Home General Discussion
Options

Massive Amounts of New Content Uploaded

90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey Brothers and Sisters! As many of you know I've been consistently working on expanding the website that I created to house more reviews, shorts, news, and helpful information. Well after badly injuring my back yesterday I've had some serious time to work on the computer and have uploaded and addded massive amounts of content and entirely new sections and layouts. The site recieves no money and is in no way a competitor to Ccom or any other sites seeing as how it is just advertising cigar knowledge and reviews and news. I've poured my soul into this project and am daily researching and adding content. This is one of the best ways for me to get my name out there and establish a reputation and following so that I can make my start into the cigar world as a lifelong career, so PLEASE head over there and read through and leave comments in the shout boxes! Spread the word and in this posting PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE leave as much feedback as you can manage so long as it is constructive! The more I hear from you all the more I can tailor it to have the greatest impact and footprint to help you all out and give myself a leg up as well! Thank you all and thanks for your continued support!!!

You can reach the site directly by clicking HERE

"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."

Comments

• Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your back, little brother. I've got the site bookmarked and will leave all kinds of stupid comments and useless info on the site for you!! Congrats, bro!
  • Options
    Toombes:
    Sorry to hear about your back, little brother. I've got the site bookmarked and will leave all kinds of stupid comments and useless info on the site for you!! Congrats, bro!
    Thanks big bro! Added the new section "Everything Cigar 101" with the first article update being an article I stumbled across on Blending written by Hendrik Kelner (Master Blender who is responsible for blends from AVO, Davidoff, Hammer and Sickle, Occidental Reserve etc) and accompanying pictures. I'm currently writting and formatting another article for that section on humidor maintenance, collidor construction, and the big one of my "recommendation/how to" on the most effective way (that worked for me) to quickly and accurately enhance and grow your palate. I'll also be putting up another section sometime this week or weekend of examples of Cigar Box Clocks and Cigar Box Purses and starting to offer the ability for anyone (Ccom or just regular joe brothers) to commision and design their own clocks or projects and have me build and ship them out. If you or anyone else has some other ideas for new sections, topics, or avenues that would be neat to have on there or to have me add PLEASE SPEAK UP! Thanks Dan, and thank you everyone else!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Bad Azz site brother, it is now in my favorites!
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    Thanks bro! Any feedback or things I could add or change in your opinion?
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    90+ Irishman:
    marineatbn03:
    A few things that come to mind:

- Might wanna rework the page layout you have going on; lots of dead space on the side that's not being used. Maybe put links in there or get some sponsors to put ads in there? Either way, the website kinda comes across as low-grade because there's so much unused space

- Something that really bothered me is that "scroll" or something that all the text is imposed on top of - the scroll (or whatever it is) is a REALLY low quality pic; it's so washed out that it looks like it's from the early days of dial-up

- The front page doesn't really "hit me" or tell me why I should stay; it looks like an enthusiasts website, but not something I'd come to regularly to check up on - I'd say put the intro info you have up top (spread it out so it goes to both sides of the screen too), then put the "Important Cigar News" below it, so the first thing I see when I come to your site is the newest news in cigars, and get it updated!! - it's ok if your site doesn't have the latest news, but if you want ppl to keep checking, you need to get the news on there within a week (important news like cigarfest tickets same-day) and be an aggregate of news thats otherwise scattered around and hard to find

Hope all goes well for ya, good luck :)

EDIT - I know that reddit (a popular internet forum) has a subsection for cigars; might wanna ask on there as well

• Options
    90+ Irishman:
    marineatbn03:
    I know you have some feedback here already. Just me as browser, I would say you would have better success having your links and sections towards the top of the page. Reason is, anytime you go back to a home page or any page, is that it automatically takes you to the top of the page. Having all the links at the top just makes it more efficient and user friendly. But I like the content. From the little I know about you, I have no dout that there will more information crammed into that site than my little brain will be able to comprehend.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    xmacro did a good job with the formatting tweaks, except 1. I really don't like that scrolling over certain links at the bottom, such as reviews, pops up a list. I'd much rather click the link and be taken to a page with that list, even better if that list is supported by pictures.

More importantly, though, I'd like to see you add something that YOU wrote to the 101 heading. Something about how you developed your palette, which from your reviews seems very advanced. I think you really need this to posit yourself as the expert that someone should go to for information, reviews, and the consulting-type services you offer on your site.

Sorry to hear about your back, bro, I feel your pain, literally.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    The site is awesome Brett. I have it saved and will be refering to it ofter.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    xmacro did a good job with the formatting tweaks, except 1. I really don't like that scrolling over certain links at the bottom, such as reviews, pops up a list. I'd much rather click the link and be taken to a page with that list, even better if that list is supported by pictures.

More importantly, though, I'd like to see you add something that YOU wrote to the 101 heading. Something about how you developed your palette, which from your reviews seems very advanced. I think you really need this to posit yourself as the expert that someone should go to for information, reviews, and the consulting-type services you offer on your site.

