Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar Oasis 101

2»

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    An update on my humi sitchy-ation:

After letting it dry out for about 2 hours last night, at noon today it read 73%. So it is still coming down when I let it dry, but very slowly.

My new humi arrived today! It holds 300, and has 2 accessory drawers. Also, it's purty. The beads did not arrive, yet. So, for lack of a better option, I went ahead and moved the Oasis to the new humi, and put the non-dry cigars I have now in the old one, to keep them from drying out. There's nothing in there to keep things humidified on an ongoing basis, but I'm hoping it'll do until either the new humi is ready or the beads arrive.

Once the new humi is seasoned and the beads arrive, I'll move all my non-dry stogies into it, put some beads in, let the old humi dry out completely, then use the Oasis in it to gradually bring my dried out stogies back to life.

Any suggestions, tips, or things to watch out for would be greatly appreciated!

• Options
    madurofan:
    Urb, Why the hell didn't you divulge that you taught microbiology previously! Dammit man you are our go to guy on the mold/fungus/other gross crap growing near my cigars now!
    Heh. Well, it was a long time and a couple of careers ago. I probably remember just enough to be dangerous, but I'll happily offer whatever input I can, when I can.

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    As for your sticks that are in the old humi with no humidification. Did you keep the water pillows that came with your last ccom order? Eh?
  • Options
    Yes. I forgot about them. They're in there, too.
  • Options
    Those pillows will work until your beads come in.
  • Options
    Groovy.
  • Options
    Groovy? Really? Honestly? I need to stop drinking and posting its dangerous.
  • Options
    [In best Cheech & Chong stoner voice:] Groovy, man. Groovy.

In humi news, I just got home and checked the new one. The Oasis is reading 71.3% already. That didn't take long! I'll give it another 24 hrs. to settle in and stabilize, though. I've also got the little analog hygro that came with it calibrating. After 8 hrs. of the salt test, it's reading just over 70%. I'll give it overnight, too.

All in all, I'd have to say I'm pretty pleased so far.
  • Options
    Great to hear Urby!
  • Options
    'Tis, indeed. When I checked it at noon, the Oasis was reading 69.9 in the new humi, so I went ahead and emptied a box of Hemingways in it. (Given my experience last night with the first one from that box, I wanted to get them resting ASAP.) The little analog hygro was reading 73% on the salt test, so even it seems to be pretty accurate.

I may have lucked into a sweet little setup.

• Options
    Nice Urby, just remember your hygro is -2%.
  • Options
    I'll mark it somehow. Thanks.
  • Options
    Even better.