Home General Discussion
Options

Alternative Identification

My brother, who recently turned 18, wants to buy some cigars from a local shop. However, he has no state-issued photo ID. He does, however, have a fishing license (non photo ID) and his high school ID (photo, but not state issued). Can he buy cigars legally from a shop with those things, or will he have to get his driver's license (which, I know, he should have anyway)?

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Here in Oregon you need an ID issued by a state, or a drivers license. Or a Military ID.
  • Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    It'll probably depend on the mood of the guy behind the counter.
  • Options
    dan7876dan7876 Posts: 47
    First it would depend on how young he looks...also, it would depend on if it's more of a "cigar shop" than, say, a gas station that mainly sells cigarettes, but has a small humi behind the counter. I've never been carded in a cigar shop...never even seen someone being carded in a cigar shop. Odds are good that they'll be cool.
  • Options
    MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    phobicsquirrel:
    Here in Oregon you need an ID issued by a state, or a drivers license. Or a Military ID.

A fishing license is State Issued.

I guess I'm gonna tell him to give it a go. Worst case scenario, he won't be able to buy smokes.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Yea, it all depends on the guy working at the time. Technically they are supposed to see a state issued photo ID, but in a nice cigar shop he might be alright. My advice would be for him to go get a state issued ID. Don't have to have a DL, just get an ID card.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    MAJORdorMo:
    phobicsquirrel:

A fishing license is State Issued.

I guess I'm gonna tell him to give it a go. Worst case scenario, he won't be able to buy smokes.
    well right, but it's not considered a ID card though. I should try that, go buy liquor and use my fishing license... lol
  • Options
    Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Does he have a beard?
  • Options
    MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    Dude Love:
    Does he have a beard?

Why yes he does.
  • Options
    Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Then you're all set. Any self respecting establishment knows that a nicely grown beard doubles for I.D. Worked for me since I was 16 :).
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Dude Love:
    Does he have a beard?
    Or at least some lamb chop mullet furry sideburns or something... :P
  • Options
    rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    In Indiana, you can get a state issued ID that is not a driver's license. Only costs a couple of bucks to get. Giving that a try might be a way to go if getting a driver's license is out of the question for whatever reason.