Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Any audophiles in here?

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
I've been thinking of buying a record player, and starting to build a collection. I generally plan to buy off ebay (would love to get my hands on some stuff from the 50's, like Bing Crosby) - can anyone recommend a good record player to buy? Any place to get records for new songs (would like to build a nice library)?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Garrard automatic turntable and a Fisher amplifier with a built-in 8-track player... both from the 50's-60's. I was gonna put 'em on eBay but just never got around to it. The Kid and I talked about the amplifier and he told me it's not worth a lot. And I haven't tried to find out what the Garrard is worth.

If either of these interest you let me know. They both worked well when I put them in storage but I'm sure the drive belt(s) will need replacing, at the very least.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    A record player?? Man, that's an old term. I suspect what you mean is a turntable, that plays vinyl records. There are new ones on the market and they are excellent. The problem lies in what you put on them. I wouldn't buy a new turntable and put an album from the 70's on it. Newer vinyl releases are available, but you'll never be able to get all that you want. The audio quality can be very good. I remember back in the 70's we were able to pick up some "direct discs" that had been etched while recording. Good stuff there.
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    I have a Garrard automatic turntable and a Fisher amplifier with a built-in 8-track player... both from the 50's-60's. I was gonna put 'em on eBay but just never got around to it. The Kid and I talked about the amplifier and he told me it's not worth a lot. And I haven't tried to find out what the Garrard is worth.

If either of these interest you let me know. They both worked well when I put them in storage but I'm sure the drive belt(s) will need replacing, at the very least.
    Thanks, but gonna pass; I'm looking for a what beatnic was describing, a new turntable (never knew the name til not Stick out tongue [:P])
    beatnic:
    A record player?? Man, that's an old term. I suspect what you mean is a turntable, that plays vinyl records. There are new ones on the market and they are excellent. The problem lies in what you put on them. I wouldn't buy a new turntable and put an album from the 70's on it. Newer vinyl releases are available, but you'll never be able to get all that you want. The audio quality can be very good. I remember back in the 70's we were able to pick up some "direct discs" that had been etched while recording. Good stuff there.
    That's it, a turntable. I'd like something I can use to play old vinyls and whatnot (not sure if anyone releases anything on new vinyls anymore, though I imagine they'd be expensive as hell)
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    I dont know about your area but local to me there is a used bookstore that has hundreds if not thousands of old vinyls for sale starting at a quarter and up... i had a turntable at one point and spent like $10 on random old reccords there.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I have a Technics that has served well. I've been happy with it. I know its more of a DJ turntable but its built to last. Numark makes a great turntable as well.
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    Hello, I am your resident music addict. How may I help you? A turntable? Hmm.... well what is your budget?
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Technics sl1200's...good for 20 years
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    They sure do still release new albums on Vinyl. I have an old Pioneer turntable from the 70's hooked up to a fairly new Denon receiver.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    JSaint:
    They sure do still release new albums on Vinyl. I have an old Pioneer turntable from the 70's hooked up to a fairly new Denon receiver.
    Oh and I was able to pick this Pioneer from a local record store for 80 and its completely mint.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    I don't know anything about 50s vinyl, but as a dj it's a must to have Technics 1200s. Put it this way, I have been djing for over 13 years and I heavily use my turntables and they just last. They have never needed a tune up, other than I had to replace the Phono Output cables (this is because they get moved around a lot) which is very easy to do yourself.

