Home Cigar 101
Options

Temperature

catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
Being that the beetles are coming....I was curious if anyone has any ideas for bringing temp down in a tradtional humi. My cooler stays rock solid around 72-73, but my CC humi is runnign at 75...then up to 77 and it's freaking me out. So....anyone ever freeze a humi pack or drymistat tube to bring it down a bit? Looking for ideas, I've moved it to different places in the hosue to try to bring it down and it will only get hotter in the coming weeks.

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Since humidity is much easier to control than temperature, I'd suggest focusing on that. Now if temp is way out of whack, like 80+. then perhaps an ice pack wrapped in a towel would work. Summers get pretty hot down here and I've had consistent humi temps well into the 70's and no beetle outbreaks in the past 4 summers since I've been into cigars...much like mold, beetles require temp and humidity to be a problem, or so I've read, so controlling one factor should control the situation.
  • Options
    Honestly the Johnny o's had me worried a bit, being as fresh as they are. Last year I only had 30 cigars or so at any given time...this year...just a few more than that lol
  • Options
    Definitely control the humidity on the Johnny-O!s...I kept the RH a little high on mine around 72% I think, and one single cigar hatched beetles. Oddly enough, I found no beetle corpse or other afflicted cigars. Now they sit around 65% and no issues at all...and I do check them periodically.

Edit to add: The cigar in question was a factory roll if I'm not mistaken. Was not a shag foot in any event.
  • Options
    I went the Boveda route and have them with my CC's. In the next month or so, I will have a cooler just for both
  • Options
    I have an imperfect 120 ct humidor coming, picked it up for $40, that will be a dedicated Johnny-O! humidor. Will get some pics up as soon as it's seasoned and loaded.
  • Options
    SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    catfishbluezz:
    Being that the beetles are coming....I was curious if anyone has any ideas for bringing temp down in a tradtional humi. My cooler stays rock solid around 72-73, but my CC humi is runnign at 75...then up to 77 and it's freaking me out. So....anyone ever freeze a humi pack or drymistat tube to bring it down a bit? Looking for ideas, I've moved it to different places in the hosue to try to bring it down and it will only get hotter in the coming weeks.
    I've looked in to this before and what I was told buy a guy that had been smoking cigars longer then I had been alive at that point is, don't introduce anything super cold (anything frozen) to the inside of any humidor. Not only do you have to worry about cigars becoming damaged due to quick drop in temp but the wood inside as well. It would also take more then one frozen item to drop the temp as only one item would be met with the heat and turned back in to liquid quickly. What he suggested is to bring the temp down inside the humidor by working from the outside of it. Set up a fan that either blows directly on or oscillates on the humidors depending on how much of a temp drop you need. Also keep it covered with a towl and if it gets really hot in the house start freezing towls over night and in the morning take the frozen towl and cover each humidor. That should help maintain temp for most of the day. Just make sure you put a dry towl over the humidor first to protect the wood, cooladors lay the towl directly on it.

Ive even heard of guys taking their smaller humi's and putting them in the fridge for the warmest part of the day. Don't know if I would do that though. Hope this helps
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive had a few humis in the past summers go as high as 80+ (nothing you can do about it out here in So Ca. unless you're crankin your AC 24/7) but kept the RH 63-65%. No Problems.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Ive had a few humis in the past summers go as high as 80+ (nothing you can do about it out here in So Ca. unless you're crankin your AC 24/7) but kept the RH 63-65%. No Problems.
    Thats why I love basements, pretty consistent here in the southeast!
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    danielzreyes:
    Basement? What's that?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    mmccartneydc:
    danielzreyes:
    Basement? What's that?
    LOL
  • Options
    Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    My temp is hitting 75 now my humi is in the coolest part of my house my be room! RH is staying at 65-68 should I worry about temp an if not when should I????
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I'm loving the idea of a dedicated Johnny-O! humidor! Wheels are turning in ol' duder's head...
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    I'm loving the idea of a dedicated Johnny-O! humidor! Wheels are turning in ol' duder's head...
    I'm going that route. Just about seasoned and ready to load up.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take them out a freeze them for 3 days. This is by no means guaranteed to work but it's supposedly affective.