Home General Discussion
Options

Birthday Smokes Help

So I'm headin to my Saturday night Cigar bar a day early due to some friends being out of town tomorrow. I have a box at the bar with plenty of premium and super premium smokes. I think in honor oh my birthday i'm going to smoke a Padron 1926 No. 9 tonight. I love this cigar to begin with, and it has about 7 months of aging in my humidor :) I think i will probably smoke another one however i can't decide on it. A little help would be great. It is between the Graycliff 1666, RP Decade (one of my favs), VSG Illusion (another one of my favs), or an Opus X Petit Lancero. PLEASE HELP!

Comments

• Options
    ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    Since you cant decide, send me one of each, i'll smoke them and tell you which is the best...no charge!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    iwsmith2:
    So I'm headin to my Saturday night Cigar bar a day early due to some friends being out of town tomorrow. I have a box at the bar with plenty of premium and super premium smokes. I think in honor oh my birthday i'm going to smoke a Padron 1926 No. 9 tonight. I love this cigar to begin with, and it has about 7 months of aging in my humidor :) I think i will probably smoke another one however i can't decide on it. A little help would be great. It is between the Graycliff 1666, RP Decade (one of my favs), VSG Illusion (another one of my favs), or an Opus X Petit Lancero. PLEASE HELP!
    Are you kidding... Opus X, along with the Padron 1926-#9, perfect..Buckle up though .. both are Full bodied powerhouse cigars.. But you probably already know that.
  • Options
    iwsmith2iwsmith2 Posts: 65
    I definitely know they are both punch you in the face smokes. Kas which do you think i should smoke first? I'm thinking the OPUS followed by the 1926?
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    ScottU:
    Since you cant decide, send me one of each, i'll smoke them and tell you which is the best...no charge!
    wow you're so generous
  • Options
    ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    All for the good of a fellow smoker! :)
  • Options
    iwsmith2:
    I definitely know they are both punch you in the face smokes. Kas which do you think i should smoke first? I'm thinking the OPUS followed by the 1926?
    I would smoke the Opus first too.. I really love that one, if fact, you got me thinking it may be time for one...Let us know how this works out for you.. Happy Birthday by the way.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Let us know how it works for ya... enjoy
  • Options
    Oh man, Phenomenal Cigar Night. I smoked the Opus first. As always, this cigar has never let me down, it is just amazing. I'm pretty drunk right now so i can't explain it, but go try one. To follow it up i did the Padron 1926 No. 9. This cigar is unreal. It is my favorite cigar. A beautiful white ash the whole way down, perfect pull, thick smoke, absolutely ridiculous. I'll elaborate later
  • Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    I need to accumulate the kind of money to pull these stunts.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    OMG! A Padron 26 AND an Opus X!!! I think my head would explode from that much flavor.
    But WHAT A WAY TO GO!!!!
  • Options
    iwsmith2:
    Oh man, Phenomenal Cigar Night. I smoked the Opus first. As always, this cigar has never let me down, it is just amazing. I'm pretty drunk right now so i can't explain it, but go try one. To follow it up i did the Padron 1926 No. 9. This cigar is unreal. It is my favorite cigar. A beautiful white ash the whole way down, perfect pull, thick smoke, absolutely ridiculous. I'll elaborate later
    It's good to hear you had a pleasant night.. Both fine smokes for the occasion. Again, Happy birthday !
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    iwsmith2:

I'm inspired...my birthday is around the corner, maybe I'll try to have a cigar smoking night like this
  • Options
    bbc I highly recommend it. I paired these cigars with The Glenlivet 18yr. Oh good lord please go out on your birthdays and do yourself this treat. Glenlivet 18 yr is a perfect match for these full smokes. The complex taste of the glenlivet really complimented well with the Opus bringing out almost an oak like taste with an hint of a fruit. Paired with the padron, again an oak flavor was brought out along with an earthy taste among many other flavors. Great night, now i just have to work off the hangover. Credit to the Opus for being an amazing smoke, but if you have not tried a Padron 1926 No. 9, do yourself a favor and go buy at least one and age it for 6 months. It will be one of the best smokes you will ever have.
  • Options
    I've had both and enjoy them very much, but never thought of doing both on the same day. that's what inspires me. I have to say I don't imbibe alcohol anymore, so I'll leave that you the rest of you folks, but thanks for the suggestions! and Happy Birthday!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    iwsmith2:
    bbc I highly recommend it. I paired these cigars with The Glenlivet 18yr. Oh good lord please go out on your birthdays and do yourself this treat. Glenlivet 18 yr is a perfect match for these full smokes. The complex taste of the glenlivet really complimented well with the Opus bringing out almost an oak like taste with an hint of a fruit. Paired with the padron, again an oak flavor was brought out along with an earthy taste among many other flavors. Great night, now i just have to work off the hangover. Credit to the Opus for being an amazing smoke, but if you have not tried a Padron 1926 No. 9, do yourself a favor and go buy at least one and age it for 6 months. It will be one of the best smokes you will ever have.
    Is that Sctoch? I like the 26 but have yet to have any of my opus X's. I think I have a perfection x that has about a year on it.
  • Options
    yeah Glenlivet 18yr is a scotch. It's great.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    bbc020:
    I'm inspired...my birthday is around the corner, maybe I'll try to have a cigar smoking night like this
    When is your b-day bbc?
  • Options
    28th
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I guess I need to find an Opus to put away for my bday later this summer - something special for the big 5-0. It's a lot easier to find the Glenlivet!
  • Options
    benskibenski Posts: 24 ✭✭
    As I imagine you will be drinking on the night I would be inclined to think carefully about what will happen after your first cigar. Unless there is a good few hours in between them and your palate is "reset" - you're not going to get the full benefit of the second cigar. As you may have quite a bit of ale inside you by the 2nd cigar comes around, I'd think carefully about choosing a full bodied powerhouse over a more medium bodied affair. You may find the combination of a very strong cigar and an evening's worth of drinking a little too much and not enjoy your second stick quite as much as you should. I would be inclined to smoke something no larger than a toro for your second smoke, focus the attention on the first of the evening!
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    iwsmith2:
    yeah Glenlivet 18yr is a scotch. It's great.
    Macallan 18 is also very very good. i've had both.

Sadly, however...

I have never had a Padron 1926 or an Opus X... :*( oh woe is me...
  • Options
    benski:
    As I imagine you will be drinking on the night I would be inclined to think carefully about what will happen after your first cigar. Unless there is a good few hours in between them and your palate is "reset" - you're not going to get the full benefit of the second cigar. As you may have quite a bit of ale inside you by the 2nd cigar comes around, I'd think carefully about choosing a full bodied powerhouse over a more medium bodied affair. You may find the combination of a very strong cigar and an evening's worth of drinking a little too much and not enjoy your second stick quite as much as you should. I would be inclined to smoke something no larger than a toro for your second smoke, focus the attention on the first of the evening!
    I waited about an hour in between the opus and the padron. And it seemed that the opus x complimented the 1926 that i smoked an hour later. I was a little buzzed when i started the 1926, but it worked well.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im fairly sure its just me, but i try to only smoke one a day especially if they are very high end sticks. i wanna make sure my palate is very well rested for these tobacco made gems.
  • Options
    I usually do that. However I wanted to test it out for my bday and was certainly not dissapointed.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im glad it worked out.

• Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I say if you really wanted to treat yourself, you woulda ended the night with a GoF or something. Happy birthday, Mr. Smith. I plan on checking out your bar in the Strip...never been despite working less than three miles away.
  • Options
    Definitely Check it out, it is pretty pricey for drinks n'at. Kind of a place like morton's or ruth's chris. But the cigar bar is the perfect atmosphere.