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/technics_dj/prod_intro_sl1200mk2.asp
  • Options
    oldsoulrevival:
    Hello, I am your resident music addict. How may I help you? A turntable? Hmm.... well what is your budget?
    I was gonna say $100-$200, but then I saw catfishbluezz and djbeenie's posts. Hum, gonna have to think about this; it's worth the $500 if they last for 20 yrs, no doubt about it, but it's more than I planned :-/
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    oldsoulrevival:
    I was gonna say $100-$200, but then I saw catfishbluezz and djbeenie's posts. Hum, gonna have to think about this; it's worth the $500 if they last for 20 yrs, no doubt about it, but it's more than I planned :-/
    They last forever....and never break. Every professional DJ in teh world that beats the crap out of their TT night in adn night out for years on end without fail...uses Technics. I sold them for years....let's just say we never saw technics come back in the door, yet every other company was bound to fail miserably... Since Technics went out of business, some companies have stepped up their game, but you can easily grab a used 1200 in the $300-$500 range in good shape.
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    oldsoulrevival:
    I'll get back to you on this tomorrow. I have some recommendations, slightly above 200, but slightly below 500. It's best to buy quality with a table, but you dont have to break your bank to get great quality.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    xmacro:
    oldsoulrevival:
    They last forever....and never break. Every professional DJ in teh world that beats the crap out of their TT night in adn night out for years on end without fail...uses Technics. I sold them for years....let's just say we never saw technics come back in the door, yet every other company was bound to fail miserably... Since Technics went out of business, some companies have stepped up their game, but you can easily grab a used 1200 in the $300-$500 range in good shape.
    Gonna look into this, thanks
    oldsoulrevival:
    xmacro:
    oldsoulrevival:
    I'll get back to you on this tomorrow. I have some recommendations, slightly above 200, but slightly below 500. It's best to buy quality with a table, but you dont have to break your bank to get great quality.
    Much appreciated :)
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goldring is a really solid and great sounding turntable that is somewhat affordable, has worked great for me for over 6 years now and is brilliant sound honestly. The amplifier will also have a very large part to do with the quality of sound as well since it processes the signal and then sends it out. Personally I have had really good luck with Denon and Yamaha. I got lucky though and was able to pick up a Kenwood Sovereign unit that is like silk.... either way the amp is equally as important as the table since it is what interprets the signal and then processes it to the speakers. You really have to have a complete system to really take advantage of whatever high end products you want though. Any weak link will become more and more evident with more upgrades though. I'm certainly no expert on home systems but I know a good deal and will help in any way I can.

Anyone looking for info on car sound systems though, that's my bread and butter and what I do professionally so happy to help there as well.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    I have an old GE turntable that came with the house we bought. Not sure the worth, but I have 150 plus disc, and still looking for more...love the analog sound of these. Hooked a 12 inch sub up to it and it is sick. I've been lucky that my grandmother had a stash, and a friend's inlaws had some they didn't want, but you'd be suprised what you can find at old furniture shops, antique shops, flea markets, and second hand shops such as Roses, Peddlers Mall and such.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Always liked Marantz turntables,,I own an Onkyo.
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    aw jeez, a thread after my own heart.
    Looking at craigslist for new orleans, there are a few turntables (t/t's) out there. Dual makes great turntables, I have a Thorens td-160 mark1 I really love vinyl. Like REALLY love vinyl.
    I get a lot of vinyl from amazon, and best buy. I also get a lot of vinyl from old record shops.

If you are looking for audiophile grade t/t's I would look at something belt driven, IMO, they have less flutter and wow, than gear driven tables like technics. Technics are great tables, and they take a pounding and keep going, there is definitely something to be said for that.
    as for speakers I would look at craigslist on your area, and try to get some klipsch (my personal opinion) (I like horns)
    vinylengine is a great site, and for audio stuff forums.klipsch.com is a good site as well. There is a lot of info on the klipsch forums, and most of the people are fairly welcoming. If you are a fixer upper kindof guy I would definitely check this one out if it's still available.

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/ele/2933542838.html
    I love analog music. when you have your table/ system set up right the sound is just magical.

belay my last, I thought beatnic was looking for a turntable, let me know where you are in florida and I'll ask around
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    P.S. This is a hobby that can quickly become more expensive more than cigars...lol. But when the two mix, it's heaven. One thing to make sure of. Most new (modern) receivers do not have Pre amp inputs that you need for record players, and you will need to get a pre amp. The pre amp sends a voltage on the rca cables to get the needle working....just a side note. PM me if you have any questions.

Technics tables are very well made. For my listening preference I prefer a belt driven table, just my preference and I do not intend to offend anyone. I have a LOT of money in my setup, and it's just my preference.