Home General Discussion
Options

Who Is Ramon Bueso?

Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
Gentleman, I wanted you to be the first to hear some very exciting news. For the last decade I have been a veteran of cigar country. While I am always looking out for great tobaccos, I am always looking out for rising stars and under the radar blenders. While 99 out of 100 guys I meet dont impress me to the point that I write about them, I have discovered a true gem which I am helping to bring to market this year. Some of you who have been Cigar.com faithful and forum members may remember a series of articles I wrote about 5 years ago about a name no one had ever heard before... AJ Fernandez, who we helped bring to to the US market by introducing him to various distributors and has become a rising star with his San Lotano among other notables like Diesel and Man O War which where his gateway brands and are a fan favorite. Last year I met a guy named Ramon Bueso who is the first guy that really stirred me up the way AJ did. The funny thing is, he is very different from AJ. He isnt Cuban, he is Honduran, and he isnt young like AJ, he is in his 50's. He brings a very different perspective to cigar making and has a very interesting pedigree. I smoked his blend in the fall last year and his cigar is scheduled for a July launch (the 5th to be exact). I set him up with a distributor and of course, Cigar.com will be have them for sale on day 1. The reason I wanted to bring this up is because Ramon will be at Cigar Fest this year. He was a bit of a last minute exhibitor and he will be handing out his new blend. The brand is called "Genisis The Project". If any of you are headed to cigar fest next week, this is a booth you need to stop by. Since Ramon's english isnt great, he asked me to help out so I will be stationed over there at least for part of the time giving him a hand. I wrote an article that will be running in our July catalog and in an upcoming newsletter about Ramon which is below. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up that are headed to cigar fest, someday you will look back and say I was the first guy to smoke a Ramon Bueso cigar.

ARTICLE

Five years ago, I wrote an article similar to this after my first meeting with AJ Fernandez. AJ thoroughly impressed me and what began with an article unveiling him to the public for the first time, ended with super stardom. The article drew people to AJ to such an extent that today he is a household name for any cigar aficionado. AJ has a reputation for blending some of the industry’s greatest cigars and his popularity all started with a simple article. I thought my random chance meeting AJ and discovering a super star blender was a once in a lifetime event; however, on a recent trip to Honduras I encountered another extremely talented tobacco man who’s been flying under the radar for four decades! He’s worked in every facet of the cigar industry, from tobacco buyer and processor to blender. So, who is this new mystery tobacco man you need to know about? They call him Ramon Bueso.

In fall 2011, I crossed the border into Honduras, on my way to Danli, and made my usual stop at the Plasencia San Marcos factory. When I arrived, Nestor and I exchanged our usual greetings and I heard someone mention Ramon Bueso was in the back looking at a bale of tobacco. My mind raced back and forth trying to remember where I heard that name before. I thought, “Bueso, Bueso … Oh yes, that’s a cigar I heard people talking about around town.” The cigar industry is a small community featuring only a tiny group of well-known cigar makers who have ever penetrated the US market. However, there are many cigar makers and tobacco men throughout Central America whom fame and notoriety have escaped, many times because they don’t speak English and found no way to access clients in the States. At Cigar.com, I’m always keeping my eye out for talented, overlooked blenders. Unfortunately, 99 times out of 100 I come up empty handed as I’m rarely impressed with the individuals I find. But there is always that 1 percent chance that I’ll meet someone who really grabs my attention; such was the case with AJ Fernandez and such is the case with Ramon Bueso. So the cigar I’ve been hearing about around town was simply called “Bueso” because it was the cigar Ramon Bueso always enjoyed and one he always kept in his pocket. I ventured into the back of Nestor’s factory and introduced myself to this mysterious Ramon Bueso character. Fortunately, he offered me a cigar before I had the chance to ask. Upon first inspection, I knew immediately why everyone was falling in love with Ramon’s cigar; it sports a dark and oily Cuban-seed wrapper grown in Connecticut. This tobacco is a rare prize, found only at a small handful of factories and known for its deep flavor, which is rare for such a heavy leaf that’s fermented to such a dark color. Ramon and I enjoyed a coffee as I burned through his treasured blend. I found it exceptional with medium to full-bodied notes of earth, leather and a pleasant spiciness that continued onto the finish. After enjoying the cigar and hearing Ramon’s story, I knew I needed to get this cigar into United States.

