Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar lighter(like the ones sold on ccom) v. cheap plastic lighters(like the ones sold at a gas stat

Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
What are the pros of using a cigar lighter, aside from wind resistance? Do you get a better light from a cigar lighter?

Comments

• Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    Ronson JetLite $3 at Wal-Mart. 'nuff said.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I guess it depends on the person. I love my duel ixar but the free ccom lighter I got from a 1 day deal works great too. I have tried regular lighters and just prefer the torch lighters. now I do think you can get overboard such as duel and tri, and even quad flames but they are soooo cool... lol
  • Options
    brc81:
    You do realize you gave 3 more dollars to that evil empire.... =)
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    brc81:
    If I could get them elsewhere I would, but I've never found them anywhere but Wal-Mart. I hate that place too. I guess I could get them online but they are $6 from the Ronson page plus shipping last I checked, and that just won't work for me.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I might see if I can find a Ronson. That's a price I don't mind paying at all.
  • Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    I got my xikar executive for a deal, 17 bucks. And...i dont regret it because all xikar products have a lifetime guarantee, so unless i lose it, it should be the last lighter i ever buy.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    brc81:
    what makes them so evil? that they give good prices to millions of people around the world? or that they employ millions more?

... i still dont shop there, i just dont think they are evil.

penn and teller did a good job of looking at the subject on their "bullshit" series
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    brc81:
    what makes them so evil? that they give good prices to millions of people around the world? or that they employ millions more?

... i still dont shop there, i just dont think they are evil.

penn and teller did a good job of looking at the subject on their "bullshit" series

1. I loved Penn and Teller's Bullshit

2. I still hate shopping at wal-mart - mainly because the insanity that ensues when I take my girlfriend there...my cigar budget begins diminishing as she buys things we really don't need
  • Options
    I have family that works in one of their distribution centers. She seems to like it and does okay. I dislike them primarily because it typically takes 30-45mins to get through the checkout lines no matter what time of day you go in there.
  • Options
    3 Stripes3 Stripes Posts: 25
    I picked up an executive from cigar.com with one of my purchases. It is a really nice lighter, the only thing I will look for next time I get one is a window to see how much is left in it.
  • Options
    lol, I love bullsh*t! great show. My main issue with walmart is how they treat their employee's. Yeah it's retail but they go way too overboard. Maybe it's more of a local problem or how some stores work but overall it's quite pathetic. Also here in Oregon several county's have petitioned to ban them from building a store do to a couple of reasons, one loss of small business's and also because of the drop in let's say "people" shopping there. Most of the places that a walmart is in portland here, they are in low income areas where once it was somewhat nice but now has become very trash ridden and very un-kept. I also have an issue with most retail chains due to how they treat their employees. Only a few in my area I will actually do business at. Though it could be just a local thing..
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    brc81:
    I have family that works in one of their distribution centers. She seems to like it and does okay. I dislike them primarily because it typically takes 30-45mins to get through the checkout lines no matter what time of day you go in there.
    +1!!! and on the subject of the thread-----
    I love my Rocky Patel single torch lighter, I got it for Christmas. It's easily at least $30 lighter and I get compliments on it everywhere I go, lol.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    lol, I love bullsh*t! great show. My main issue with walmart is how they treat their employee's. Yeah it's retail but they go way too overboard. Maybe it's more of a local problem or how some stores work but overall it's quite pathetic. Also here in Oregon several county's have petitioned to ban them from building a store do to a couple of reasons, one loss of small business's and also because of the drop in let's say "people" shopping there. Most of the places that a walmart is in portland here, they are in low income areas where once it was somewhat nice but now has become very trash ridden and very un-kept. I also have an issue with most retail chains due to how they treat their employees. Only a few in my area I will actually do business at. Though it could be just a local thing..
    until you personally have worked for walmart you have no basis for this statement. you really should check out the penn and tellers bullshit on walmart. its very insightful.

...i still dont shop there.
  • Options
    and on topic...

my xikar is with me at all times. lights every time.
  • Options
    ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    until you personally have worked for walmart you have no basis for this statement. you really should check out the penn and tellers bullshit on walmart. its very insightful.

...i still dont shop there.

I agree, most people that don't like their job end up blaming on their employer....
  • Options
    burchamsburchams Posts: 31

Hey Matt - Here's my take on the subject. Using a Bic style lighter requires you to suck in the flame in order to light the cigar which introduces too much heat down the stick thus effecting flavor. The torch lights the cigar without bringing the heat down the stick and therefore leaving you with the tastes that were intended. Plus they are cool to play with!

• Options
    burchams:

Hey Matt - Here's my take on the subject. Using a Bic style lighter requires you to suck in the flame in order to light the cigar which introduces too much heat down the stick thus effecting flavor. The torch lights the cigar without bringing the heat down the stick and therefore leaving you with the tastes that were intended. Plus they are cool to play with!

That's the problem I've been having with your basic plastic lighter. It also seems that with a torch lighter, the flame is more steady, which makes things easier. I guess the best way for me to find out is to try it.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Matt Marvel:
    burchams:

That's the problem I've been having with your basic plastic lighter. It also seems that with a torch lighter, the flame is more steady, which makes things easier. I guess the best way for me to find out is to try it.

if this were true, then why do so many people prefer to light their cigars with matches or cedar sticks with a normal open flame?

i think the biggest reason for matches/cedar sticks/torch over a REGULAR BIC is that a BIC doesn't use refined butane (if they even use butane). The impurities in the fuel in the BIC affect the flavor of the cigar more than the flame/heat being pulled up the stick will.

that being said however, you wouldn't want to 'burn' the foot of the cigar to light it no matter what you're using. you wanna try and roast it by pulling/directing the HEAT from the flame into the cigar - thus the advantage of a torch over most other conventional lighting methods.

this is how i've always looked at it, but maybe i've been wrong this whole time?

• Options
    burchamsburchams Posts: 31
    No. That makes sense to me. I forgot about those antiquated things called matches. And perhaps the flame from the torch is hot enough to cook off any possible impurities?
  • Options
    burchams:
    .... Plus they are cool to play with!
    YES!!
  • Options
    plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Iv'e been using my xikar for about 6 months. Havn't had any problems and it works great.