Home Cigar 101
Options

Full, Medium, and Mild

i'm somewhat new to cigar smoking and i have a pretty good grasp on all of it. One of my last questions would be the difference between full, medium and mild. Could anyone try to describe the difference between the three? thanks

Comments

• Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Have a glass of tea with a tea bag. If you dunk it in once and drink, it will taste very light. If you dunk it in a few more times, itll have a rounded flavor. If you turn the entire mug dark from dunking it, you're seriously gonna taste that tea. Same idea with cigars, except tobacco replaces the tea-bag and air replaces the water. Youll understand easily if you just get one of each. Like...a cusano18 Double connecticut, 5 vegas classic, and a partagas black. There will be a dramatically different taste for each of those, and youll understand very quickly what each means.
  • Options
    awesome, thank you
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i was gunna go with a macanudo vs a camacho diploma.

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    well that is by far the best description I've heard. Though one more thing to consider, what is full body to one person won't be to some others. I run across this all the time. What some people would consider a strong cigar I find mild.
  • Options
    it is a good description with only one minor flaw:

you can have a full flavor cigar with a mild body.

make sense?
  • Options
    no?

lets go back to the tea.

one dunk and you have mild flavor and body. let it all turn black from dunking it you have both.... this is with black tea.
    if you use green tea then you will have mild body (less caffeinated and what not) but the flavor will still be strong.

NOW does it make sense?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Makes sense to me. I think people often forget there is more that just strength when evaluating a cigar and calling it mild, medium or full....what about its flavor?. I'd rather have a full flavored, medium strength cigar than a full strength cigar with a mild-medium flavor...not that I've had too many of the latter, they're usually more full flavored, but I take flavor over strength any day.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    ...I take flavor over strength any day.
    well said.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I think the tea analogy works better with cigars if you compare white, green and black teas. You have strength (caffene) in black tea, less in green tea and none in white tea. However, depending on how long you steep those teas in hot water, and what type of tea you use, you will get a very mild flavor for less time and fuller, more rounded flavor with more time (but don't over steep, or it'll get bitter). I'm a tea snob, so this made more sense to me. Even mild teas in strength (white) can be very complex and flavorful (ashton classic would be a good cigar comparison).
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    I think the tea analogy works better with cigars if you compare white, green and black teas. You have strength (caffene) in black tea, less in green tea and none in white tea. However, depending on how long you steep those teas in hot water, and what type of tea you use, you will get a very mild flavor for less time and fuller, more rounded flavor with more time (but don't over steep, or it'll get bitter). I'm a tea snob, so this made more sense to me. Even mild teas in strength (white) can be very complex and flavorful (ashton classic would be a good cigar comparison).
    i was gunna use white tea also but i didnt know how many people knew of or about white tea. Green was common.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    kuzi16:
    Rob1110:
    i was gunna use white tea also but i didnt know how many people knew of or about white tea. Green was common.

what about Oolong tea.....For those medium lovers
  • Options
    Love the white tea. If you haven't had and ever get the chance to try silver needle, I highly recommend it. I purchase most of my teas through an online company called adagio. Oolong would probably fall somewhere between green and black.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Rob1110:
    Oolong would probably fall somewhere between green and black.

This is true...usually a percentage of oxidization...where black is fully oxidized and green is barely if any oxidized.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I love how threads here seem to wander a little, there are a lot of funny things said. I myself love to blend tea, generally green with something sweeter, like red or herbal.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I myself love to tea bag. :-)
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    I myself love to tea bag. :-)
    lol
  • Options
    There goes the conversation, right down the gutter. Thanks wheel.

Beta: try mixing black tea with white. It's tough to get the right mix and steep time is off because black is supposed to be steeped for much shorter time, but the white tends to take a bit of the edge of the black and add some natural sweetness to it. I go with a good ceylon and silver needle.
  • Options
    Honestly, I only drink black tea in the morning, and if I softened it, I wouldn't be using it right. BUT, for the purposes of you being a total bad-ass, I'll try this tomorrow night when I eat my japanese food.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Rob1110:
    There goes the conversation, right down the gutter. Thanks wheel.

Beta: try mixing black tea with white. It's tough to get the right mix and steep time is off because black is supposed to be steeped for much shorter time, but the white tends to take a bit of the edge of the black and add some natural sweetness to it. I go with a good ceylon and silver needle.
    :-)
  • Options
    ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    I first read that as "I love to tea bag myself" Wrong...Very Wrong...
  • Options
    I'd give him points for flexibility though.