Ramon’s story is not your usual story of Cuban exile. Currently in his 50’s, Ramon was born in Honduras and was brought into the cigar industry in a series of unlikely events that afforded him amazing opportunities. His first memory of tobacco took place on a small plot of land owned by his grandmother, which she leased to Angel Oliva in the 1960s. After the Cuban revolution and the subsequent nationalization, the most notable cigar makers from Vuelta Abajo fled Cuba to continue their passion for tobacco cultivation and cigar creation. Perhaps Honduras was the most popular country these Cuban refugees called their new home. At the time, the tobacco pioneers in Honduras were Angel Oliva, Julio Eiroa and Frank Llaneza, all legends in their own right. Ramon’s grandmother’s farm was essentially ground zero for the growth of Honduran tobacco as we know it. Ramon would spend countless days at the farm, watching the tobacco mature from a small seed to a blooming plant in just 90 days. In the 1970’s, at only 15 years of age, Ramon found his first job in the tobacco industry at the now-famed Villazon factory. As a bunchero and roller, Ramon took to cigar making like a duck to water. His ability to quickly learn all the aspects of cigar making didn’t go unnoticed. After only two years, Frank Llaneza (the owner of Villazon) took note of Ramon’s attention to detail and asked for his help with book keeping. Flattered by the offer, Ramon took quick advantage but soon after realized he missed having his hands on the tobacco. He didn’t want to be a book keeper. He was a tobacco man. So he spoke with Frank and before long, Ramon became Frank Llaneza’s right-hand-man in helping as a buyer and processor of tobacco. It was during this time that Ramon started working with another prominent individual, Frank’s partner Estelo Padron; a name thoroughly known throughout the cigar industry. At their side, Ramon learned some of the oldest traditions in cigar making which Frank and Estelo brought with them from Cuba. Ramon would serve in this capacity until 1995.

Today, Ramon is well-known among tobacco men throughout Latin America but most cigar consumers have never heard his name. After four decades, it’s time for Ramon Bueso to step out into the spotlight and be recognized for his many talents. As a matter of fact, I, along with my Cigar.com expert staff, am a true believer in Ramon. While Ramon’s name may not be one you’re familiar with now, I’m betting his name will be as common as Don Pepin Garcia, AJ Fernandez or Rocky Patel in a short period of time. His first debut in the US market is the very same cigar I enjoyed in Honduras last year… but with a new name: “Genesis – The Project” by Ramon Bueso. The cigar has seen limited tastings at consumer events in early 2012; all met with rave reviews, and is making its official debut in July 2012. We believe in “Genesis – The Project” so much that we dedicated a full page to the product in this catalog, something I never let my expert staff do for a brand new line of cigars. Do not miss your chance to say you were one of the first people to discover Ramon Bueso. Pick up some singles or even a box of Genesis – The Project; you won’t be disappointed. We guarantee it!

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nice.

i want your job.

since i cant have it, im glad you share things like this. I can at least live vicariously through these posts.

