Home Ratings & Reviews

5 Vegas High Primings Robusto

I just picked up some of these from my rep because I'm a big fan of the habano wrapper and wanted to check it out on the new 5 Vegas High Primings. I smoked it ROTT and had a pretty good experience. Construction is nice, wrapper is nice, feels good in the hand, no soft spots. I can't ever taste any coffee, chocolate, caramel, or flavors like that from cigars so I can't comment on flavors like that. It definitely tastes like a habano wrapper - that's a taste I can identify. Kind of reminded me of a NUB habano. Very rich taste. First third was nice, middle third was a little harsh, last third settled down and was nice. Nice burn line, nice draw, nice solid ash that I tapped off every inch or so. I think some age would mellow out the harshness in the middle third but it's very enjoyable to smoke now. It's a very respectable budget-friendly cigar.

Comments

• allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    How would you compare it to the 5 Vegas Classic based on the fact that the only change is the wrapper? I have some Double Coronas of the HP inbound next week, I think this would be a good opportunity to see how the wrapper can change a blend...
  • The classic tastes noticeably like its sumatra wrapper to me. Has that sort of pleasant sourness from the sumatra wrapper that I like in the LHC original. Also don't get as much in-your-face tobacco flavor from the original as I did from the HP. The HP has more zing to it in a pleasant way. I smoked far more of the 5V gold robusto than than classic, though. Haven't had a classic in a while. I kept thinking the HP tasted like the NUB habano - same zing, same big tobacco flavor.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    allsmokedup:
    How would you compare it to the 5 Vegas Classic based on the fact that the only change is the wrapper? I have some Double Coronas of the HP inbound next week, I think this would be a good opportunity to see how the wrapper can change a blend...
    If you check out the description, the whole blend is changed. The fillers (and maybe binder too) are the same blend but one priming higher, and the wrapper, as you mentioned, is different.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Ah, good point about the primings. I fail at reading comprehension. I would guess all seco fillers then.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Interested to try a 5'er of these soon. See how many people rant like the idiot at the sis about the cuban blend comment in the mag.
  • AugustWestAugustWest Posts: 62
    I'd like to amend my "review" a bit. I've smoked through almost the rest of the 10-pack I got and I found that if you draw too hard on these they are harsh. I must have been smoking them too fast. I took my time and have been smoking them while reading or listening to music and the taste is much less intense. These are going to have a regular spot in my rotation.
  • AugustWest:
    I'd like to amend my "review" a bit. I've smoked through almost the rest of the 10-pack I got and I found that if you draw too hard on these they are harsh. I must have been smoking them too fast. I took my time and have been smoking them while reading or listening to music and the taste is much less intense. These are going to have a regular spot in my rotation.
    i have found that to be true with all 5V that if you smoke to fast or puff to big you get a very harsh grassy taste and hay aroma. Being the huge 5v fan I am i would love to try these HP's may have to order a 5'er soon
  • LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    How are we feeling about these?
    I had one at Cigarfest and really liked it, but can't remember any specifics; I smoked too much that weekend to keep track. I'm looking at the 10 pack deal I just got an email about.

Have You Met High Primings? Only $2.99 Today