Home Cigar 101
Options

New Humidor ????

I am new to the cigar smoking world and I just got my humidor delivered. I have been trying to set up the humidor but I can't get it to the ideal 70/70 numbers. I have followed all the instructions but the highest I can get it to is 58. Please advise...

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    so you seasoned your humidor for more than 24 hours and you still cant get that RH up?

did you calibrate your hygrometer?
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    what are you using for your humidifyer?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    SlickRSSlickRS Posts: 44
    Thanks for your help. I wiped the inside with a damp cloth with distilled water. I soaked the humidifier with the distilled water and put it back in but after about 24 hour it has not gotten over 58. The hygrometer is digital and I pulled the battery out and put it back in then I put it back in the humidor.
  • Options
    SlickRSSlickRS Posts: 44
    I am using the retangle humidifer that came with the humidor. Then I have soaked it with distilled water.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Look into the Boveda packs...I love mine and they are constant and consistant
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Humi-care also works well
  • Options
    It sounds like the wood may still be a bit dry and soaking up moisture. Here's how I set mine up. When I got it in I wiped it down with distiller water, then I set a shot glass of distilled water in it for about three to five days just to make sure the wood was sufficiently seasoned. Then I salt tested the hygrometer and re-calibrated it. Then I loaded my cigars into it along with the hygrometer and humidifier. I've been running 71-73% humidity ever since.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    71 to 73% isn't that a bit high do you get issues with your smokes i always thought the ideal was around 65ish i know its personal preference but don't burn issues start if your rh is to high.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Just to throw this in there, in like 12 hours, I'll be buying my first real humi. Which is exciting!
  • Options
    smokester:
    71 to 73% isn't that a bit high do you get issues with your smokes i always thought the ideal was around 65ish i know its personal preference but don't burn issues start if your rh is to high.

I haven't had too many burn issues, unless I smoke them too fast. From what I've read 65% is just maintenance rh, but around 70-73, is ideal for aging. Don't know if this is true, but I'm not having any frustrations with my cigars.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Mine hover around 71. Nevr had any issues...except with Padilla Obsidian. Other burn issues i can attribute to the wind, that'll really screw with your burn.