Home General Discussion
Options

What is your favorite brand/manufacturer? WHY?

2»

Comments

• Options
    seagarloverseagarlover Posts: 437
    1] HOYO EXCALIBUR THE FLAVOR OF THE MADURO WRAP 2] ZOIDIAN CHILL MADURO DAILY SMOKE GREAT PRICE AND FLAVOR 3] PUNCH CHAMPION ROBUST FLAVOR SPICY NOTES 4] GURKHA TRIPLE EVERYTHING 5] MAN O WAR STRONG FLAVOR AFTER FOOD ONLY (TRUST ME) 6] ROCKY PATEL VINTAGE 2003 SMOOTH NUTTY CEDAR FLAVOR
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Russ55:
    j0z3r:
    Russ55:
    Davidoff. I like Dominican tobacco more than Nic, Honduran, and Cuban, and I like the things Kelner does with it. Additionally, their consistency and quality of manufacture is second to none, imho.
    Interesting. I agree that Kelner does amazing blends with Dominican tobaccos...and I guess for that matter so do Litto Gomez and the Fuentes. I can't help but have a bias against Dominican tobacco being weak and flavorless, and that's probably from smoking poor to average quality dominicans that were represented as something better than what they actually were.
    Yeah, it's the better Dominican tobaccos that I love. There's alot of crap out there that I agree is weak and flavorless. Probably not coincidentally, Litto Gomez and the Fuentes are my 2nd and 3rd favorites.

Also, I'm not saying I don't like Nic, Honduran, and Cuban tobacco. I do. I really like Honduran quite a bit, and Cuban would probably win over it if it wasn't such a pain in the ass (Consistency, difficultly of getting, etc). I know it's "easy" to get, but it's still a pain compared to other countries, to me at least. I guess I'm lazy. I'd rank Nicaraguan as my least favorite, but I still smoke it, and enjoy it when I'm in the mood, but it has a heavy, palate staining quality that I don't always care for.
    I think this just goes to show how each tobacco producing region has its own unique taste and personality. To this day, the best blend I've had (the LFD Cameroon Cabinet) is Dominican and Nicaraguan filler...and that's why rather than say this region is better than that region is better than that other region, I'm of the opinion that while each country is unique and good in its own way, blending is the best way to showcase what is great about each country.

This kind leads me a bit off topic to a thought I have often...why does one need to be better than the other, especially when the good qualities can be combined to make something better than the individual parts are capable of? I always see talk of "this being better than that", or "this isn't as good as the other one", etc..., and I don't know if it's just an American attitude about clearly defining the best or what. Or maybe I'm just doing that thing again where I overthink the situation.

I agree 100% with your first paragraph. Regarding the second one, for me it's more about what I like, and what I tend to gravitate towards. I smoke all countries, and all blends, and none are really better, or worse to me. It's just about what I feel like in the moment. I do tend to go for Dominicans, or at least blends that are heavily Dominican more often than not though.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Russ55:
    j0z3r:
    Russ55:
    j0z3r:
    Russ55:
    Davidoff. I like Dominican tobacco more than Nic, Honduran, and Cuban, and I like the things Kelner does with it. Additionally, their consistency and quality of manufacture is second to none, imho.
    Interesting. I agree that Kelner does amazing blends with Dominican tobaccos...and I guess for that matter so do Litto Gomez and the Fuentes. I can't help but have a bias against Dominican tobacco being weak and flavorless, and that's probably from smoking poor to average quality dominicans that were represented as something better than what they actually were.
    Yeah, it's the better Dominican tobaccos that I love. There's alot of crap out there that I agree is weak and flavorless. Probably not coincidentally, Litto Gomez and the Fuentes are my 2nd and 3rd favorites.

Also, I'm not saying I don't like Nic, Honduran, and Cuban tobacco. I do. I really like Honduran quite a bit, and Cuban would probably win over it if it wasn't such a pain in the ass (Consistency, difficultly of getting, etc). I know it's "easy" to get, but it's still a pain compared to other countries, to me at least. I guess I'm lazy. I'd rank Nicaraguan as my least favorite, but I still smoke it, and enjoy it when I'm in the mood, but it has a heavy, palate staining quality that I don't always care for.
    I think this just goes to show how each tobacco producing region has its own unique taste and personality. To this day, the best blend I've had (the LFD Cameroon Cabinet) is Dominican and Nicaraguan filler...and that's why rather than say this region is better than that region is better than that other region, I'm of the opinion that while each country is unique and good in its own way, blending is the best way to showcase what is great about each country.

