Home General Discussion
Options

My first C.Com purchase

Hey all, I made my first c.com purchase, today I purchased the email advertised Gurkah Park Avenues, and I made sure I connected with the check out bonus, can't remember what it is at this time. Anywhoo, I can't wait to get these. Just had to share this pleasant experience with you guys!

Comments

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Yeah man. You are now part of the club. I need to get out of the club. I am going broke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    JFJF Posts: 54
    rwheelwright:
    Yeah man. You are now part of the club. I need to get out of the club. I am going broke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol, I'm in the same boat as you, man. However, I've found that if you have just one stick a week, it's a completely affordable hobby. You end up smoking better-quality cigars that way, too.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    My problem is that I don't smoke one a week and when I buy I usually spend around $400 - $500 at a time. Like this month, I spent almost $600 in two days.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Nice wheelie.. You cant smoke them fast enough.. I usually keep it under a hundred a month. That seems to work for me.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Interesting...I'm at about 3 a week, maybe 4, especially in the summer. Other than COTM, I don't spend much monthly. I bought a bunch awhile ago and have been smoking that down.
  • Options
    aaronjmaaronjm Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Robert, congrats. I still remember my first Ccom purchase last year. Same as has already been said, "Welcome." I love this place. Classy site, knowledgeable staff, humidified shipping and some of the best customer service of any company I've ever done business with. And JF, I'm with you. I'm at about one every week and a half. My concerns are more for health. I'd like to keep this hobby for life and feel like making it any more than one a week would put me "at risk" more than I'd like to be. Especially since I come from a family of addicts. What do y'all think about that?
  • Options
    JFJF Posts: 54
    aaronjm:
    And JF, I'm with you. I'm at about one every week and a half. My concerns are more for health. I'd like to keep this hobby for life and feel like making it any more than one a week would put me "at risk" more than I'd like to be. Especially since I come from a family of addicts. What do y'all think about that?

Interesting you should mention that. The NIH (National Institutes of Health) data is spotty and incomplete (doesn't keep them from making sweeping conclusions, however). The largest problem with their data set is that the lowest use category is 1-2 cigars per day (as a single category). They have categories up to 5+/day. How 1-2 cigars a day are defined is never discussed - 2 coronas? 2 Churchills? Obviously some noise is added to the data due to their failure to take into account the literal amount of tobacco consumed.

There DOES seem to be a consensus that lung cancer rates are almost nil in cigar smokers (until you get into the 5+ range, but hey, at that point, you obviously just don't give a s*!t anymore). They use the term "relative risk" (a multiplier of non-smoker risk) which you don't see in any serious descriptions of data anywhere else - in order to really understand research results, you need not just the average, but also the standard deviation (the average distance of a data-point from the mean).

At the 1-2 cigar/day level, the only strikingly high "relative risk" is for Larynx cancer, at about 6, or 6 times the nonsmoker rate, which is 0.37% over the course of one's lifetime - so this group has a lifetime risk of 6 x 0.37% = 2.22%. In other words, roughly 1 in 50 cigar smokers who consume 1-2 cigars a day will eventually end up with an electronic voicebox. As for once a week? There's no data for levels that low - the NIH states a tacit assumption that once-a-week cigar smokers will eventually creep up to multiple-a-day consumption because nicotine is nicotine, dang it, and they're simply addicts in denial like everyone else *rolls eyes*. It would be safe to say that risk levels for once-a-week smokers is lower, much lower - but still higher than nonsmokers. The rate-growth for oral and lip cancers is much milder.

Now, any greater risk of cancer is bad, and you don't want to be that guy represented by the difference between 0.37% and, say, 0.5%. But to me, at least, that's a reasonable risk to take. I'm sure, personally, my obscene addiction to caffeine will kill me long before a stick a week. I'd also like to point out that the lifetime risk of prostate cancer for any man is nearly 10%, to put things into perspective.
  • Options
    JF, I really appreciate you taking the time to type all that out. With all this in mind, I believe I'd like to give more business to Ccom by becoming a once-a-weeker. I can live with .5% too. I did my own research and talked to my doctor before I started smoking and found very similar stuff. Just not the numbers to put it in real perspective. So thanks again. However, I'll still be careful not to make the same mistakes that my father and grandfathers made by developing dependence on it, as I encourage everyone else to keep that in mind. I know these posts strayed from the title, but I really think this info should make its way to its own thread. This is important stuff to know.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i wish that i could find the link again but i read a study where they studied 4 groups of people:
    1) non smokers
    2) pipe smokers
    3)Cigarette smokers
    4) Cigar smokers

the study was of life span. from shortest to longest life span:
    1) cigarette smokers
    2) Non smokers
    3) cigar smokers
    4) pipe smokers

there was only speculation on why this was true. the leading theory is that cigars and pipes force you to sit down and relax for a bit. this relaxation is fairly uncommon in non smokers. relaxation is good for the mind and the body.

but i guess this is all useless because i cant find the link....
  • Options
    robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219
    I am in total agreement with you, I smoke 3-4 a week sometimes 4-5 depending on my desire to smoke. I support the numbers, I don't believe all who smoke will get some sort of cancer, hell, my grandfather smoked 5 packs a day since he was 15 and he died at 86 from a ruptured gall bladder. I believe a person is or is not susceptible to cancer, those who get it blame it on the smoking industry when all along they already had the potenntial dangerous cells lying dormant in their body only to be awakened by different factors of their daily lives. People in denial have to blame somthing and smoking is usually the first to be blamed, second is second hand smoke. After all you don't see alzheimer support groups going after the deodorant industry for using aluminum in deodorants. I'm not saying you can't get lung cancer or anyother cancer from smoking, I just believe some people are more susceptable to getting it while some are not. End of rant. lol!
  • Options
    JF, would you mind posting links to the research you've found?