Home Cigar 101
Options

Nitpicky Definition

bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
Does the term "complex" have to do with the number of flavors detected with each draw or the flavor transitions during the cigar? It's a silly question, but one I've been thinking about and never actually seen defined in reviews.

Comments

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I would define it one if two ways. Some cigars are complex in the manner that there are several different flavors or undertones preset in the cigar. An example of this to might be a San cristobal that is very consistent and flavorful all the way. Another might be an opus or MF which start one way, change, them change again through the thirds. It really depends on the blend and the combustion o the tobaccos in my opinion. Try an elencos, opus, my father, RP sungrown, or reconquista and you'll get the Picture
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    com·plex [adj., v. kuhm-pleks, kom-pleks; n. kom-pleks] adjective; so complicated or intricate as to be hard to understand or deal with: a complex problem.

So if I were take a guess, it would have to be when they find it hard to describe exactly what flavor it is.

Just my wild a$Z guess. LOL!

I would be interested to see what the consensus is though. ; )
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    bbass2:
    Does the term "complex" have to do with the number of flavors detected with each draw or the flavor transitions during the cigar?
    yes

both are true.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    kuzi16:
    bbass2:
    Does the term "complex" have to do with the number of flavors detected with each draw or the flavor transitions during the cigar?
    yes

both are true.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    0patience:
    com·plex [adj., v. kuhm-pleks, kom-pleks; n. kom-pleks] adjective; so complicated or intricate as to be hard to understand or deal with: a complex problem.

So if I were take a guess, it would have to be when they find it hard to describe exactly what flavor it is.

Just my wild a$Z guess. LOL!

I would be interested to see what the consensus is though. ; )
    I use the term when either:
    a) The flavor profile changes throughout the burn
    b) When the strength or body changes throughout the burn, or
    c) When both occur.

Personally, some cigars may have a decent flavor profile, but aren't "interesting" enough to keep me coming back.

I work with a guy that smokes NOTHING but Fuente Curleyheads. IMO, that is a boring cigar, but as long as he enjoys it, that's all that matters.

Always keep in mind, "smoke what you like-Like what you smoke".
    In the end, it's YOU that matters.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Cool, thanks guys
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    "interesting"
    This is what I think of when I think of complexity in a cigar.
  • Options
    StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    NT
  • Options
    StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    Couldn't "Complex" be describing how difficult it was to smuggle them into the country? :-) Yep. That makes the most sense to me.

• Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I always thought it described cigars that were troubling to me?
    I had "complex" problems keeping the cigar lit, drawing properly, or fixing ragged burn lines......