This kind leads me a bit off topic to a thought I have often...why does one need to be better than the other, especially when the good qualities can be combined to make something better than the individual parts are capable of? I always see talk of "this being better than that", or "this isn't as good as the other one", etc..., and I don't know if it's just an American attitude about clearly defining the best or what. Or maybe I'm just doing that thing again where I overthink the situation.

I agree 100% with your first paragraph. Regarding the second one, for me it's more about what I like, and what I tend to gravitate towards. I smoke all countries, and all blends, and none are really better, or worse to me. It's just about what I feel like in the moment. I do tend to go for Dominicans, or at least blends that are heavily Dominican more often than not though.
    Yeah, the second part was just a thought that popped out. Not really something that has a place in this thread and probably should've been left out.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vision:
    I have to agree to AJF "at this moment". La Herencia Oscuro Fuerte is my daily for now. This is my first post and hope to be a part of many more.

Wow.... oh how tastes have changed.
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    it may be an american attitude. it may not be. i dont claim that Honduran tobacco is better than nicaraguan, i do say that i enjoy it more than nicaraguan.

to me this like asking who is the greatest guitar player ever. once you get to that top level it is so difficult to say what makes one better than another and some people have different styles and qualities that there is really no saying who is the "best" so its all subjective.

tobacco is all subjective. i mean, coke, or pepsi? Abita or stone? Pinot noir or Cabernet?

how do you develop criteria for whats "better?"

maybe thats why the thread is "favorite" not "best"
    Great question! People believe they know how to do this, but it really is a challenging process.

Although it was a rhetorical question, developing Critical Thinking skills is a huge new push in Education/Teaching. The goal is to embed the skills of 'critical thinking' into the process of learning, so that students will have the intellectual tools to understand what they are learning, but be able to formulate their own thoughtful conclusions using those ideas. The process, while it seems very logical after you understand it, is still a challenging process to learn how to do effectively.

Anyway, have a look here for http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CbkGf6MR1vo
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    catfishbluezz:
    1. Padron
    2. DPG/AJ this tie cannot be broken, it changes daily
    3. Liga
    Padron is what got me into smoking. I always tend to have a decent amount of natural's in the humi and always will. The anny maduro's are unbelievable IMO and one of few cigars I look at the price tag and say...yup it's worth it. I cannot think of any other cigar I wuod be willing to pay $20+ for and nto have a problem with it, although I have several in the humi waiting for that and I'd imainge those who've had Behike's might chime in. The Opus is amazing too, but I can't justify the price tag for some reason when people inflate the retail.
    Yep, spot on regarding both Padron and the MF/AJ thing. FYI, the wife got me a Padron '26 natural sampler for my b'day.

The Third for me has to be the Oliva V, can't have enough of 'em on hand, but that's the only Oliva I'm interested in.

I'm really surprised that you didn't put AVO in your top 3.

