Home Cigar 101
Options

Checking hygrometer while seasoning

JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
I just started seasoning a new 50 count humidor (someone gifted me with a 10 count seasoned and filled but I have since outgrown it). I have a shot glass of distilled water sitting in there and it's all closed up. Should I be checking the hygrometer every day or just let it sit for 2 or 3 days and then check it? Or is this one of those things that is a matter of personal preference and different people do it differently?

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    id get more than a shot glass in there.

id check it every day.
    shouldnt do any harm. just dont check it every 20 minutes.
  • Options
    JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
    kuzi16:
    id get more than a shot glass in there.

id check it every day.
    shouldnt do any harm. just dont check it every 20 minutes.
    Switched to a larger glass and a little more water. Thanks!
  • Options
    when i season i put one or two flatter dishes of water in there. the larger surface area will speed up the process.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    kuzi16:
    when i season i put one or two flatter dishes of water in there. the larger surface area will speed up the process.
    this
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I use a brand new wet sponge on a dish the first day. I wipe lightly the first day, next day it should be high 80's maybe even 90. I pull the sponge, then do the dish as these guys do and check it daily until it gets to the mid seventies, then pull the dish and add the humi devices and wait another night. I learned the hard way...twice. Take your time, let the wood soak up that water nice and slow. Check it every morning until it is consistent. There is nothing wrong with keeping your smokes in bags until it is perfect. So much better than dealing with the hassle of fluctation after a failed attempt.
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    When calibrating a hygrometer, have any of you experienced a 12 degree difference. I have seen a few degrees, but not 12 low.
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    When calibrating a hygrometer, have any of you experienced a 12 degree difference. I have seen a few degrees, but not 12 low.
    in a digital or analog?
  • Options
    Digital
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    Digital
    thats alot. id do it again. use -4 times as much salt by volume as you do water. it should mix to a thick salt paste. leave it in the dark for 24+ hours.
  • Options
    I got it up to 65, then re-did the whole thing over and got it up to 73. So I believe it is all squared away. Thanks Kuzi.
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I figure this is as good a place for this as starting a new thread. I'm currently seasoning a new 125ct that I got last Thursday. It came with an analog hygrometer that I did the salt test on for roughly 24 hours. It read about 75 or 76 percent rh. When I started the salt test I put a 1/2 cup measuring cup about half full of distilled water in the humidor and also charged the foam humidifier that came with it. After 24 hours, I moved the hygrometer to the humidor. I have checked it before bed each evening and it is bouncing around between 75 and 80 percent rh. When will it be ready for me to move my cigars into it and will the rh be closer to 70 when it is ready? From what I've gathered it should be a week or so. Also, I'm assuming the rh will drop off some when I move the cigars into the humidor. How much of a drop is too much/too little? Any help is appreciated.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It only took 3 days for my 300 count to be ready funny though it took a week for my 50 count to be ready. I gave it an extra day before I put sticks in to make sure it was stable. Get a digital hygrometer as soon as you can it's more accurate than analog. And get rid of the foam humidifier as quick as you can get gel or beads to replace it. Those foam humidifiers are mold magnets.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Rhamlin:
    It only took 3 days for my 300 count to be ready funny though it took a week for my 50 count to be ready. I gave it an extra day before I put sticks in to make sure it was stable. Get a digital hygrometer as soon as you can it's more accurate than analog. And get rid of the foam humidifier as quick as you can get gel or beads to replace it. Those foam humidifiers are mold magnets.
    +1. Foam is NOBODY'S friend.

• Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I agree. It's just a temporary fix for now. The good news is I live in a very arid climate. Mold and mildew are nearly nonexistent here. Even milk is good for a month past the date lol. Will a humicare gel jar be sufficient or should I go with something a little bigger?