Home General Discussion
Options

Anyone try Diamond Crown Maximus?

scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
I picked one up at a B&M thinking it was an Ashton (Similar band and right under them). Has anyone tried these? Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    good smoke. i wouldnt call it amazing but i am not mad at it. even with the price.
  • Options
    i picked one up sunday. havent even thought about smoking it. for 19.97 a stick for a toro its getting tucked away for while
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I like the original Diamond Crown and the Maximus. Both are really good sticks. I like the robusto personally. The original is a collaboration between JC Newman cigars and Fuente. Not sure if the Maximus is as well but it wouldn't surprise me. It's kinda like a VSG mixed with a sun grown Fuente. Very good, solid smoke
  • Options
    stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    It's a good smoke but not great for the price. I'd rather go with a purple label Graycliff grand crew or an opus for that kind of money. It's always fun to try something new though! Let us know what you thought of it....
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I tried a Robusto #5 that was really good. I do think they are a bit pricey. Nice smoke though.
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I disagree with the price point. I personally think that the smoke is worth it. Good smoke but just like any great with rest.
  • Options
    lcpleel:
    I disagree with the price point. I personally think that the smoke is worth it. Good smoke but just like any great with rest.
    I agree. They aren't that spendy. If you like VSG, you will appreciate the DC Maximus. They are close in cost which isn't that much for a good smoke these days.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    +1 with Dennis. DC Maximus is slightly more complex than Ashton VSG. Both are excellent cigars.
    dennisking:
    lcpleel:
    I agree. They aren't that spendy. If you like VSG, you will appreciate the DC Maximus. They are close in cost which isn't that much for a good smoke these days.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Found them at a B&M not to far from me, but with a hefty price tag. So no, have yet to try one.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I think the DC Max is leaps and bounds ahead of the VSG (I assume we're making this comparison because they are both cigars blended and produced by Fuente for someone else?). I don't think there are really any similarities in flavor though. I love the Maximus. It has a great profile that to me includes sour fruit and leather. The VSG to me is kind of a one trick pony (earthy leather). I definitely think the Maximus is worth trying if you like Fuente cigars, or Diamond Crown (not that the Maximus tastes anything like the regular Diamond Crown line). Great cigars all around though...
  • Options
    Burton you are correct that the comparison is due to them being Fuente made for someone else. I also feel that they are similar in body and strength as well as the baseline richness that they both have. I'm glad you also mentioned the original Diamond Crown. It's such a great mild smoke. very rich in flavor.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I need to revisit the DCM, smoked one close to 4 years ago and was less than impressed...things have changed quite a bit since then, chief among them being a newfound appreciation for Fuente.
  • Options
    Burton, I know you and Dennis are Fuente experts. What do you guys think about the Diamond Crown Maximus Stanford 90th?
    docbp87:
    I think the DC Max is leaps and bounds ahead of the VSG (I assume we're making this comparison because they are both cigars blended and produced by Fuente for someone else?). I don't think there are really any similarities in flavor though. I love the Maximus. It has a great profile that to me includes sour fruit and leather. The VSG to me is kind of a one trick pony (earthy leather). I definitely think the Maximus is worth trying if you like Fuente cigars, or Diamond Crown (not that the Maximus tastes anything like the regular Diamond Crown line). Great cigars all around though...
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    rzaman:
    Burton, I know you and Dennis are Fuente experts. What do you guys think about the Diamond Crown Maximus Stanford 90th?
    I'd hardly consider myself a Fuente expert... maybe a fan-boy. I have actually only smoked the Stanford's 90th once, and loved it. I think it is actually a better, more balanced cigar than the regular DCM. It has less body, and given the different wrapper, seems to be pretty much an entirely different cigar, other than the band similarity. I personally prefer a lighter bodied cigar most days, and if they were easier to find, the Standford's 90th would definitely have a place in my collection/rotation. Definitely worth the price of admission, even if it is just to try once.
  • Options

Good to know about your opinion. I smoked couple of this cigar. I enjoyed it a lot as a Cameroon lover. It has less body because the Stanford version comes with a modified blend which compliment the 18 years aged Cameroon wrapper well...though both carry similer name but in reality they are completly two different cigars.

I like the sweet woodiness of this cigar. the mild spiciness with creamy, milk chocolate flavor and the mild coffee under note is very pleasant. though the woody, oaky notes dominate the cigar but the complexcity is amazing. Though It is a medium bodied cigar but the long after taste is clearly notable. this is definitely worth of the price. I still have couple of them but will not hesitated to collect a full box if I can.
    docbp87:
    rzaman:
    I'd hardly consider myself a Fuente expert... maybe a fan-boy. I have actually only smoked the Stanford's 90th once, and loved it. I think it is actually a better, more balanced cigar than the regular DCM. It has less body, and given the different wrapper, seems to be pretty much an entirely different cigar, other than the band similarity. I personally prefer a lighter bodied cigar most days, and if they were easier to find, the Standford's 90th would definitely have a place in my collection/rotation. Definitely worth the price of admission, even if it is just to try once.
  • Options
    stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    dennisking:
    lcpleel:
    I haven't tried the Maximus so I can't speak to it directly. It's been a few years since I've smoked any DC. I just remember paying 15 or 20 bucks for the sticks and thinking they were just ok. I do like the VSG so now I've just added another cigar to the need to try list!
  • Options
    rzaman:
    docbp87:
    I'm also not an expert by any means, just a guy who appreciates their product because it really fits the profiles I enjoy. I would like to try the 90th but haven't had the opportunity to find the stick. One Diamond Crown I don't enjoy is the Julius Caeser. It's awful. Like burning hay.