Home Cigar 101
Options

Noob Suggestion List

marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
Having been on this forum for the last few days, I had a thought hit me. And I apologize in advance if it has been done before, I just hadn't seen it. We should have a suggestion list started for people new to the cigar world that would allow them to find their likes and dislikes easier. I have already learned a ton just from lurking around the forums, but it seems apparent, that many people (including myself) make the mistake of going for not so good cigars according to price. I know that everyone has their own idea of a good cigar, but to offer suggestions to new people that would allow them to find their niche a little easier would be great. I think a list of suggestions that would allow for a quicker exploration would keep new people around cigars longer and help add to what I consider a great brotherhood.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i would actually just say go through the review section of this forum. there are all kinds of cigars there. just remember when shopping that you should buy things you like not according to price but according to your likes. smoke less but enjoy what you smoke. cigars dont go bad if kept correctly. save up and buy a bunch at a time. i almost never buy less than $200 worth at a go but i spread that out over time to save up so i dont find myself short on cash should life happen
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i would actually just say go through the review section of this forum. there are all kinds of cigars there. just remember when shopping that you should buy things you like not according to price but according to your likes. smoke less but enjoy what you smoke. cigars dont go bad if kept correctly. save up and buy a bunch at a time. i almost never buy less than $200 worth at a go but i spread that out over time to save up so i dont find myself short on cash should life happen

Good advise. When I started I felt that I had to have every good deal that came along. I ended up with A lot of cigars that I didn't really enjoy.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    kuzi16:

Good advise. When I started I felt that I had to have every good deal that came along. I ended up with A lot of cigars that I didn't really enjoy.
    #1 a bargain price isn't a good deal if you don't like the sticks. The reviews section is a great place to start.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I found the Cigar of the Month Club has been very helpful as well as the expert choices selections.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    How about we just bomb the sh$t out of you since your serving overseas and you post pics of troops blazing sticks??? Sounds like a fine plan to me.....BORK's?
  • Options
    SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    catfishbluezz:
    How about we just bomb the sh$t out of you since your serving overseas and you post pics of troops blazing sticks??? Sounds like a fine plan to me.....BORK's?
    +1 totally agree!!
  • Options
    But you are not allowed to import bombs into the country, not a good idea, lol
  • Options
    StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    Smokindaddy:
    catfishbluezz:
    +1 totally agree!!
    +2 Please PM address marine.
  • Options
    I am having a case of amnesia.......
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    DISCLAIMER: I've been drinking a lot of Moscow Mules (ginger beer, vodka, twist of lime) tonight, so take that into consideration when you notice spelling errors or me going off on a tangent.

When I first got into smoking cigars during the summer of 2010, I was looking for a list of things to try. I also bought a ton of sticks that I saw on the Daily Deal and Weekend Blitz. BAD IDEA on my part. I ended up with a bunch of sticks I didn't like or would never smoke

What I ended up doing was reading through a TON of reviews, reading the CCOM catalog that came in the mail, reading the descriptions of the cigars online and ordering the CCOM house sampler. The sampler helped me pin point what I might like and dislike from the flavor profiles and go from there.

From there I was able to find what I liked and disliked. Now, is it the same for everyone? NO! Did this work for me? YES! Eventually we just all find our nitch and love what we love.

I would suggest for newbies: read the reviews, read the cigar descriptions, order a sampler or two, then call into to CCOM and talk to a rep. Let them know what you like, so fa, and tey could put together a sampler that fits your flavor profile.

Again, that is my 2 cents worth (from a guy drinking vodka)!!!

Rob
  • Options
    bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Yuppers...
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    bigfnsteve:
    catfishbluezz:
    Yuppers...
    I'm packaging up some stuff to send over to him that he wanted to try
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am lucky. We have a very fine big cigar store not five miles from here; which has a tiny branch store about a quarter mile from here. My first step was to go into that big cigar store, buttonhole a helpful cigar geek, and tell him my situation. I told him the kinds of hooch I like, the kinds of wine I like, kinds of beer I like, and the kinds of food I like. He steered me straight on the very first go. Ever since then, I either go back to that store and ask one of the geeks, or else I go to their much smaller nearby store and telephone the geeks at the other place. I have bought very few un-smokables going at it this way. Mostly, the unsmokables were things I spotted while in there and grabbed on a lark. Far as what they recommend, tops. Reviews, well, i can't seem to grok them. Can't tell a hint from a note and don't want to smoke leather or nuts. Samplers have been hit and miss. Had a buddy I did a favor for who sent me a sampler in return. Half of them I threw away half burnt. But several others were quite good, and two out of the batch turned into faves. Got a box of one. So out of a couple dozen, only a one stuck. Sampling what friends have handed me to try has rarely worked. Tomorrow, for instance, I am going for a motorcycle ride with a buddy who handed me a Victor Sinclair. What a waste of matches. No, all in all, the well-stocked store with helpful geeks has really worked for me. If I didn't have them nearby, I dunno. I might try doing the same over the phone at cigar.com. But there's really something very valuable in looking at the product in the flesh., You smell it, you admire the leaf, you feel how it's packed.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Steve is sending some smokes to me and we will collect locally. If anyone wants to send them here for one large shipment, let me know.
  • Options
    I just heard the duck and cover alarm go off, I need to head to the bunker.....