Home Cigar 101
Options

Never encountered THIS before... WTF???

The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
Was puffing along on one of the new Sol Cubano Special Dark's I picked up from CCom a few weeks ago. Good flavor, everything going along fine - and then the draw got real wonkyabout a half inch in. I dont mean tightened up, and maybe saying the draw got wonky isnt right - draw was the same, but the smoke got real wispy, like nothing was happening.

I ashed the cigar, and here is what I saw...

Sorry about the pic - I was shaking a bit, and I left it bigger than usual so everyone could see what Im talking about (hopefully). The end of the cigar has a big azz hole in it, about the diameter of a small screwdriver shank, depth of hole undetermined.

Ive encountered all kinds of goofy construction and burn issues boys, but this is a new one. I didnt punch it or anything, hit it with a v-cutter, toasted the foot and torched it, thats all.

So the question - WTF is going on here???

Comments

• Options
    UPDATE - just probed the hole with a small screwdriver (ENFIDEL's gonna have a field day with that comment...) and the hole is about an inch past the burn line. Curiosity's got the best of me, so Im gonna try & fire this thing up again and see what happens.

• Options
    UPDATE TO THE UPDATE - cigar re-lit but it was the same story. Cut it at what I thought was past the end of the hole (HI ENFIDEL!) and it was still burned slightly in the center of the cigar in line with where the hole was. Kept trimming back and trimming back until I found the point where there was no sign of previous burning (leaving about TWO INCHES OF CIGAR LEFT). Tried a relight after toasting at this point - and the damned thing WOULD NOT LIGHT AT ALL!

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Ive seen this myself,, dont know what the hell it is,, maybe a stem that burns hotter and faster,, beetle tunnel??? me and jj talked about this we think its not beetle related but stem tobacco,,unless the torcedors use a wire rod to roll and then pull it out!!!!!
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    I think it is a stem as well, this happened on a stick my wife was smoking and we put it out and pulled a long stem out of it.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    This is tunneling....occurs when that part of the tobbaco is burning faster than the rest...you would know if it was a stem....a stem plugs...tunneling will cause you not to be able to get proper smoke off it until you get past it, the draw will remain fine although will feel "off" because of the lack of smoke...
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Was the stick in question a male or female? If it was a male, I would guess the hole would be an azzhole. If female, well ..uh..then..you know.... You probably should have determined this before you started your, um, 'probing' (hi Enfidel!) . You may have just crossed the line there into uncharted waters. Anywho, good luck with all that.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    This is tunneling....occurs when that part of the tobbaco is burning faster than the rest...you would know if it was a stem....a stem plugs...tunneling will cause you not to be able to get proper smoke off it until you get past it, the draw will remain fine although will feel "off" because of the lack of smoke...
    +1, but I gotta say - it's the smallest tunnel I've ever seen (but I've only seen 4 or 5)

• Options
    KingoftheCove:
    Diamondog:
    +1, but I gotta say - it's the smallest tunnel I've ever seen (but I've only seen 4 or 5)

in my experience thats the normal size for a tunel...
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    The Sniper:
    UPDATE - just probed the hole with a small screwdriver

Reminds you of the old days don't it Glen?! Everybody line up for their bore punch!
  • Options
    The Sniper:
    Cut it at what I thought was past the end of the hole

That's when you just gotta get deeper. Once you think you're deep enough go further. That's the ENFIDL way!
  • Options
    The Sniper:
    Was puffing along on one of the new Sol Cubano Special Dark's I picked up from CCom a few weeks ago. Good flavor, everything going along fine - and then the draw got real wonkyabout a half inch in. I dont mean tightened up, and maybe saying the draw got wonky isnt right - draw was the same, but the smoke got real wispy, like nothing was happening.

Sorry about the pic - I was shaking a bit, and I left it bigger than usual so everyone could see what Im talking about (hopefully). The end of the cigar has a big azz hole in it, about the diameter of a small screwdriver shank, depth of hole undetermined.

Ive encountered all kinds of goofy construction and burn issues boys, but this is a new one. I didnt punch it or anything, hit it with a v-cutter, toasted the foot and torched it, thats all.