is there any hints at what the blending style is all about? what kind of tobacco he prefers to use? flavors he has in all of his cigars?
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I will be at Cigarfest Saturday and def excited to check out what Ramon is all about. I'm all about checking out a new blender with such a high recommendation from you Alex see you there.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Awesome! Looking forward to meeting him next weekend. Will he be at the Friday night bon fire?
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Thanks Alex ... looking forward to the launch !
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Wish I was attending the festival, can't wait for ccom to get them to try!!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    I am going to talk to Ramon about trying to get some pre-release samples. The same ones he is handing out at the event next week. If I can convince him, I will do a special forum deal on a five pack so people who cannot attend the event can try them. I will keep you posted. To answer kuzi's question, this is not a typical cigar. It is definitely boutique in nature but the blending style is very unique and different from many things on the market. That is what drew me to him. The cigar is a solid medium or Medium to full. It has excellent balance and a rich flavor that is not in your face like so many of the other brands on the market today which focus only on power and not flavor. Because specific flavors are so subjective, I do not want to go to far into that but it really had all of the natural tones including earth, spice, wood, and nuts. This type of complexity was unique and highly enjoyable. He uses a habano connecticut wrapper which is a very rare treat as Not many people have it because there are so few growers. It is medio tiempo so you get a very rich dark color and A ton of flavor. Very oily!
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Great story, I will be on the lookout for his cigars
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Hope you're able to do the forum deal. I'm in for a fiver.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    This guy sounds amazing! I'm hoping you can get some of those samples, these sound delicious!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ooooh... similar wrapper to the Liga Pravada no 9
    mmmmm
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Thanks, can't make it to CFEST, but looking forward to the cigars. Keep us posted!
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    It sounds like the hole that Llaneza left in the industry due to his death is about to be filled by his right hand man / protege. Llaneza didn't get enough recognition in my opinion but if this guy was his right hand man, I'm in. I actually like his story better than the same old Cuban refugee story. It seems like the refugee story is some form of "instant street cred" but it takes more than nationality for me. That's like saying someone makes the best spaghetti because they are Italian. I'm looking forward to seeing this man flourish. Are his Padron connections going to help with the distribution / marketing aspects above and beyond Ccom?
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    this is kind of exciting. Ramon worked very closely with Esteli Padron and Frank Llaneza. His favourite tobaccos are Honduran viso, Nicaraguan ligeros and Dominican seco. One of his favourite wrapper is Ecudorian Sumatran leaf. I assume this will be a complex cigar.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Ramon was close to Llazeza and work with plantation of but work more closely with Esteli Padron about blending.. I do not believe Padron will be very helpful with marketing. It is true Frank Llaneza didn't get enough recognition. This is what happened when some work so closely with General cigar or Davidoff. Henke Kelner is the same way...too much control from Davidoff.
    dennisking:
    It sounds like the hole that Llaneza left in the industry due to his death is about to be filled by his right hand man / protege. Llaneza didn't get enough recognition in my opinion but if this guy was his right hand man, I'm in. I actually like his story better than the same old Cuban refugee story. It seems like the refugee story is some form of "instant street cred" but it takes more than nationality for me. That's like saying someone makes the best spaghetti because they are Italian. I'm looking forward to seeing this man flourish. Are his Padron connections going to help with the distribution / marketing aspects above and beyond Ccom?
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    this sounds very promising! if it works out, count me in for a fiver too
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    +1 on a fiver
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    This is very exciting, I'm definitely down for a 5-er and I can only hope it'll be a comparable experience to lighting up my first MoW...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Ken Light:
    This is very exciting, I'm definitely down for a 5-er and I can only hope it'll be a comparable experience to lighting up my first MoW...
    +1 sounds great!
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    I am going to talk to Ramon about trying to get some pre-release samples. The same ones he is handing out at the event next week. If I can convince him, I will do a special forum deal on a five pack so people who cannot attend the event can try them. I will keep you posted. To answer kuzi's question, this is not a typical cigar. It is definitely boutique in nature but the blending style is very unique and different from many things on the market. That is what drew me to him. The cigar is a solid medium or Medium to full. It has excellent balance and a rich flavor that is not in your face like so many of the other brands on the market today which focus only on power and not flavor. Because specific flavors are so subjective, I do not want to go to far into that but it really had all of the natural tones including earth, spice, wood, and nuts. This type of complexity was unique and highly enjoyable. He uses a habano connecticut wrapper which is a very rare treat as Not many people have it because there are so few growers. It is medio tiempo so you get a very rich dark color and A ton of flavor. Very oily!
    thanks Alex, hope you can do it, but even if it doesn't happen it's ok, this is why I am on this forum. I'll take one:-) :-) :-) :-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    This article got me really excited to see what he is all about. I'll be sure to stop by the booth and get me one ( a box by the sound it). You were dead on with AJ so I m a full believer....Thanks Alex for always having your eyes peeled for something great and sharing it with us!
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Alex Svenson:
    Alex, unfortunately, I'm not attending Cigar Fest, but if you manage to get this pre-release offering, I am definately interested in a purchase.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very excited about this blend & to try Ramon's cigar for myself.

Thanks for sharing the story and for the head's up on this. I won't be at cfest but will certainly be grabbing some of these. If you can swing a pre-release, count me in for a 5-er.
    If not I guess I'll have to wait until July.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Cool, man. Looking forward to this next week.
  • Options
    Coming up all the way from Dallas for the event, and can't wait to try Ramon's blend. Looking forward to it even more now!
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    PM sent
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Ken Light:
    y2pascoe:
    PM sent
    Replied.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I won't be able to go to Cigarfest this year either. Hoping to hear about this soon. Alex got me interested.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    thanks for the article Alex.

These sound right up my alley so I'm real anxious to get my hands on a few. If not these pre release samplers then I'll wait till July.

As always thanks for keeping us forum members in the loop.
  • Options
    It has been a while since I smoked them. I am going to get my hands on some on monday and will post a review with some tasting notes. Ramon has a teaser site going live soon that will have some pre order or possible presage samples too. Getting details. We will have some here for CCOM. He said if he has any leftover after cigar fest, I can buy them from him and put them up here. he is going to give me a deal since I explained it would be a great way to gain trail and get some buzz going so I will pass along those savings to you guys. That is all I know for now.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    It has been a while since I smoked them. I am going to get my hands on some on monday and will post a review with some tasting notes. Ramon has a teaser site going live soon that will have some pre order or possible presage samples too. Getting details. We will have some here for CCOM. He said if he has any leftover after cigar fest, I can buy them from him and put them up here. he is going to give me a deal since I explained it would be a great way to gain trail and get some buzz going so I will pass along those savings to you guys. That is all I know for now.

This is good news and thank you Alex for always looking out for us. I hope I'm lucky enough to get a fiver from here or a sampler. Either way I'm looking forward to it.