Home General Discussion
Options

OMG Hygrometer help!!

VisionVision Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I am trying to calibrate my hygrometers. I have 3 hygrometers in a cigar jar which is fully sealed and air tight. I have a DR RH 70% jar in the bottom. I am guessing that it should be 70%RH after a few hours at 71 degrees. I just looked and the Visol Digital is at 86, the brass analog is at 79/80 and the Vicks is at 77 (Yes as in vapor rub which I will get into next). So now I am more confused as ever. Is it really that high? Are they all off that much? Will the Red Sox get out of this slump? I hope you see my confusion. Now for the Vicks Hygrometer story. I was out the other night registering for our baby shower and found this little beauty at the local B.R.U. I looked it up and it is supposed to be calibrated out of the box. Yes it is for a room but I thought it couldn't hurt. My wife purchased some stuff she liked that was clearance so I stuffed it in the bottom of the carriage. She was so impressed that I could turn baby stuff into cigar stuff she bought it. Any thoughts? PLEASE HELP!!!

Comments

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Salt test the hygrometers and adjust as necessary. Humidity can build up quickly in those jars, they need to be opened and aired out weekly to be safe. If you're smoking from them, that usually isn't much of a problem.

EDIT: And no, the Sox are screwed and the O's are the real deal. Go Yankees!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    Salt test the hygrometers and adjust as necessary. Humidity can build up quickly in those jars, they need to be opened and aired out weekly to be safe. If you're smoking from them, that usually isn't much of a problem.

LOL at the Sox comment.... I can't watch! I am only using the jar for the test. I thought salt tests were bad for digitals?
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    Vision:
    Ken Light:

LOL at the Sox comment.... I can't watch! I am only using the jar for the test. I thought salt tests were bad for digitals?
    Never heard that before, but I have had bad luck with salt tests. Use a boveda calibration pack and get it right without all the hassle. I think they are 5 bucks on amazon.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Yeah salt test it. Never heard those being bad for the hygro
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Ugh. Brother, I REALLY dont mean to be Captain Negative here, but you got a TON of stuff going on at the same time which is gonna make this difficult. Here's the rundown...

1) The Cigar Jar. These are, as you say, AIR TIGHT. While this is good in theory, when it comes to humidors you dont WANT air tight, as some air circulation from the outside is actually good for cigars. Where it comes to humidity, they also hold it LIKE A MOFO, to the point where it can "build up" (for lack of a better term) and run too high. That part CAN be mitigated by...

2) The humidification system. You mentioned you had a Dr RH jar in the cigar jar. Ive never heard of Dr RH, so I cant really speak intelligently to it, but you need to check and see if it both puts out ADN ABSORBS humidity. You definitely want two-way humidification (puts off and soaks up) in a cigar jar due to the fact that it seals so tight, and that cigar jars (especially clear ones) are affected much more by ambient temperature and sunlight, which will in turn affect your humidity. The humidity thats measured by...

3) Your hygrometers. Analog hygrometers are notorious for being problem children. Ive never heard of the Visol so I cant speak for its quality, and I had to LOL at your Vicks hygrometer story. Using baby shopping to obtain cigar supplies??? BRILLIANT!!! You just got my vote for BOTL of the Year!

Back on topic though, are either of the digitals adjustable? Even if they're not, if they are stable at their reading (which I would caution you to calibrate them using a Boveda pack (my recommendation because they take the human error factor out of the equation) or salt test for 36-48 hours instead of just a few hours) they would be useable. Once we find out whether your hygro's are adjustable or not we can tell you how to do that.

Finally, ALL these problems are magnified because....

4) You're a RED Sox fan? Really? REALLY? Wrong color brother! You're supposed to be pulling for the WHITE SOX, and if you dont believe me go ask Carlton Fisk. :-) Once you start cheering for the White Sox, you will be closer to the hand of God, and all these issues will be INFINITELY easier to deal with. LOL

Hope this helps, and more than happy to help more if you need it either here or thru pm. Re-reading this, I sincerely hope I didnt come off as an elitist douchebag, because A) that certainly wasnt my intent, and B) the world has Cigar Afficianado for that. LOL Have fun and contiue to work the issue brother, but realize that as you're going at it currently you're fighting AT LEAST a three-front war when you would be better served dealing with one at a time. :-)

• Options
    PM to ya.
    1) You did NOT come off like a douche. I am from Boston and it takes a lot. 2) After Ozzie left there really isn't much to pull for out there (jk). I do like the Black Hawks.... does that make up for it?

Now for the serious stuff.
    I only use the Jar to check for hygrometer accuracy, never to store cigars. I have a Visol Digital and it only has a reset button. I didn't get the directions with it and can't find them online. The Vicks is supposed to be accurate right out of the pkg seeing it is supposed to be for a new borns room. The gel is also supposed to be 2 way. Says its a fully regulated 70% RH gel.

I guess the long and short of it is..... My post should have been "New Hygrometer recommendations". Any suggestions well taken.
    I will post a picture of My Vicks Vapo Rub Hygrometer tomorrow. I guarantee a LOL!

• Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Well, liking the Blackhawks at least shows ALL your taste isnt in your mouth... may be hope for you yet! LOL Well played sir, and well met. :-)

Back to business...

- misunderstood the fact that you were using the cigar jar AS a humidity test device. If you havent already, make sure the jar is in as consistent room temperature as you can, cool, and out of the sunlight.

- Visol Customer Service

A little gift from me to you, one Carlton Fisk fan to another. You can email or call em and they should have somebody who can get you the info you need.

- as to the Vicks being "accurate", does anything on the packaging say HOW accurate? To some folks, +/-15% might be accurate enough. To someone like me who chases micro-ohms for a living, that aint cutting it. My suggestion is find out what Vicks definition of "accurate" is - the health of your babies (cigars) depends on it! :-)

- two way humidification in the gel - EXCELLENT! One problem taken care of. See there? Progress! Score one for the good guys!

Finally, if you're looking for new hygro's I may have a suggestion or two on where you can pick some up without spending a ton. Let me know.

• Options
    I wasn't on this planet yet when Fisk waved the ball fair but it is the most iconic moment in Red Sox history by far.

Thanks for the Visol info. Emailed Customer Support for instructions.

I will tell you one thing (which you probably know) D. Rose is a BEAST (when healthy)

No real info on the pkg of the Vicks.

I look into all suggestions so all are welcome.