Home General Discussion
Options

Cut preference?

mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
Still being a newbie, I'm playing with different cuts....really just guillotine vs V-cut, but I was curious if it is totally up to preference or if there are some sticks that you should always cut one way or another. Also, Ive never tried a punch, and I saw a cutter that puts slices in to perferate the cap, don't know anything about those at all. Thanks for any info!

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the guillotine. A nice slice on the end cap. I have a xikar I really like.
    I tried the one that puts the slices. The cigar shop here had one. I guess it takes some getting used to, but I didn't care for it myself.
    I don't mind v-cuts.

I've gotten away from punches, mostly because they are often smaller than I care for and I end up using them to open a bit more than the punch will do in one cut.

It's definitely a preference thing. About all I can tell you is to try each one and see what works best for you.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience:
    I prefer the guillotine. A nice slice on the end cap. I have a xikar I really like.
    I tried the one that puts the slices. The cigar shop here had one. I guess it takes some getting used to, but I didn't care for it myself.
    I don't mind v-cuts.

I've gotten away from punches, mostly because they are often smaller than I care for and I end up using them to open a bit more than the punch will do in one cut.

It's definitely a preference thing. About all I can tell you is to try each one and see what works best for you.
    Thanks for the info 0patience. Yes, that is something that I will have to invest in, all I have is the cheapy guillotine cutter at the moment.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    As I have pointed out to The Robbyras, the V-cut makes it look exactly like a pen!s. Guillotine or punch for me, please.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Ken Light:
    As I have pointed out to The Robbyras, the V-cut makes it look exactly like a pen!s. Guillotine or punch for me, please.
    LOL! I've never used the V-cut and now I don't think I ever will!
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I've tried them all and it's going to boil down to a matter of personal preference. The viola you happen to be smoking at the time can also help dictate what will be the most effective cut, also. As of now, I'm using a Cuban Crafters Perfect Cut double guillotine. The back plate prevents you from cutting too far down on the cap and risking having your cigar come apart. Before that I was a punch guy. Used it for everything except smaller vitolas such as coronas and Lanceros. Try as many cutters and types of cuts as possible and let your instinct be the judge.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    Wow, have never thought of that either. Anyone need a V-cutter?
  • Options
    Thanks Toombes, thats what I figured. Ive seen those with the back plate, I'll look into them since theyre Newb-proof!
  • Options
    Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    After using toombes several times compared to my standard guilly cutter I also ordered the perfect cutter from Cuban Crafters and am anxiously waiting its arrival as a noob I think its pretty well IDIOT proof or in my case it has been. So take the plunge and enjoy perfect cuts...FYI just my 2 cents....
  • Options
    Thanks Medic!
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    Thanks Toombes, thats what I figured. Ive seen those with the back plate, I'll look into them since theyre Newb-proof!
    If yours doesn't have a back place, you can still pretty much noob-proof it by setting the cutter down on a table and cutting the cigar while it stands in it vertically, basically making the table your back plate. Kuzi gets the credit for telling me that trick, still use it 99% of the time.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    mmccartneydc:
    If yours doesn't have a back place, you can still pretty much noob-proof it by setting the cutter down on a table and cutting the cigar while it stands in it vertically, basically making the table your back plate. Kuzi gets the credit for telling me that trick, still use it 99% of the time.
    Nice! Thanks Ken and Kuzi!
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Ninedynine percent of the time im a punch guy (somewhere in GD is a thread about the one i "made") but for the rare occasion i smoke the smaller or larger guage sticks that it doesnt work well with i either pull out my pocket knife or my black ops double guillotine cutter with the backplate. I tend to use my knife on the the really small guage cigars because i cqnt seem to keep from taking too much off with the guillotine on them.

i have yet to try a v cutter but i think it would do well on some of the stranger shaped cigars like the sl ovals, and its on my eventual to do list to acquire one.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    i like the punch and v cut myself. I suck with the others.
  • Options
    Direwolf:
    i like the punch and v cut myself. I suck with the others.
    I used to like the v-cut until Ken gave me a visual I really didnt want!! Thanks there brother!
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I like guillotine cut and v cut on smaller ring gauge cigars
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    After getting my Xikar MTX Scissors, I just can't see myself using anything else. Used the V-Cut for a long time, but as they dulled they seemed to pinch my caps. The scissors for me has been a life altering experience....
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a preference, Guillotine is in the car, punch is at the house. they both work for me.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    big chunks:
    +1, and v-cut box-press and similar, and I'll do a "cross v-cut" on big ring gauge box pressed sticks
  • Options
    KingoftheCove:
    big chunks:
    +1, and v-cut box-press and similar, and I'll do a "cross v-cut" on big ring gauge box pressed sticks
    oooh, fancy! I'll have to try that!
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    I love the 'X' cut on anything larger than a 50 ga. On torpedoes for some reason I like the v cut more than any other type. Depending on the cigar I will use just about any type of cut, depends on how I feel.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    I don't really have a preference, but most often I use a double guillotine. I like a punch, but sometimes end up with a tar build-up in the punch hole.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I will definitely try the cross v cut.(Probably tonight!!!)
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    FYI - I do my cuts at 90 degrees - so it looks more like a "cross" - not an "X".......and......I typically do the cross-cut only if I'm not satisfied with the pre-lite draw of the v-cut.
    The only time I do it right off the bat is with 60 gauge box-pressed and similar.

• Options
    KingoftheCove:
    mmccartneydc:
    FYI - I do my cuts at 90 degrees - so it looks more like a "cross" - not an "X".......and......I typically do the cross-cut only if I'm not satisfied with the pre-lite draw of the v-cut.
    The only time I do it right off the bat is with 60 gauge box-pressed and similar.

Very good info, thank you King!!!
  • Options
    Recently I have been going for the v cut a lot more. The more I use it the more I seem to like it. At first I had a little issue getting the notch in the middle of the cigar but like the saying goes practice makes perfect and I've got it down now. From my experience the draw is good on 50 ring and smaller with a single cut. Haven't tried it on anything larger yet.
  • Options
    DSWarmack:
    I love the 'X' cut on anything larger than a 50 ga. On torpedoes for some reason I like the v cut more than any other type. Depending on the cigar I will use just about any type of cut, depends on how I feel.
    Don't know if its a newb thing or if it is my v-cutter(cheap-o) but when I try to v-cut a topedo, there is not enough draw. Oh, and I guess it could also be the quality of the stick...