edge is a better corojo than the OWR. i wasnt a big fan of the maduro edge. i find that strange cos in general i like corojo.
  • Options
    The edge is a much better corojo than the OWR. The sumatra edge is quite tasty as well.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i havent had the sumatra edge yet. how bout the edge knockoffs? (also made by RP) i hear its the same blend just made by their "B squad" rollers. tried em? does it make a difference?
  • Options
    Have not tried them. The manager at a B&M said they are exactly the same WHEN you get a good one, he's actually tried to stop carrying them because one out of three has issues. Just what I've been told.
  • Options
    MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    madurofan:
    Have not tried them. The manager at a B&M said they are exactly the same WHEN you get a good one, he's actually tried to stop carrying them because one out of three has issues. Just what I've been told.
    I've tried the Edge knockoffs and they're very inconsistent and the price they're selling them at I want a good cigar every time....I had such issue with them I gave them to my neighbor he luvs them but then he like machine made cigars too..another mans trash is another mans treasure
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    madurofan:
    Good info, that. Thanks.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    I just finished one last night, and considering I am a fan of Rocky's other offerings, this one left me a bit disappointed. From that start, this one gave me problems. I think it may have been rolled too loose, for it felt spongy (not moist spongy, for the rh was 68%; more like not full), and the ash was not compact; it would not fall off in a nice solid tube, but flake off.

The flavor did not offer me much, but that probably came from the fact that I was pouring butane into it to keep it alight throughout the life of the cigar. I have a maduro left, I am hoping for far better things from it. I would not think that they have box press issues, as this is not his first line in that style.

RRS = "Meh"
  • Options
    Smoke=Fire:
    I just finished one last night, and considering I am a fan of Rocky's other offerings, this one left me a bit disappointed. From that start, this one gave me problems. I think it may have been rolled too loose, for it felt spongy (not moist spongy, for the rh was 68%; more like not full), and the ash was not compact; it would not fall off in a nice solid tube, but flake off.

The flavor did not offer me much, but that probably came from the fact that I was pouring butane into it to keep it alight throughout the life of the cigar. I have a maduro left, I am hoping for far better things from it. I would not think that they have box press issues, as this is not his first line in that style.
    Good review. Thanks for more info.
    Smoke=Fire:
    RRS = "Meh"
    LMAO
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    I had my first bad experience with a Rock today. The connecticut. The entire stick tasted stale. I mean like a Dutch Master Treat that was left in your car for months. But I worked on it for half an hour and couldn't stand it anymore. Burn was fine, it was in the same humidor as 100 others that never present a problem, it was not a storage, humidifacation problem. Just taste awful. Score 99 great --1 terrible. I still love Patel Products just one bad stick. P.S Not to slam Dutch Masters just to give an example of how improper storage will affect any cigar. ;) ..
    I had a RP Connecticut two days ago. While the taste wasn't bad, the draw was ( I keep my humi at 70 RH). I drew WAY too easily, and the stick only lasted about 40 minutes. The taste was a bit dry but still gave some decent flavor, imo.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I had a RP Olde World Reserve (maduro) while having a drink at my local Cigar Bar. It was a beautiful cigar and it was a great smoke. I would say it was medium to full bodied cigar, leaning more towards full bodied though. I would definitely buy more. I also bought a couple of RP Decades (toro), I hear good things about them and they were rated 95 by CA.

"Long ashes my friends."