Home Non Cigar Related
Options

ANTS!

y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
Short of calling an exterminator, does anyone know of a good method of destroying ants. Already had no luck at using any of the store bought sprays and insecticides. These aren't carpender ants, just the little ones that like to hide under wet sponges and the like. Everytime it rains they like to make a social club out of my kitchen counters.

Comments

• Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Clean the area with vinegar couple times of week. They will be all gone. I live in a tropical climate and vinegar keep me out of all the exotic bugs.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Not that this is going to help you...when I was a kid, my dad chewed tobacco. When he chewed outside he'd spit into the flower beds, and everywhere he would spit, the ants would march around it. Always found that interesting.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Make a mixture of sugar and Borax. They'll eat it and die. Now, I've only used this outside, but you may be able to put it inside in an inconspicuous area. Or maybe put it outside your house wherever you think they're coming from. It's always worked for me for those little ants, which I've always called sugar ants. Plus it's super cheap.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Sugar ants are a pain in the ass. I used some stuff from the hardware store. Can't remember what it was called. You would place a few drops of a sticky liquid on lil card board pieces and leave it in their trail. They would eat it and take it back to the nest. It worked for me.
  • Options
    ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    Im going to try the vinegar thing. I get them in my bathroom and i have no idea where the are freaking coming from. The drain?
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    If it is the drain then pour some vinegar in it. Hope they all go to heaven but remember you need to continue this for couple days.
    Imgembo:
    Im going to try the vinegar thing. I get them in my bathroom and i have no idea where the are freaking coming from. The drain?
  • Options
    christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Don't remember name of product. Can find it in menard. Little drops in corners killed all our ants including thousands of carpenter ants within a couple days. Came in during winter from our split wood. Our basement carpet was all black. It was gross. A few drops here and there was all it took. Put in corners and throughout house. Next day there were no ants to clean up. They took stuff to feed clan and died there out of sight.
  • Options
    StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    Amdro makes a really good product. They sell it at Wal-Mart. It's not very expensive and it works well. I've killed entire fire ant mounds with 1 application.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terro Liquid Ant Baits. Placed in strategic spots.
    The activity will increase for about 3 days and then trickle down to nothing.

A buddy who is an exterminator told me about it. Never had it fail yet.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    oilburneroilburner Posts: 91
    Second the terro. You can buy it in liquid form. I think it's what several other people were mentioning, but didn't know the name of. It's basically sugar syrup with borax mixed in. Put small puddles of it on pieces of cardboard, then set the cardboard in places where the ants have runs. As soon as they find it, they'll go crazy for the stuff. Replenish the puddle as the ants eat it up. In a few days the ants will be gone.
  • Options
    ctschirgictschirgi Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Heavy has the composition of the Ant Killer which works so well. It is sugar and borax. You also have to put everything in ziploc bags or tupperware and hit all spills the minute they happen. Those little "sugar" ants are quite amazing. I have seen about two hundred of them turn almost on cue and head the other way the second I took away their food source. Try getting 200 people to take the correct action at the same time.