Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Cooking: exchange recipes

rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

Besides cigar and other hobbies I also love cooking. I cook every weekend. I collect receipies and always try something new. Now a days fusion food is so popular and there are many new fusion dishes. I enjoy grilling a lot. I am thinking to order a Tandoori oven so I can make my nun, tandoori chicken and lamb. Wherever I live, I try to learn local cooking. So far I cook Southern food, Thai, Indian, Chinese, some Japanese, some Mexican, Tex-Mex, Turkish, Bolivian and some Central American dishes.

I know all of us have some family receipies. Would you mind to share some receipies? maybe we can all learn from each other. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive been working on a Hot and sour Sea Bass... if i can find what ive come up with so far, ill share it.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    sorry. this isn't a "i have this really great recipe" sorta thing. more of a question. are any of you guys good at BBQing? meaning, good ol charcoal weber grill BBQing. I want to learn how to make good beef brisket and tri tip. i always burn it or it turns out really dry. i eat it anyways bc i'm too cheap not to haha. any cooking tips would be awesome.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    sorry. this isn't a "i have this really great recipe" sorta thing. more of a question. are any of you guys good at BBQing? meaning, good ol charcoal weber grill BBQing. I want to learn how to make good beef brisket and tri tip. i always burn it or it turns out really dry. i eat it anyways bc i'm too cheap not to haha. any cooking tips would be awesome.
    Feel free to PM for details bro. I love the large weber and always use mesquite stacked on one side. For tritip, you need an extremely hot fire at first to seal the meat and torch the fat. I let the grill get real hot...and mesquite is much hotter that charcoal. First up....sear the skin side until it had significant grill marks...this seals the juices. Then flip it over and let the fat side burn...and I mean flame up out of control hot until it is black and scaring the crap out of you flaming... 5-10 mintues here. Then flip the steak and put it on the side with no coals an pour the marinade back on the fat....it will drip down into the meat and flavor that sucker up. Cap the grille with no air in the flute, this will bring temp down. Cook each side 10-15, thecrack the side open just a bit and repeat, that will have the smoke pouring over the meat if you do it right and flavor the skin. Last....let it sit 10 mintues before you cut and ALWAYS cut against te grain with this cut.

My family has been making marinades, rubs, and sauces for years too... But if you burn it, that don't matter at all. Smoking or slow cooking is much differen and I do not recommend that on a weber, specifically brisket. Lawry's makes good marinades if you want something easy too, and there are plenty of good dry rubs out there. Pappys is good for tri tip since it is so salty.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff, catfish. Thanks for sharing - I've never tried brisket or tri-tip on the grill but if I do I'll certainly be following your advice.
    For red meats I usually stick to burgers or steak (usually porterhouse or t-bone, sometimes sirloin strip). And other than that it's mostly salmon, chicken, pork or veggies.
    I like to think I know what I'm doing around a grill, but every now and then I'll forget to pay attention to the coals and either burn or undercook the mean and my fiance will then remind me why she usually cooks dinner LOL.

And I've been making my own rubs and marinades for the past few years but it sounds nothing like what your family's got going.
    So when are you having us all over for a BBQ at your house? ..... kidding

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv:
    Good stuff, catfish. Thanks for sharing - I've never tried brisket or tri-tip on the grill but if I do I'll certainly be following your advice.
    For red meats I usually stick to burgers or steak (usually porterhouse or t-bone, sometimes sirloin strip). And other than that it's mostly salmon, chicken, pork or veggies.
    I like to think I know what I'm doing around a grill, but every now and then I'll forget to pay attention to the coals and either burn or undercook the mean and my fiance will then remind me why she usually cooks dinner LOL.

And I've been making my own rubs and marinades for the past few years but it sounds nothing like what your family's got going.
    So when are you having us all over for a BBQ at your house? ..... kidding
    You have no idea.... I do this weekly, and mouth watering it is... Tuesday...1lb burgers and double fried hot wings. A good hot wing sauce that is easy is a bottle of crystal, 1/2 cup white vinegar, 1/2 stick butter, a small bit of heavy cream, and blue cheese crumbles melted to taste. Seriously though, the timing is everythign when you BBQ. You burn it, it's done... And in my opinion, I never use gas unless I have too...

Tri Tip is really big on the west coast and rarely found or perfected elsewhere, although in recent years it is catching on. Not sure where exactly the cut started, but the ranchers in Santa Maria lay a solid claim to it. They wet baste everything with white wine garlic butter...and it is fantastic. All cooked over oak
  • Options
    P.S. MY burger recipie remains secret, specifically in the manner of creating the patty and seasoning. What I will tell you is eggs make a difference, adn with any BBQ or cooking learning the balance of salt/pepper is a must.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    P.S. MY burger recipie remains secret, specifically in the manner of creating the patty and seasoning. What I will tell you is eggs make a difference, adn with any BBQ or cooking learning the balance of salt/pepper is a must.
    I know all about the eggs...
    We get local beef from my fiance's parents' butcher shop. - Fresh ground beef, egg, and 3 other ingredients are the staples of my burger recipe - then depending on what type of burger I'm going for (i.e. BBQ bacon, bleu cheese, mexican, etc) I'll add additional ingredients accordingly.

