Home Cigar 101
Options

new humidor+boveda 84% packs question

lukemcklukemck Posts: 45
So I have a digital hygro that I believe is properly calibrated, I used the 75% boveda calibration kit and got it to stick at 75 for a while, I also have a cigar jar with one 72% pack in it and the hygro consistently reads 70%(I've heard they run 2% below the boveda #).. Anyways, I recently got the 50ct white tail glass top humi as part of a sampler on another site.  I got two of the 84% boveda packs that you're supposed to leave in there for 10-14 days, last night was 12 days, I took my digital hygro and threw it in there real quick just to see how it was doing.. This morning it's reading 73%, the analog hygro on the front reads 80%(not that I trust that)..

Is something wrong? Should I just go ahead and switch out the 84%'s for two 72's and see how it reads? 

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, if it were me I would switch the 84%s for the 72%s.
    The humidor should be seasoned now - 12 days is plenty of time IMO. It's been my experience that 3-4 days is plenty of time to season a humidor.

I'd also recalibrate the digital hygro just to be on the safe side. If you're 75% calibration kit is more than 3 months old too, I would not rely on it and either get another one or use the salt test.
    And I could be wrong on this...but I think that some of the digital hygrometers only detect a certain range of RH....as in if the humidity is too high it might throw the reading way off.

If that doesn't work (and if you haven't done so already) I'd suggest trying to search the forums with terms like "Hygrometer" "humidity issues", etc. I'm sure someone else has had a similar problem and would imagine there's other answers for this as well.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    lukemcklukemck Posts: 45
    Got it all switched over now

It's alright to put both of my boveda packs on one side right?  It's much more aesthetically pleasing that way
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Hang around here and you're going to need a larger...much larger humi. Just sayin'.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lukemck:
    It's alright to put both of my boveda packs on one side right?
    Yep - in a small humi like that it'll be fine. If you had a giant cabinet humi, that's when you'd want to spread out the humidification.
    Also, looks like your analog hygro is sticking out a bit...maybe?....If so try to push it in as far as you can, it should sit flush against the wood to keep the humi "air tight."

Hope this all helps to resolve your humidity problem.
    Steve2010:
    Hang around here and you're going to need a larger...much larger humi. Just sayin'.
    +1

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    lukemck:
    Got it all switched over now

It's alright to put both of my boveda packs on one side right?  It's much more aesthetically pleasing that way
    Great humidor . . . I use this exact one in addition to my larger (125 ct) one.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    lukemck:
    It's alright to put both of my boveda packs on one side right?
    Yep - in a small humi like that it'll be fine. If you had a giant cabinet humi, that's when you'd want to spread out the humidification.
    Also, looks like your analog hygro is sticking out a bit...maybe?....If so try to push it in as far as you can, it should sit flush against the wood to keep the humi "air tight."

Hope this all helps to resolve your humidity problem.
    Steve2010:
    +1
    Good eye on the hydro. I'd definately push that baby in.