Home General Discussion
Options

Constructing a Walk in Humidor

I am thinking about putting together a walk in humidor in a spare bedroom. One question, do I NEED to line the entire room with Spanish cedar. Could I just use spanish cedar trays and that is it?

Comments

• Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    The only advice I have would be to hire me to sit in the humi and be the guard of your smokes and monitor your humidity levels. The only way for me to properly ensure your smokes are at their peak quality is for me to smoke several a day but I'm up for the job and I know I can keep your humidor in top notch shape! hehe
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    line the whole room with Spanish Cedar? No, I'm no expert, but I doubt that is necessary. I would be more worried about temp, mainly because bedrooms usually have at least one exterior wall. Another thing is sealing the room off to the best of your ability. Lastly, the issue that I would be most concerned about is lingering odor or fungi. Seems like that could have to most detrimental effect on one's smokes.

I can't say I haven't thought of doing something like this, and these were the worries/concerns I had when I thought about it. I could be over (or under) thinking this, but take it for what it is...my opinion.
  • Options
    The room is in the basement. The normal temp and humidity with no other help in the room is 67 degrees and 54% RH. The basement is hardly ever used. I figure I could put a humidifier in it and some shelving and place the cigars in the trays.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Sounds ideal
  • Options
    tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    make sure you post pictures
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Capt would be the best to ask this, I haven't seen him on in a long time though.
  • Options
    I am researching shelving. I do not want anything that is attached to the walls. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    What about some wire rack shelves and then lining them with planks of Spanish cedar planks or just setting boxes on them.

something like these wire rack shelves

Another option would just bee to build some wooden shelves yourself.
  • Options
    niz33niz33 Posts: 83
    tankbonnies:
    make sure you post pictures
    I 2nd this, please post pictures!!!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Capt would be the best to ask this, I haven't seen him on in a long time though.
    he even built one.

even though the room is in the basement, make sure that the humidor would not be on an exterior wall.

you wont need to line the entire thing with spanish cedar, but use a plastic vapor barrier between your interior walls and the humidor lining material. you may also want to consider insulation.
    if you are using drywall instead of spanish cedar for the interior walls, make sure to use the mold resistant kind. make sure you have some cedar. i would recommend the shelves as cedar. before you put the shelves in though make sure the wood is seasoned. it will expand when it is at proper RH. oh! weather safe nails and screws as well. you dont want those puppies to rust on ya.
  • Options
    Thanks TB but that is more of a smoking room. I was thinking more walk in humidor. I have been looking at humidifiers. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    LuvMycigar.blogspot.com:
    Thanks TB but that is more of a smoking room. I was thinking more walk in humidor. I have been looking at humidifiers. Any suggestions?
    google "industrial humidity control"
    I did.
    seemed to work well.

OR go to your local B&M and ask them about their humidity control.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I would be wary of putting drywall in a walk-in humidor. Drywall off-gasses some unhealthy chemicals, like formaldehyde. I wouldn't want that stuff getting infused into the cigars. Since it's in the basement I would also be wary of using PT as the floor sleepers or wall studs, for the same off gassing reasons (even though the arsenic in PT has been reduced it's still far from healthy). I would use cedar as the framing and line the whole room with wood, no drywall or PT at all.
  • Options
    MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    Not to hijack this thread, but is there a cedar:cigar ratio for humidors, or does it not really matter?
  • Options
    The room is already contructed. It's drywall and I was not going to change it.
  • Options
    Hal72Hal72 Posts: 7

I would have used veneer sheet. You get them cheaper and use it on almost the whole humdior. How big do you plan it?. I would have build it as a room inside a room. (like a sauna) Then you are sure the humidity does not ruin you house and you can control the temprature.

here is also a good link:

http://tobacconistu.blogspot.com/2007/11/building-walk-in-humidor.html

• Options
    MAJORdorMo:
    Not to hijack this thread, but is there a cedar:cigar ratio for humidors, or does it not really matter?
    no.
    but for the purpose of this thread...
    as long as the shelves are cedar, you should be fine.
  • Options
    LuvMycigar.blogspot.com:
    The room is already contructed. It's drywall and I was not going to change it.
    im not here to tell you what to do.
    you did, however, ask how to build a walk in humidor. this was my advice:
    kuzi16:
    even though the room is in the basement, make sure that the humidor would not be on an exterior wall.

you wont need to line the entire thing with spanish cedar, but use a plastic vapor barrier between your interior walls and the humidor lining material. you may also want to consider insulation.
    if you are using drywall instead of spanish cedar for the interior walls, make sure to use the mold resistant kind. make sure you have some cedar. i would recommend the shelves as cedar. before you put the shelves in though make sure the wood is seasoned. it will expand when it is at proper RH. oh! weather safe nails and screws as well. you dont want those puppies to rust on ya.
    If the room is already built why were you asking how to build one? and there are several things in my advice that you cannot do if the room is already built.

you can go ahead with your plans if you would like, but you and your cigars may not like the outcome if you do not heed some of this advice.

im still rootin for ya.