And yes, I'm slowly trying to learn how to perfectly balance S&P. Too much and it's ruined, too little and there's something missing, it's a fine line.

As far as wings go - we usually do those in the oven, I've never tried them on the grill since they're so easy to do in the oven - we usually do a light rub of spices before they go in then when they come out toss them in the sauce (mixture of butter, frank's red hot, vinegar and couple spices).
    Really, the only time I do chicken on the grill is when we cut up a whole chicken and grill the pieces. My fiance's parents raise about 200 chickens each year then have them cleaned and butchered so we always get the whole birds from them.

We've tried grilling the whole thing a couple times, once was beer-can chicken and the other was a lemon-herb recipe ... but it takes too long to do the whole bird. We just don't have enough time on weeknights to do it.
    And if I'm going to spend a long amount of time grilling, I'd prefer to just make it an all afternoon event and throw on some ribs.

• Options
    You can grill or fry the wings. When i grill them, the sauce is completely different then the one I jsut gave you. That sauce is more of the traditional wings you get at a restaurant that is fried. Batter is easy...flour, salt, pepper, and your favorite seasoning. Fry them...rebatter....fry them...then drop them in a bowl and cover them with that sauce. The key is keeping it from seperating, which may take a bit of white wine which I always have around for cooking sauces (cheap pinot grigio).
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    You can grill or fry the wings. When i grill them, the sauce is completely different then the one I jsut gave you. That sauce is more of the traditional wings you get at a restaurant that is fried. Batter is easy...flour, salt, pepper, and your favorite seasoning. Fry them...rebatter....fry them...then drop them in a bowl and cover them with that sauce. The key is keeping it from seperating, which may take a bit of white wine which I always have around for cooking sauces (cheap pinot grigio).
    We used to fry them, pan fry. Same batter recipe as you suggested but similar sauce as the one I stated in my last post, never used white wine for the sauce though.

But after baking them in the oven about 6 months ago, that's all I've done since and I don't think I'll ever go back to frying them at home. Don't get me wrong, when we've pan fried them they're delicious but the oven just gives them a different texture and taste - they come out light, crispy and flavorful from the light dry rub. Then I'll hit them with the traditional buffalo sauce - delicious.
    That's why I want to try them grilled, gonna use about the same recipe as I do for the oven and I want to see if there's a noticeable flavor difference that the grill adds.

• Options
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:
    We used to fry them, pan fry. Same batter recipe as you suggested but similar sauce as the one I stated in my last post, never used white wine for the sauce though.

But after baking them in the oven about 6 months ago, that's all I've done since and I don't think I'll ever go back to frying them at home. Don't get me wrong, when we've pan fried them they're delicious but the oven just gives them a different texture and taste - they come out light, crispy and flavorful from the light dry rub. Then I'll hit them with the traditional buffalo sauce - delicious.
    That's why I want to try them grilled, gonna use about the same recipe as I do for the oven and I want to see if there's a noticeable flavor difference that the grill adds.
    Oh...it's a huge difference. Assuming you like your sauce, marinade them in it. If you have a grill that you can have coals on one side, the other none (or gas off), brown them first, then pile them up and keep dripping the sauce over them, along with citrus (orange IMO) adn let the smoke pour flavor all over that skin.... AMAZING!

White wine is like a band aid for sauces that seperate. If a sauce seperates, hit it with white wine and it will come back together. It is necessary for saute and saucier's.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Oh...it's a huge difference. Assuming you like your sauce, marinade them in it. If you have a grill that you can have coals on one side, the other none (or gas off), brown them first, then pile them up and keep dripping the sauce over them, along with citrus (orange IMO) adn let the smoke pour flavor all over that skin.... AMAZING!

White wine is like a band aid for sauces that seperate. If a sauce seperates, hit it with white wine and it will come back together. It is necessary for saute and saucier's.
    Sweet - as soon as it warms up again I'll have to fire the grill back up and try the wings on it. I might tweak my sauce a bit and do a lime instead of an orange - and that's a good idea...I've never thought about adding citrus before, it makes sense though.

