Home General Discussion
Options

Something new to pair with my smokes

ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
Thought I would ask some opinions on pairing drinks with my cigars. Seeing as I'm Welsh, then you understand that I always have a good bottle of scotch on hand. Currently I'm working on a bottle of McClelland 1818 Islay. Rather smooth with a fair amount of peat and you can almost taste the salty sea breeze when you take a sip. My next bourbon purchase will be Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace.
That being said, I'm thinking Cognac sounds like a must have. I know there are too many brands to list, so I'd like to hear some suggestions and what the Brotherhood would recommend pairing with it.
I'll thank you ahead of time for your thoughts and considerations.

Comments

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    As for brands, I highly recommend Pierre Ferrand. Everything that comes out of that distillery is fantastic. They also make cognac for Gabriel & Associates. Remy and Hennessy are both good for giants, I've never been a huge fan of Courvoisier, Hine isn't too bad, wasn't impressed with Kelt (Tour du Monde) and Martell Cordon Bleu was nice. That should get you started.

I've posted my info on cognac on here before in this thread.
  • Options
    Thanks, brother. I'll look at your thread as well.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    You absolutely can not go wrong with Woodford Reserve! My absolute favorite!!! I really don't drink much other than bourbon however, I bought a bottle of Wiser's the other day, and to tell ya the truth, I liked it better than Crown. Living just outside Chattanooga I recently bought some Chattanooga Whiskey bc it had just came out...had a bit of bite bc of the rye content. Also, being welsh, Im sure you've had Penderyn which I enjoyed a lot too!
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Appleton's, Zaya, Zacapa 23...rum baby
  • Options
    I love my Woodford! Dr M, can't say that I've had the Penderyn but I'll look for some. Catfish, haven't tried rum with a smoke yet. Maybe that will be a plan for the weekend. Thanks guys!
  • Options
    Speaking of, I thought about creating a thread about great pairings where ppl could post pics of pairs that they've tried and liked but being a noob, and seeing that there was already a picture thread, I didnt want to step any toes. I take pictures of the pairs Ive tried and liked (very limited, ha) and thought it would be a great way to try some new stuff. Also, if there is already one, then bump it for me please...or I guess we could just do it here...(smacks self in forehead)...
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Aberlour Scotch. Smooth as all getout. The 12 is only about $50 a bottle. My wife even likes drinking it (in very small sips). Which says something.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Coffee , black, or light n sweet. Rootbeer too.
  • Options
    Direwolf:
    Coffee , black, or light n sweet. Rootbeer too.

Coffee is a given, brother! Even more so when I'm stocked up on Tat Especiales. Makes for an awesome start to the day!
  • Options
    ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Zaya is without a doubt simply fantastic.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I've said this before but need to say it again. McDonald's Chocolate Shakes! Mmmm Awesome!
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    I've said this before but need to say it again. McDonald's Chocolate Shakes! Mmmm Awesome!

Strangely enough, strawberry Crush isn't have bad with the right stick...
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    FYI chocolate is like Gatorade for the palate when you're taking on 2-3 sticks on a night. Toblerone is a good one
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I would say it all depends on what you looking to spend and you taste. I am familar with the Henenssey brand so I will stick to that. The VS is a good blend a little harsh if your not used to it but not bad. The VSOP is alot smother with a deeper flavor profile. The next step would be the XO which is a even richer and deepr congac flavor but I would say it would be reserved for the experinced Cognac like alot of high end scotch's. I would suggest the VSOP you won't be disappointed., There are other like Remi Martin I just have not enjoyed it other than on my last vacation a bottle was in our room.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imgembo:
    catfishbluezz:
    Zaya is without a doubt simply fantastic.
    ^^^^^ This! Zaya for sure!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your suggestions, brothers! 90+, the suggestions you texted earlier were excellent as well. I'll do my best to look into all of them. I'll delete the thread in the morning to make room for something more useful to the Brotherhood.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    I love my Woodford! Dr M, can't say that I've had the Penderyn but I'll look for some. Catfish, haven't tried rum with a smoke yet. Maybe that will be a plan for the weekend. Thanks guys!
    Dan, do it and do it soon. It is like they are made for each other. A bottle of Zaya will be really inexpensive and will give you a good idea if rum and cigars is a good pairing for you.
  • Options
    bandyt09:
    Toombes:
    Dan, do it and do it soon. It is like they are made for each other. A bottle of Zaya will be really inexpensive and will give you a good idea if rum and cigars is a good pairing for you.

Courtesy of the Brotherhood, I now have a rather extensive shopping list. Thanks for all of your recommendations!
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    You are missing a sweet rum my friend. Try Guetamalan Ron Zaccapa or Nicaraguan Flor de Cana with spicy cigar.
    Toombes:
    Thought I would ask some opinions on pairing drinks with my cigars. Seeing as I'm Welsh, then you understand that I always have a good bottle of scotch on hand. Currently I'm working on a bottle of McClelland 1818 Islay. Rather smooth with a fair amount of peat and you can almost taste the salty sea breeze when you take a sip. My next bourbon purchase will be Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace.
    That being said, I'm thinking Cognac sounds like a must have. I know there are too many brands to list, so I'd like to hear some suggestions and what the Brotherhood would recommend pairing with it.
    I'll thank you ahead of time for your thoughts and considerations.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your recommendations, Brothers! Seems like I'm gonna need a reason to explain a mini-bar to my wife...
  • Options
    Toombes:
    Thanks for all of your recommendations, Brothers! Seems like I'm gonna need a reason to explain a mini-bar to my wife...
    Heard you weren't too far from me, feel free to drop in and sample some that I mentioned if you are ever in the area!