Home General Discussion

What's your stogie size preference?

Me personally I like Robusto and Corona for some reason I get a better flavor profile with these sizes. For example I'm smoking an Oliva V Double Toro and compared to the Belicoso size the Belicoso wind hands down in my book. I've smoked all sizes and I've had better luck with the smaller sizes. The oval gordo I smoked many burn issues and less flavor. What do you guys think

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Subjective bro.... For a while there, i was all over corona's. Then i smoked a MUWAT...and fell in love. It really depends on the blend, but smoking a lancero takes some discipline. I think I can now tell when a blend will taste more to my liking in teh smaller or larger vitolas based on past experience. Example: had the Illusion Epernay last night in a large vitola that was probably 6x52...and while I liked it, I felt I would love a corona or lancero version of this and will now be on the hunt for some. Over time, I think you can discern what you like in a blend and pick the according vitola. Keep in mind, the more expereienced rollers are more likely making the smaller-longer vitolas and the torpedos. Sometimes this is a benefit, sometimes it is not.

Lately....it seems like I am heading to the world of lanceros and wanting to try as many as possible.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I used to be all about the big gauge sticks, Toros, Gordos and such. Lately I've been really digging the Robustos, Coronas and Lanceros. I agree that I seem to get a better flavor profile with these sizes.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/606.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/post/147556.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/post/44215.aspx
    Heres a few threads Im sure theres more..Instead Of creating a new thread I would like to suggest finding a thread that meets your criteria and reusing it,, FWIW
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    catfishbluezz:
    Subjective bro.... For a while there, i was all over corona's. Then i smoked a MUWAT...and fell in love. It really depends on the blend, but smoking a lancero takes some discipline. I think I can now tell when a blend will taste more to my liking in teh smaller or larger vitolas based on past experience. Example: had the Illusion Epernay last night in a large vitola that was probably 6x52...and while I liked it, I felt I would love a corona or lancero version of this and will now be on the hunt for some. Over time, I think you can discern what you like in a blend and pick the according vitola. Keep in mind, the more expereienced rollers are more likely making the smaller-longer vitolas and the torpedos. Sometimes this is a benefit, sometimes it is not.

Lately....it seems like I am heading to the world of lanceros and wanting to try as many as possible.
    +1 Dustin, totally agree, except with the Epernay part. That thing was amazing as is LOL. The Epernay corona would be the Le Ferme.
  • kingdavid5kingdavid5 Posts: 293
    Good points the lanceros that I have smoked have been great it's just the bigger vitolas to me lack that punch I find in the smaller sizes for example the under crown robustos are by far my favorite size I find myself always buying new sticks in robusto or corona to get a better profile the only exception to padron anniversary every size I have smoked has been great
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    catfishbluezz:

Got you covered on the smaller gauge Epernay, I definitely think the skinnies are better in that blend, but the Le Ferme is excellent too and not what I'd call skinny.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    If you wanna be technical, the "stogie" is a very particular cigar size and shape. it is generally a 7 inch cigar with a ring in the area of 34. most of us would call it a lancero. they also differ because they had no binder, they are just filler and wrapper. this particular style of cigar was favored in the mid 1800s by the the people moving west in conestoga wagons. the cigars took their name from the wagon by shortening it to "stogie." they were cheap, dry cured for travel outside a humidor, and made in America.

i dont wanna get technical so its all good.

my favorite vitola is currently the lonesdale.

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:

"It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:

Dunno what happened to my previous post, but a big +1 to this
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Corona gorda, but due to availability I mainly have robustos.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    subjective..depends on the blends.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Still too new(b) to know, however, I have found that I like boxed pressed a lot. Not sure why, just do.
  • jailhousejailhouse Posts: 137
    mmccartneydc:
    Still too new(b) to know, however, I have found that I like boxed pressed a lot. Not sure why, just do.
    +1
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    catfishbluezz:

Dunno what happened to my previous post, but a big +1 to this
    I've always liked the Padrons in natty and maddy, only had one maddy left or I would have sent you one of those to. That LGC was actually pretty darn good. I ordered a couple MF #4's, but haven't seen the blue anywhere. I think I am just going to hunt lanceros at every B&M I go to now. So far, the tat black and possibly some of the San Lotano's are on my list.

Joe, the Epernay in the smaller vitolas just seemed to make sense to me when I smoked the larger one last night. For some reason, I will find smokes from time to time that make more sense in the smaller gauges, and others that don't. I wish Padron made their anny's in lancero's.
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/606.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/post/147556.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/post/44215.aspx
    Heres a few threads Im sure theres more..Instead Of creating a new thread I would like to suggest finding a thread that meets your criteria and reusing it,, FWIW
    Haha - didnt we discuss this recently?