And no gas anywhere near my grill (not even lighter fluid) other than the lighter I use to start the charcoal chimney with. My fiance was trying to get me to buy a new gas grill and I LOL'ed in her face (seriously).....
    I got the grill below and always use my kingsford original charcoal briquettes. I want to try lump charcoal sometime too, a local market has it but I've not been by to pick it up yet. I hear that it's a lot better than the briquettes, might try the lump coal along with woodchips next time I do ribs....

grills

• Options
    Yeah baby! Lump mesquite is the way to go bro...but it burns extremely hot so you msut be careful. If you can get your hands on oak...it's my favorite. Also, when using anythign spicy....honey is the great neutralizer that is natural and never overpowering...you can hide it well ;) And it carmelizes...
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    jliu:
    Feel free to PM for details bro. I love the large weber and always use mesquite stacked on one side. For tritip, you need an extremely hot fire at first to seal the meat and torch the fat. I let the grill get real hot...and mesquite is much hotter that charcoal. First up....sear the skin side until it had significant grill marks...this seals the juices. Then flip it over and let the fat side burn...and I mean flame up out of control hot until it is black and scaring the crap out of you flaming... 5-10 mintues here. Then flip the steak and put it on the side with no coals an pour the marinade back on the fat....it will drip down into the meat and flavor that sucker up. Cap the grille with no air in the flute, this will bring temp down. Cook each side 10-15, thecrack the side open just a bit and repeat, that will have the smoke pouring over the meat if you do it right and flavor the skin. Last....let it sit 10 mintues before you cut and ALWAYS cut against te grain with this cut.

My family has been making marinades, rubs, and sauces for years too... But if you burn it, that don't matter at all. Smoking or slow cooking is much differen and I do not recommend that on a weber, specifically brisket. Lawry's makes good marinades if you want something easy too, and there are plenty of good dry rubs out there. Pappys is good for tri tip since it is so salty.
    You nailed it catfish,,, I like usin pappy's too
  • Options
    Pappy's is excellent on larger cuts because you really need the skin to shine with very little penetration to the palate so the saltiness works in your favor. It bodes well with large pork cuts, pit chicken, turkey, etc.. There are plenty of fine rubs out there, Pappy's is just one. If anyone likes smoke flavors, let me know. I order smoked seasoning by the lb from Tom's smoked seasonings....it's ridiculous.... If you want to try, let me know...I am ordering more soon.

http://www.tomspeppers.com/
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Pappy's is excellent on larger cuts because you really need the skin to shine with very little penetration to the palate so the saltiness works in your favor. It bodes well with large pork cuts, pit chicken, turkey, etc.. There are plenty of fine rubs out there, Pappy's is just one. If anyone likes smoke flavors, let me know. I order smoked seasoning by the lb from Tom's smoked seasonings....it's ridiculous.... If you want to try, let me know...I am ordering more soon.

Hell yeah,, wonder what flavs,,Love mesquite, alder hickory, apple, Ill check it out
  • Options
    The Kid:
    catfishbluezz:

Hell yeah,, wonder what flavs,,Love mesquite, alder hickory, apple, Ill check it out
    SICK dude...unreal..... The chipotle is a staple, along with the smoked salt and pepper. The extra spicy Chipotle is killer too, but can be a bit overwhelming if overused. I stock his stuff all the time....
  • Options
    man. just being away for like two hours and all this BBQ talk w/o me! ok, catfish - i'm going to go hunt down some mesquite or oak wood this weekend. also going to swing by costco and get me some tri tip. i'll give it a shot. btw, where do you find pappy sauce?
  • Options
    jliu:
    man. just being away for like two hours and all this BBQ talk w/o me! ok, catfish - i'm going to go hunt down some mesquite or oak wood this weekend. also going to swing by costco and get me some tri tip. i'll give it a shot. btw, where do you find pappy sauce?
    Pappy's is a seasoning bro. Costco should have mesquite too, Oak is much harder to find. If yuo want a good cheap marinade, Lawry's mesquite lime is good, as are their others. That's what I buy if I am in a hurry and do not have time to marinade over night.

Be very careful with the mesquite...it is HOT! Your arm hair will be gone bro....
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    jliu:
    Pappy's is a seasoning bro. Costco should have mesquite too, Oak is much harder to find. If yuo want a good cheap marinade, Lawry's mesquite lime is good, as are their others. That's what I buy if I am in a hurry and do not have time to marinade over night.