• Options
    I am still fairly new to cigars but the A. Fuentes for me have been consistently good. It's my go-to as of now. I haven't tried some of the other favorites but do look forward to trying a few Padron, Tatuaje, and more AJ sticks.
  • Options
    ctschirgictschirgi Posts: 63 ✭✭
    1. CAO, quality and price 2. Torano, Variety and price 3. 5 Vegas, Gold serries is affordable and an excellent mild/medium 4. AJ, Diesel UHC and pushing Penn Broadleaf into the mainstream 5. Ashton, Kept quality through the 1990's cigar boom, kept La Aroma de Cuba and San Cristabol lines going
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ctschirgi:
    Ashton... ...kept La Aroma de Cuba and San Cristabol lines going
    sorta. i mean, they did completely reblend them into something very different from what they were. I like the new San Cristobol and the old LAdC.
    i dont think ill ever see one of those again.
  • Options
    WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    1. JdN...It's just I never had a bad one and I've smoked quiet a few boxes of them, and I've tried pretty much most of their lines and was never disappointed. It's like they have a cigar for whichever mood I'm in. Go to for sure. 2. CAO, SPECIFICALLY MX2 and Brazilia. My MX2's that have been aging for about 9 months in my humidor smell like straight chocolate/coffee blend...like to the point where I take a sniff and my back tooth tingles from the sugar rush. They get SO MUCH BETTER with a little bit of rest, I'm just dumb founded. I thought I enjoyed these before but, wow. The Brazilia is just as good for me, well priced, never had issues. I know CAO has like a billion different kinds of cigars but these 2, I feel, they got it right.
  • Options
    ctschirgictschirgi Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Kuzi, my praise for Ashton was for buying the LAdC and San Cristabol names and keeping them alive. LAdC, I am sure is nothing like Winston Churchill smoked, but we still have the name and artwork(??).
  • Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    I currently really like Eiroa and Kelner for using tobaccos that are delicate and decadent in flavor. DPG is always my old faithful though. I got into smoking because of the Tat Havana VI and have loved almost anything out theMF factory since. That spice is just unmistakeable to me.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ctschirgi:
    Kuzi, my praise for Ashton was for buying the LAdC and San Cristabol names and keeping them alive. LAdC, I am sure is nothing like Winston Churchill smoked, but we still have the name and artwork(??).
    the ones Churchill smoked were made in Cuba.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Emilio Cigars...............

Why: Because Gary sends me paychecks lol
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    1. Padron
    3. Liga
    Padron is what got me into smoking. I always tend to have a decent amount of natural's in the humi and always will. The anny maduro's are unbelievable IMO and one of few cigars I look at the price tag and say...yup it's worth it. I cannot think of any other cigar I wuod be willing to pay $20+ for and nto have a problem with it, although I have several in the humi waiting for that and I'd imainge those who've had Behike's might chime in. The Opus is amazing too, but I can't justify the price tag for some reason when people inflate the retail.
    This is so funny seeing how the palette changes. Nowadays, I find it very hard to power through any AJ stick. DPG is still a favorite, but I am finding I like them with a year of age. Still love Padron, need more honestly. Liga is dead to me, other then the occasional UC. I'd say now...

1. Habanos
    2. Henke
    3. Padron
    4. Quesada DC's or aged DPG
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Dustin is correct. It is a ever changing experience. However, one thing didn't change over the years for me is the Habanos. Here is the list of my favourite for it's unique complexity, consistency and flavors and aroma:

1. Habanos
    2. Davidoff
    3. Padron
    4. La Palina
    5. Few Viaje- VOR#5 and VPR#6
    Lately I am kinda off with Opus X and entire Arturo Fuente cigars. I believe it is the price and their tricky marketing strategy to keep the price high. I have many Opus and Forbidden X. I don't know when I am going to smoke them again. I used to love them and still like them. I will see.
    catfishbluezz:
    catfishbluezz:
    1. Padron
    3. Liga
    This is so funny seeing how the palette changes. Nowadays, I find it very hard to power through any AJ stick. DPG is still a favorite, but I am finding I like them with a year of age. Still love Padron, need more honestly. Liga is dead to me, other then the occasional UC. I'd say now...

1. Habanos
    2. Henke
    3. Padron
    4. Quesada DC's or aged DPG
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I love most AJs blends and DPG but I usually prefer them fresh as I enjoy the extra bite. Not into aging cigars to much I am going to try to age a Behike that I have and have a couple of Johnny o's that I had little choice but to age. Hopefully one day my palate becomes as refined as some of yours. I love reading the reviews you guys do Rip, catfish, and Kuzi because I have learned a lot and have been trying to pick up more flavor and distinguish the changes but it's a work in progress. I don't prefer milder cigars but maybe one day I will pick up a Davidoff Puro d'Oro and start there as its their stronger version.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Padron,davidoff,la aurora and fuente
    I find these hard to beat in terms of consistency! Padron is my all time favorite and also is what really got me into cigars. La aurora has something about them that I just can't shy away from...the preferido line is a great stick and I'm a sucker for a figurado!! Davidoff well they are hard to go wrong with at anytime!! And fuente well I didn't care for them much at all but do like the subtle flavors now. The maduros are good and well the limited lines I find pretty dang good!! But as stated by rip and Dustin taste changes but I have a feeling these will always be in my top ten list
    Money can't buy taste