Thanks Ken and I should be able to get that changed easily enough, and I'd agree on all accounts as well. Must have missed it earlier, but I do have an article that I am writting on the palate development and a few other things:

90+ Irishman:
    Thanks big bro! Added the new section "Everything Cigar 101" with the first article update being an article I stumbled across on Blending written by Hendrik Kelner (Master Blender who is responsible for blends from AVO, Davidoff, Hammer and Sickle, Occidental Reserve etc) and accompanying pictures. I'm currently writting and formatting another article for that section on humidor maintenance, collidor construction, and the big one of my "recommendation/how to" on the most effective way (that worked for me) to quickly and accurately enhance and grow your palate. I'll also be putting up another section sometime this week or weekend of examples of Cigar Box Clocks and Cigar Box Purses and starting to offer the ability for anyone (Ccom or just regular joe brothers) to commision and design their own clocks or projects and have me build and ship them out. If you or anyone else has some other ideas for new sections, topics, or avenues that would be neat to have on there or to have me add PLEASE SPEAK UP! Thanks Dan, and thank you everyone else!

Hope this helps, and Xmarco, I really appreciate your insight as well, I know you have a lot of knowledge and experience with internet pages and sites, so I really really appreciate it bro!

• Options
    xmacro:
    90+ Irishman:
    marineatbn03:

- Might wanna rework the page layout you have going on; lots of dead space on the side that's not being used. Maybe put links in there or get some sponsors to put ads in there? Either way, the website kinda comes across as low-grade because there's so much unused space

- Something that really bothered me is that "scroll" or something that all the text is imposed on top of - the scroll (or whatever it is) is a REALLY low quality pic; it's so washed out that it looks like it's from the early days of dial-up

- The front page doesn't really "hit me" or tell me why I should stay; it looks like an enthusiasts website, but not something I'd come to regularly to check up on - I'd say put the intro info you have up top (spread it out so it goes to both sides of the screen too), then put the "Important Cigar News" below it, so the first thing I see when I come to your site is the newest news in cigars, and get it updated!! - it's ok if your site doesn't have the latest news, but if you want ppl to keep checking, you need to get the news on there within a week (important news like cigarfest tickets same-day) and be an aggregate of news thats otherwise scattered around and hard to find

EDIT - I know that reddit (a popular internet forum) has a subsection for cigars; might wanna ask on there as well

THANK YOU REALLY! I appreciate the feedback and will make as many adjustments as I can based on this, I will also look into the formatting and advertising for the side areas that are just plain black right now along with different background with MUCH better visual pop. If I may, would I be able to pick your brain via PM? Thanks!
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    90+ Irishman:
    marineatbn03:
    I know you have some feedback here already. Just me as browser, I would say you would have better success having your links and sections towards the top of the page. Reason is, anytime you go back to a home page or any page, is that it automatically takes you to the top of the page. Having all the links at the top just makes it more efficient and user friendly. But I like the content. From the little I know about you, I have no dout that there will more information crammed into that site than my little brain will be able to comprehend.
    Hahaha well thanks Marine, the feedback AND the kind words are VERY much appreciated and I'll keep working my azz off to make this better for everyone ;)
  • Options
    Smokindaddy:
    The site is awesome Brett. I have it saved and will be refering to it ofter.
    Thnak you Jason, means a lot bro!
  • Options
    Not a problem. I quite thoroughly enjoy your reviews and would be pleased to see your site take off at mach 3 with its hair on fire, lol.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:

Thanks Ken and I should be able to get that changed easily enough, and I'd agree on all accounts as well. Must have missed it earlier, but I do have an article that I am writting on the palate development and a few other things:

90+ Irishman:

Hope this helps, and Xmarco, I really appreciate your insight as well, I know you have a lot of knowledge and experience with internet pages and sites, so I really really appreciate it bro!

hahaha, sorry about that, man, I spent so long on the site I forgot what the original post said.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:

Yep, +1 to all this. - bada$$ site Brett and I'll start off by saying it's definitely a lot more than I'd be able to put together.
    The content is awesome, you have some wonderful info and great reviews. I enjoy reading it all....But with that being said

Let me ask this - did you put the whole site together "from scratch" or did you start with a template?

Either way, the navigation and appearance just doesn't dazzle me. I think xmacro and Ken hit the nail on the head with their suggestions. The content is great, but getting to the content, and clicking through the site it just feels a little off. I'm not an expert on websites by any means, so I wouldn't know what the fixes would be. But I do you think there's probably some small tweaks you could do to make the site more "user friendly" for idiots like me!
    PM to you

Also sorry to hear about your back bro, get well soon.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    90+ Irishman:
    xmacro:
    90+ Irishman:
    marineatbn03:

THANK YOU REALLY! I appreciate the feedback and will make as many adjustments as I can based on this, I will also look into the formatting and advertising for the side areas that are just plain black right now along with different background with MUCH better visual pop. If I may, would I be able to pick your brain via PM? Thanks!
    If you want, send a PM, but just know that I'm not an expert on web pages (atty, not a web master or anything like that). My advice is mostly how I like to see/interact with web pages

And Ken Light is right-on with his suggestions; those drop down menus are incredibly annoying when they obscure other links; Ccom pulls it off because their menus are short and don't get in my way