Be very careful with the mesquite...it is HOT! Your arm hair will be gone bro....
    haha oh. my bad. didn't read that closely enough. pappy seasoning got it. oh arm hair? don't really have much. i'm one of those asians that has minimial body hair. scoooreeee. i think...
  • Options
    jliu:
    catfishbluezz:
    jliu:

haha oh. my bad. didn't read that closely enough. pappy seasoning got it. oh arm hair? don't really have much. i'm one of those asians that has minimial body hair. scoooreeee. i think...
    LMAO...nice! also....make sure to rest it 10 mintues and cust AGAINST the grain...I cannot stress that enough
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Haha. Love how this went from sharing recipes to Dustin's bbq rant. Me?, I'm all for the bbq rant. Speaking of which...seeing as I've got nothing but time on my hands, I ought to smoke something this weekend. That tri-tip on the weber sounds awesome, but a tri-tip in the smoker is a real treat.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Quick, easy, cheap, and tasty -
    Take a couple of pounds of tenderized flank Steak.
    Marinate for a few hours with a full bottle of WishBone Italian dressing and half of that bottle of soy sauce.
    Grill until done.
    Slice cross-ways and serve with rice.
    If there's any left, refrigerate it and eat it cold with tortillas and pepper jack cheese the next day.
  • Options
    Steve2010:
    Quick, easy, cheap, and tasty -
    Take a couple of pounds of tenderized flank Steak.
    Marinate for a few hours with a full bottle of WishBone Italian dressing and half of that bottle of soy sauce.
    Grill until done.
    Slice cross-ways and serve with rice.
    If there's any left, refrigerate it and eat it cold with tortillas and pepper jack cheese the next day.
    +1 .... it's been a little while since I've done the Italian dressing marinade - but this used to be my go to recipe too for grilling tougher cuts of meat.

You ever try it with other meats? I used it on chicken breasts a couple times but didn't think it was as good as the steaks were....

But this is definitely a good way to turn a not-too-great cut of meat into tender deliciousness.
    Also, if you want to get away from the grill - cut the flank steaks into strips and pan sear them for fajitas. If anybody's interested in this let me know, I'll find recipe and send it to you.

• Options
    j0z3r:
    Haha. Love how this went from sharing recipes to Dustin's bbq rant. Me?, I'm all for the bbq rant. Speaking of which...seeing as I've got nothing but time on my hands, I ought to smoke something this weekend. That tri-tip on the weber sounds awesome, but a tri-tip in the smoker is a real treat.
    Two completely different animals. I sold my side by side when I moved into a condo....wished I'd never had done that. I smoked Tri Tip with it many times with oak as the primary. If you want to get real crazy....next time you head to a winery, act like the only redneck in the room and make friends with the guys in the back, aka the real drunks.... Ask if they have any old planks they use to age the cheap stuff...which is typically oak strips placed in the barrell to age the cheaper wines faster. I've grabbed it on several occasions from stockpiles...and let me tell you smoking a tri tip with that....unreal.... Personally, i prefer it bloody so the smoker would normally see chicken or pork...then again, digging a 6ft pit and covering it overnight is a real redneck treat too ;)
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I love my smoker. from turkey breasts to bacon wrapped meatloafs. If I can put it on the smoker I'm a happy guy.
  • Options
    Direwolf:
    I love my smoker. from turkey breasts to bacon wrapped meatloafs. If I can put it on the smoker I'm a happy guy.
    Yeah....I miss the missions of smoking all day... I am more intersted in smoking seasoning as of late.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    i love using a good smoked sea salt in my rubs.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Add some coca-cola and bourbon or american whiskey to your bbq sauce next time you marinate your steak. The acid in the coke breaks down all the tissue and fat and the sugars add sweetness and caramel like flavors.
  • Options
    Since this is a recipie thread....I'll post an easy recipie that can be used on fish, chicken, steaks, vegetables, pasta, etc...

Gorgonzola cream sauce
    Ingredients: half a stick butter, 5-6 garlic cloves, qt of heavy cream, two packs of gorgonzola, fresh basil, garlic powder, salt, white pepper, white wine.

Heat up the butter and garlic and let it lightly brown
    Add cream and whisk on high until bubbling-be careful not to burn and whisk often
    Add the gorgonzola and whisk constantly until it melts and the sauce thickens
    Add white wine to thin the sauce out to taste
    Add spices to taste
    and fresh julienne cut basil...roll teh leaves up like a joint, then cut...works like a charm
    Honestly...this works well over anything and is basically a french style cream sauce. It pairs excellently with white wine and honestly you can use it over many different things and many different applications. I learned it for salmon originally, but found it delightful on filet's, veggies, and pasta too. To reheat it, jsut put it back in a pan and add a little white wine to bring it back together.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys everything on here sounds amazing and you know what some of the best things about BBQ's are the sides ...... I'm sure I have a great one that's simple and can be doctored as I've done and to your likening . It's called corn casserole and is pretty simple.

1 can of whole kernel corn drained
    1 can creamed corn
    1 box corn muffin mix
    2 eggs
    1 stick of butter melted for easy mixing
    8oz sour cream
    mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl, preheat oven at 350 and grease a casserole pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes til top is a light golden brown and use a toothpick cake test. Enjoy. Now what I've done since we all know that everything is better with bacon and jalape