If the hole wasn't so big I'd say you shouldn't be sexing up your cigars. But that hole is waayyy too big to have been made by you stud
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    ENFIDL doesn't dissapoint. LOL!
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Looks like your run of the mill tunnel to me. Always a bummer.
  • Options
    Diamondog:
    This seems like a spot-on description of what I encountered. Also, the plug later in the same cigar kinda makes me think maybe the torceador was down to the last bit in his pile of tobacco and instead of getting up to get a new pile to role said F it, rolled this one with what he had left in front of him and sent it on down the line. Nobody's perfect after all...

Thanks for all the responses fellas! Especially...

• Options
    ... THESE responses....

ENFIDL:
    The Sniper:

Reminds you of the old days don't it Glen?! Everybody line up for their bore punch!

ENFIDL:
    The Sniper:

That's when you just gotta get deeper. Once you think you're deep enough go further. That's the ENFIDL way!

ENFIDL:
    If the hole wasn't so big I'd say you shouldn't be sexing up your cigars. But that hole is waayyy too big to have been made by you stud

We've got a lot of newer members here who might not have experienced this before, so allow me to introduce to you to the long running Sniper-ENFIDEL comedy team! :-) Here's how it works - I toss the softballs up, and ENFIDEL knocks said balls out of the park. (Get a load of what he does with THAT ONE! LOL).

Simple mathematical equation actually, goes a little something like this...

Sniper saying something dumb + ENFIDEL's quick with = COMEDY GOLD!!!

Unfortunately doesnt happen nearly as often as it used to, but its pure magic when it does! :-) So enjoy gentlemen - you absolutely cannot put a price tag on this stuff. (Love ya E!)

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I commented myself on this phenomena in the Ratings & Reviews on the special dark, what you're showing looks very similar to what I experienced. I thought maybe it was a problem with the bunching process, except that didn't account for the wrapper not burning. The next one I had was fine after dry-boxing (which included no holes or drivers), but I suspect it was really just construction issues with the first cigar.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Uhhhh.... wrapper not burning? That adds a twist - I didnt mention it when I originally posted this, but the draw on the first one of these I smoked was VERY tight - gave myself a headache in the first third before I gave up on it. I hope this isnt one of those sticks that is ate up with construction issues, but my first one with the tight draw, my second with the tunneling and now your experience... starting to get a sinking feeling in my stomach where this stick is concerned...

• Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:

Exact Same thing with me but on a different cigar. I have the same picture you do.

• Options
    The Sniper:
    ... THESE responses....

ENFIDL:
    The Sniper:

ENFIDL:
    The Sniper:

ENFIDL:

We've got a lot of newer members here who might not have experienced this before, so allow me to introduce to you to the long running Sniper-ENFIDEL comedy team! :-) Here's how it works - I toss the softballs up, and ENFIDEL knocks said balls out of the park. (Get a load of what he does with THAT ONE! LOL).

Simple mathematical equation actually, goes a little something like this...

Sniper saying something dumb + ENFIDEL's quick with = COMEDY GOLD!!!

Unfortunately doesnt happen nearly as often as it used to, but its pure magic when it does! :-) So enjoy gentlemen - you absolutely cannot put a price tag on this stuff. (Love ya E!)

I love you too homie!!!
  • Options
    The Sniper:
    Here's how it works - I toss the softballs up

Glen they make stuff for this "softballs" problem you are having. Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about it. It happens to a lot of men as they get older....
  • Options
    KCW:
    Exact Same thing with me but on a different cigar. I have the same picture you do.

What was that stick out of curiosity, and when did that happen?

• Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    KCW:

What was that stick out of curiosity, and when did that happen?

I knew someone was going to ask me that.
    I'm still trying to figure that out. It's been buggin me. It was about a year ago. If I can figure it out I'll let you know.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have run into this issue before and it is very frustrating and will ruin a good cigar.
  • Options
    Had this happen half way through a Cohiba EL 2004 Sublime last night, was manageable but still clouded the enjoyment of the cigar and let me tell you boys this is not a stick you want this happening with lol...
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Diamondog:
    Had this happen half way through a Cohiba EL 2004 Sublime last night, was manageable but still clouded the enjoyment of the cigar and let me tell you boys this is not a stick you want this happening with lol...
    ouch
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Diamondog:
    Damn, I hope that wasn't one of the ones I sent you! That's a real shame.

• Options
    asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    I have the exact same burn hole on this undercrown that i'm smoking right now. But the hole is on both ends. Almost like the roller bunched the leaves with a gap in the middle. The cigar is burning fine and tastes good though, so i'm not going to worry about it.