Home General Discussion
Options

need some advice

Ok guys I and my friend are somewhat new to cigars. We have been smoking for a short period of time now. But there are some questions that stand out in my mind. Number one, I love smoking cigars but the day after I always have a cigar aftertaste still no matter what I do. Why is this and how can I do away with it? Second question, we are going to the beach soon and are planning on taking advantage of this great little cigar shop we know of, but we arent sure what to take with us to drink with cigars. I have tried many different liquors with our cigars but want to know two or three that go well with any cigar. I was considering taking a bottle of aged tequila, it always seems to go well with our cigars. What are your insights? And one more question then I will post more questions and concerns tomorrow. I have been considering buying some ghurka cigars, I have yet to have a ghurka yet. Has anyone had the sampler? Or what are some Ghurka cigars that are must haves if any? Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    It sort of depends; if you want the best taste, plan ahead as to the cigar you'll buy. But, Yuengling Lager is fairly safe.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Yeung Leung is a great beer for anything, can't go wrong there. As far as liquor, I feel the same about Johnny Walker Black Label and Chivas Regal 12 Year, both are very good and go with pretty much anything.

I would say the Gurkhas you need to try are the Regent, Turk, Shaggy, Centurian, and Legend. If you are in the mood for a two-hour smoke, the Beast is great also.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I'll let the other guys talk about the drinks that could be paired with your cigars, they have much more experience with that type of stuff, but to answer your first question, your experiencing what is called cigar mouth.

Basically, the smoke and other stuff from the cigar has attached itself to your mucous, the stuff on your tongue, and all the little nooks and crannies in your mouth, the simplest way to knock this down is brushing your teeth thoroughly. If you have the time and your ok with it, eat a little something, then go wash your mouth out with a fairly harsh mouthwash (i.e. Listerine) for at least a minute, then brush, scrape your tongue, then gargle some more mouthwash. Now, I can't guarantee that you won't have a little cigar mouth in the morning, but it won't be as bad as if you didn't do anything.

The biggest help is scraping your tongue, in my experience, the smoke adheres to the build up from the day like no other.

Or, the easiest solution is to just get used to it. Or chew gum.
  • Options
    JFJF Posts: 54

A little aftertaste will always remain. Always. But, brushing thoroughly DOES help. In this case, thoroughly means teeth, tounge as far back as you can go without gagging, inside of cheeks, hard palate (roof of mouth). THEN mouthwash. THEN eat a large apple, making sure to chew slowly (seems to leach away some of the taste). I have a friend who swears by dried mango for this, doesn't work particularly well for me. I've read one article by a guy who apparently gargles a mixture of 1/5th shampoo, 4/5ths water - apparently the Hydrogen Sulfide in the shampoo disolves the oleoresins from the cigar smoke nicely - I wouldn't particularly reccomend this, however, as even small amounts of this, swallowed, would be quite toxic.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Tequila goes great with cigars. Tequila goes great with everything. I much prefer the blancos to the anejos because it tastes only like tequila, not wood. What is your staple brand? El Corazon is my go-to but I never met a premium I didn't like. I also like a nice whiskey, especially if the cigar is fuller or spicier because tequila can be spicy and I don't like it to compete with the cigar.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    iced tea goes with cigars well.

gurkha?
    id go with the regent if you are new to cigars. Its mild in body but has a good amount of flavor. Its one of my favorite gurkha cigars.
    the centurian IS my favorite gurkha. Im not sure its worth the price tag but if you find them on sale grab as many as you can.
    same with the legend.
    the nepalese warrior is good if you like the regent or a Cameroon wrapper (its a regent with a Cameroon wrapper)

i think that either this or this are good deals on gurkha samplers.

• Options
    Ya I do brush and mouth wash after each cigar, and still this morning I have cigar mouth. Its no big deal but sometimes It gets old. MY go to tequila is patron, in my area the liquor store dosnt carry much. I think Im going to order the ghurka sampler, and the grand reserve with it. I really need to find what I like, I have been keeping notes on all my cigars. On cigar that is heaven for me is the padron 64, my bestfriend and I split a box at the beach last year. One thing we were wondering also is how bad for you are cigars, I mean is it terribly bad if you smoke one or two a week?
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Can't go wrong with a nice bourbon whiskey, such as Jack Daniels...my favorite.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    newtocigars:
    Ya I do brush and mouth wash after each cigar, and still this morning I have cigar mouth. Its no big deal but sometimes It gets old. MY go to tequila is patron, in my area the liquor store dosnt carry much. I think Im going to order the ghurka sampler, and the grand reserve with it. I really need to find what I like, I have been keeping notes on all my cigars. On cigar that is heaven for me is the padron 64, my bestfriend and I split a box at the beach last year. One thing we were wondering also is how bad for you are cigars, I mean is it terribly bad if you smoke one or two a week?

One or two a week is no sweat at all. I would worry more about being hit by lightning than health repercussions from such a light smoking schedule ...
  • Options
    If you smoke less then once a day, there is an unmeasurable difference from a nonsmoker. And put that patron away. Get something real, a Reposado tequila, maybe Don Julio.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    newtocigars:
    One thing we were wondering also is how bad for you are cigars, I mean is it terribly bad if you smoke one or two a week?
    I have read studies that say you can smoke up to TWO CHURCHILL SIZED CIGARS A DAY with little to no risk increase involved.

but as it is with everyting that is good in life (food, wine, beer, tobacco, coffee, etc...) they seemed to be appreciated most in (relative) moderation.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    that's good to know kuzi.
  • Options
    Ok so I will try to find some good tequila for the trip. Also we think we are going to pick up some gin and a nice whiskey. Other questions we have had for awhile and really didnt have anyone to ask are, when smoking a cigar how should you hold it in your mouth? I have had only a few go out becasue of spit lol, but i see guys placing the entire cigar in their mouth. Also can someone explain the burning hot and cold concept to me? We were wondering if the size of the cigars we are smoking should stay the same at all times or should we smoke different sizes all the time?
  • Options
    I don't really like gin, and whiskey has never been my thing, so I can't help you there. I generally try not to hold the cigar in my mouth, but if I have to, I pull my lips into my mouth so the cigar rests on the driest part. As far as sizes go, I know different sizes will play with the draw, the body, and even the flavor.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    betasynn:
    I don't really like gin, and whiskey has never been my thing, so I can't help you there. I generally try not to hold the cigar in my mouth, but if I have to, I pull my lips into my mouth so the cigar rests on the driest part. As far as sizes go, I know different sizes will play with the draw, the body, and even the flavor.
    I do the same, a wet cigar is a un-happy cigar. I find coffee works well, or frapps. a lot of liquors are too strong for a lot cigars at least to me. dr. pepper is also good.
  • Options
    I usually buy those glass bottles of Starbucks Vanilla Frappachinos. It goes really well with most cigars, REALLY **** well.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha - My Fav
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    smoking hot cigar- when your cigar gets hot, this usually you're smoking it too fast, (or it could be really windy)- faster you smoke=more oxygen=higher temp in your cigar=cigar that starts to taste like crap. Take your time, and let your cigar rest at times. No sense in rushing a wonderful experience.

"Long ashes my friends."