Home Cigar 101
Options

Coolordore question

Hi All1 I have a cooler at home that I am thinking about using for a extra humidore, the only potential problem is that it smells musty, so do I use it or should i find another one, will the musty smell go away, how do I get riid of it? All comments welcome. Thannks everyone!

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    well if you want that smell moving into your cigars, I'd say don't use it. I'm not sure how you'd get the smell out without leaving some sort of smell behind which could ruin your cigars. Bleach will kill most things so you could try that but you'd have to really wash it with hot water and let it sit open. Maybe that will be enough to get the bleach smell out.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Wash the cooler out with a mixture of 1 part vinegar and 4 parts water, wash it thoroughly and let it air dry completely. The vinegar smell should go away and it will get rid of any mildew, or whatever is causing that smell.
  • Options
    somebod here has said before that packing it full of newspapers for a few days after you wash it out gets all the odors out.
  • Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    When I bought mine new it had that really strong nasty plastic smell to it. Following the advice of others, I scrubbed it down with bleach water. Then rinsed it out really well and let it sit outside in the elements for about a week. Then I brought it inside and smelled it and didn't smell anything, so I made the wife smell it to double check. Voila! No smells.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    mustluvcigars:
    somebod here has said before that packing it full of newspapers for a few days after you wash it out gets all the odors out.
    I did this with one of my coolers and it worked great for me. I think it was Kuzi that first suggested it. A quick search should turn up something.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rdnstn:
    mustluvcigars:
    I did this with one of my coolers and it worked great for me. I think it was Kuzi that first suggested it. A quick search should turn up something.
    yeah, i was the one that told you that.

my dad taught me that trick.
    ...works on stinky shoes also. just pack em full as soon as you take them off.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    rdnstn:
    mustluvcigars:
    yeah, i was the one that told you that.

my dad taught me that trick.
    ...works on stinky shoes also. just pack em full as soon as you take them off.
    wow, fantastic info! I need to try this. Jozer, great thinking. I never thought of that.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Jozer, great thinking. I never thought of that.
    The vinegar? It's pretty common actually, since it is an acid it will destroy the odor causing bacteria, but in dilution it will not impart an odor of its own, I also like it for cleaning windows...there's nothing you can't do with vinegar. :)
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    The vinegar? It's pretty common actually, since it is an acid it will destroy the odor causing bacteria, but in dilution it will not impart an odor of its own, I also like it for cleaning windows...there's nothing you can't do with vinegar. :)

I like vinegar on fried potato's ....now don't knock it if you havn't tried it, its really quite delicious
  • Options
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:

I like vinegar on fried potato's ....now don't knock it if you havn't tried it, its really quite delicious
    Anything like malt vinegar on fish and chips?
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    j0z3r:
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:

Anything like malt vinegar on fish and chips?

Never had that Joe so I can't say but it is good
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    at work i have used vinegar as a de-greaser. works fairly well i might add. Its food safe. we can use it over the fryers while they are on.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    If all else fails I would recomend pouring a box of arm and hammer in the cooler, shake it up real good and close it up, let it sit for a couple days and that should take care of it. but the vinegar should do the trick for sure.