Home Non Cigar Related
Options

RIP Mr Shelby

DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
Carrol Shelby passed away today. No matter what platform you like to drive , there is no denying his influence and gifts to speed.

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May he rest in peace... 8th grade carreer day flew out to Vegas and went through his factory out there, great man and he will be missed.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Hate to hear this. Shelby was a god among men in the performance world.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    A true genius amongst mere men.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Oh no! RIP! My first car was a Mustang Cobra with a design that I believe was influenced by Mr. Shelby.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was one of the nicest people that anyone could ever meet. He would talk cars all day long without looking at his watch. LOL!
    An absolute automotive genius. He will be missed.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Fritz_the_CatFritz_the_Cat Posts: 27
    Sad day in motorsports. My neighbor in Texas had a GT 350, man that car was sure fun to run through the gears.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Who is Carrol Shelby?
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    y2pascoe:
    Who is Carrol Shelby?

He made this

• Options
    And these...........

AC Cobra or Shelby Cobra (pictured in Roberto's post) , Daytona Coupe, GT40, Shelby GT350, Shelby GT500 and Dodge Viper.

Plus had his hand in or had influence over countless other performance vehicles. In the automotive industry, when they talk about performance, his name is one of the first to come up.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    A sad day indeed. However, since he was supposed to be dead from his heart condition 50 years ago, I count it a victory he lived this long. He had to quit race driving because he was taking 5 or so nitroglycerine pills a race. He was a visionary when it came to marketing and he certainly knew what it took to make a fast car. I've had the pleasure of driving a few Shelby cars and they may not always be the best at one thing or another but they've all been a great all-around fun car to drive. He really had a way with that. There was an article in one of the car magazines last month about all of his cars he put his name on and some of the career highlights. He was a pretty cool guy. He will be missed.
  • Options
    Anyone know that Graycliff made a Shelby cigar??
    Shelby American Collection Signature Series Cigars, by Graycliff.
    I'm not a big Graycliff fan, but that is one I wouldn't mind having and putting away.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    May he rest in peace, my wife was named for him. My wife was born 3 months premature and was in the hospital in the NICU for 2.5 months, well to pay for the hospital bill father-in-law had to sell his original 1966 Shelby Cobra 427. He knew my wife was going to cost him from day 1 so he told my mother-in-law since he had to get rid of his cobra at least he would always have a Shelby.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    The man was a true artisan when it came to automobiles.