Home General Discussion

AJ Fernandez: Spend my Money

benskibenski Posts: 24 ✭✭

Hmph. Both these deals look interesting.

I got a Man O War 5 pack o' torps way back in .. er.. November I think when they were giving them away free with $100 purchase. Smoked three. Liked 'em.

Now I see the boys are doing a deal on AJ's new "personal" line

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=390

Or, I could go for the bumper deal on Man O Wars

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=SP-MWBASST1

C'mon fellas, spend my money for me. Which should I get? Any reviews of the new AJ line out there?

Thanks!

benski

Comments

• betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I actually have probably about 15 or so of the A.J Signatures, though I haven't really gotten into them yet. I can probably smoke one tonight and let you know how it is; or I'd be happy to send you a pair.
  • I have smoked two of the A. Fernandez Signatures now (one Robusto, one Churchill). I found them to be a little on the young side, as if they were shipped too early, which was a surprising disappointment for AJ. I will be aging the others for a couple of months.

Having said that, the flavors in these cigars were outstanding. A great mix of the subtle sweetness you expect from Fernandez, blended expertly with a medium body, maybe medium-full depending on your tastes, that fills the pallet evenly and builds in the gut over time. I'm confident that when they've gotten past launch and a releasing well aged sticks, these will be another Fernandez hit, but if you are buying for the short term I would suggest going with the Man O' Wars this time around.

On the fullness and pepper scale, I'd put these squarely between the La Herencia and the SC Cuban Cabinet. Fuller than Herencia, but less pepper than the CC. In other words, an awesome line addition in the Herencia/Sig/CC/ManOWar spectrum.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Out of pure generosity, not only for my fellow man but also a fellow cigar lover, I will make a one time offer here. Send me your money, I'll spend it for you and let you know how the cigars were. :)
  • benskibenski Posts: 24 ✭✭
    j0z3r, thank you so much for your kind offer :~) Do you accept camels as payment? (the animal, not the cigarette)

Interesting that they taste "young" in your opinion. I do like most of the stuff coming from Fernandez and that factory, which is why this offer piqued my interest. The sticks are for the short term, I think I'll go with the MOWs.

Peace

benski
    Camels or burros are as good as hard cash around my parts. :)
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Great thread. This kid makes great cigars. Like several other cigar makers, they make some stuff I like and some I don't. But it comes down to range of taste. A good maker will produce a nice range so he has something for everyone. For me Sol Cubano Cuban Cab is one I really like. I smoked his sig series a lot since it is his fav and everytime I see AJ he is cramming them in my pocket. That said it is a great cigar but not my favorite in his portfolio. Honestly, it reminds me of The DPG Cuban Classic. If you like that cigar, you will love the A Fernandez Sig
    Good info.

Any chance we might be seeing the MoW Ruination on one of those daily deals Alex?
    I really want to try MoW, since it has drawn strong reviews. Is ruination new?
    Yeah, the ruination is new. I'll try to remember to include a MoW in our trade, I think they're pretty dang good.
    Thanks j0z3r, you're the best. You can pull out the Padilla if you want, since I bought the daily today.
  • Alex Svenson:
    Honestly, it reminds me of The DPG Cuban Classic. If you like that cigar, you will love the A Fernandez Sig

Interesting. Although the flavors are related and I can see where you're coming from, that isn't the cigar I would have picked as a closest match. The DPG Cuban Classic is fuller bodied and much more peppery, in my opinion. Maybe you're getting a "special" batch down there at the factory...

Thanks for all the great reporting of your trip to see Tabacalera Fernandez, by the way here and on other enthusiast sites. Its been awesome to read/watch!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Alex Svenson:
    Great thread. This kid makes great cigars. Like several other cigar makers, they make some stuff I like and some I don't. But it comes down to range of taste. A good maker will produce a nice range so he has something for everyone. For me Sol Cubano Cuban Cab is one I really like. I smoked his sig series a lot since it is his fav and everytime I see AJ he is cramming them in my pocket. That said it is a great cigar but not my favorite in his portfolio. Honestly, it reminds me of The DPG Cuban Classic. If you like that cigar, you will love the A Fernandez Sig

Hey bbc you hear that man ...
  • benskibenski Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I'm certainly looking forward to a Ruination. The macho styling is a little silly (hey! it's appealing to the market!) but the flavour is quite reasonable.
    They look pretty slick, I just checked them out. How fast did they sell out? From what I've heard, MoW is a newer brand; and Fernandez seems to be on fire this year.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Camels or burros are as good as hard cash around my parts. :)
    ROTFL!