Home Cigar 101

Humi-Care Crystal Gel VS Heartfelt Beads

niz33niz33 Posts: 83
So I'm building a coolerdor from a wine cooler, and I was thinking what would be better to add to my Humi-care Electronic Humidifier Cartridge. I ran into mold problems 2 weeks back so I dug out all the green sponge inside the cartridge. Now I'm ready to replace it but I don't know with what. Can any one give me advise on this two products. Just in case anyone is wondering I already have both products and the heartfelt beads are the 65%.

Comments

• kent1146kent1146 Posts: 86
    They both do about the same thing... regulate humidity to around 65% to 70% (depending on which kind you buy).

The guys at my local B&M store (Holts, in downtown Philadelphia) swear by the idea that you keep the green sponge, and combine it with a beads / gel product.  Use a 50/50 mix of distilled water and propylene glycol in the foam.  Also, stick a jar or two of beads / gel in the humidor.  The purpose of the green foam is to provide the humidity, while the purpose of the gel is to regulate humidity.
  • niz33niz33 Posts: 83
    kent1146:
    They both do about the same thing... regulate humidity to around 65% to 70% (depending on which kind you buy).

The guys at my local B&M store (Holts, in downtown Philadelphia) swear by the idea that you keep the green sponge, and combine it with a beads / gel product.  Use a 50/50 mix of distilled water and propylene glycol in the foam.  Also, stick a jar or two of beads / gel in the humidor.  The purpose of the green foam is to provide the humidity, while the purpose of the gel is to regulate humidity.
    Any ideas on how the Beads will work inside my electric humidifier?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    how big is the cooler? if you could fir 300+ cigars int here you may want to go with a Cigar Oasis and beads.

you would put the CO in there on the bottom and set it for 65 or 70 (depending on what beads you got) and on the top you would put in about 1/2 -1 lb of beads on the top. the beads would soak up any "extra" humidity (something the CO cannot do). in theory this would give you a very stable RH.

if you are under 300ct the beads alone will be enough. just get about twice what you think you are gunna need.

and by "electric humidifier " do you mean wine cooler with the electric part being the part the regulates temp only? in there they should be fine. If you dump beads into the container of a CO....
    thats a different question/ballgame.