Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Any former or current collegiate wrestlers/boxers/fighers/etc on the forum?

The bane of any wrestler/fighter/boxer/etc is cutting weight... it sucks, isn't fun, and definitely the worst part about preparing for competition. I'm about to have to cut 10-15lbs, luckily I have about 6 weeks to do it in so thats not an issue... plus I've cut nearly 20lbs in under a week before (short notice). Point being of this topic, What are you favorite/tried and true methods for cutting weight??? And if there are no wrestlers/fighters/boxers etc on the forum... then talk about boobs so this thread doesn't go to waste.

Comments

• Options
    StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    I wasn't really a boob man until I met my wife. She's got natural, perky double Ds. Most beautiful things I've ever seen. She just turned 36 so in a few years, I'll get 'em replaced with something less BAM. They're starting to hurt her back anyway. We just can't have that.

Anyway, good luck on your fight. I hope you beat his azz.
  • Options
    JaxcolonJaxcolon Posts: 24
    There ya go, that'll be a good Christmas gift for the both of you! More manageable for her, and nice and perky new tah-tahs for you to play with. Haha. Thanks man! Me too haha.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Streater:
    I wasn't really a boob man until I met my wife. She's got natural, perky double Ds. Most beautiful things I've ever seen. She just turned 36 so in a few years, I'll get 'em replaced with something less BAM. They're starting to hurt her back anyway. We just can't have that.

+1, brother! My wife has 44DD's, I can wear her bra as a hat!! Her back is starting to bother her too. I've offered to help take some of the weight off her, but she doesn't think it's appropriate in public...
    Good luck on the fight, bro!
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    When I was cutting weight, I did a crossfit WOD in the morning and a 5 mile run in the afternoon/evening. Dropped 10lbs in a week and a half.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Toombes:
    Streater:

+1, brother! My wife has 44DD's, I can wear her bra as a hat!! Her back is starting to bother her too. I've offered to help take some of the weight off her, but she doesn't think it's appropriate in public...
    Good luck on the fight, bro!
    Your head doesn't look that big in your pic
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    When I was cutting weight, I did a crossfit WOD in the morning and a 5 mile run in the afternoon/evening. Dropped 10lbs in a week and a half.
    Nice. Im steadily dropping because I want to go to a lower weightclass for the fight after this one. Really been wanting to look into crossfit.
  • Options
    I trained with buddy of mine who was/is fighting. He was 6'4 220. We both started going to a crossfit in FL that also was a fighting gym. So, he would train, then do a crossfit workout. It shredded him down to 200 lean.
  • Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    marineatbn03:
    I trained with buddy of mine who was/is fighting. He was 6'4 220. We both started going to a crossfit in FL that also was a fighting gym. So, he would train, then do a crossfit workout. It shredded him down to 200 lean.
    Used to drop a few pounds the day of matches wearing trash bags and sweatshirts, and running. I remember being so dehydrated that a guy barely touched my nose in a match causing me to blow blood out my nostril. Good times
  • Options
    cmartincmartin Posts: 130
    Crossfits great. Look into seal grinder pt. it's cross fit but higher reps and longer runs. Ive been doing it for 3 months now. Most workouts are about an hour. It's a ring out ur shirt when your done type workouts.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I've always known wrestlers and fighters to be top-notch athletes and that always made me think of them as being very healthy physical specimens. As a track and field athlete in HS and college, I always had a lot of respect for the wrestlers because they would run more than we did! The more I got into watching UFC, the more I started to understand just how much weight these guys take off and put on in really short amounts of time. I'm just curious. What type of short term and long term health consequences are there for doing this?
  • Options
    I have heard of the SEAL grinder, just never tried it. May have to do a little research.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to do some boxing in my day. I had to quit, though, on account of my hands. The referee kept stepping on 'em.......
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    I used to do some boxing in my day. I had to quit, though, on account of my hands. The referee kept stepping on 'em.......
    LOL
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    marineatbn03:
    jlmarta:
    LOL
    LOL +1 As far as the effects of cutting weight long term. As with anything, excess is a NO NO. When the system is stressed in such a way, the organs can shut down as a result of dehydration usually. (usually the kidneys or heart) There is currently not any "accepted" literature on the subject that I could find however, it makes perfect sense to conclude that if you go too hard and dehydrate yourself, you could cause organ damage or even death. I have seen fighters in rubber suits, heaters in rooms in excess of 100 degrees, while on a stair stepper and exercise bikes. That is a huge risk, and Jon you better not be doing it this way! I'm pretty sure you aren't! Besides, you could never sustain a weight by doing this. If you're gonna go down to 185, more than once (lol), you gotta do it the right way!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    A lot of talk about weight cutting...I figured I'd explore the other option a bit.

You're welcome. Big Smile [:D]

• Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I cut weight in high school for wrestling. If you have 6 weeks to cut 10 lbs then regular exercise and eating well can do it. Also work on eating less portions slowly. Your body will get used to it and you will not lose any energy. I do 5-7 hours of Tae Kwon Do a week and eat a very light breakfast (chobani yogurt), decent lunch (almost anything I want but I try and be sensible), and for dinner I don't eat until 8 or 9pm and it is usually chicken/pork with some salad and milk.

When I was cutting weight and had to do it quickly I would eat orange juice concentrate. Vitamin C is very important when you are cutting weight and you can't leave your stomach completely empty. In high school as a senior I was cutting from 118 to 103.

As a side note, don't ever cut weight or make your kids cut weight in a drastic fashion. It is completely unhealthy and I know what I did in highschool wasn't good for my body. To this day I know I would have been taller and a bit bigger if I hadn't done that. It wrecks the prime growing years of boys age 15-18.
  • Options
    mmccartneydc:
    marineatbn03:
    jlmarta:
    LOL
    LOL +1 As far as the effects of cutting weight long term. As with anything, excess is a NO NO. When the system is stressed in such a way, the organs can shut down as a result of dehydration usually. (usually the kidneys or heart) There is currently not any "accepted" literature on the subject that I could find however, it makes perfect sense to conclude that if you go too hard and dehydrate yourself, you could cause organ damage or even death. I have seen fighters in rubber suits, heaters in rooms in excess of 100 degrees, while on a stair stepper and exercise bikes. That is a huge risk, and Jon you better not be doing it this way! I'm pretty sure you aren't! Besides, you could never sustain a weight by doing this. If you're gonna go down to 185, more than once (lol), you gotta do it the right way!
    My first cut was like that, dehydrated the *** out of myself, but that was only because it was such an extreme cut on short notice. The second fight I fought up a weightclass so I stepped on the scale in full clothes with keys and wallet in my pockets lol. And the third wasn't a hard cut either because I had time to do a healthy cut... like I do for this one.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    A lot of talk about weight cutting...I figured I'd explore the other option a bit.

One of my fav gifs on the interwebs.... oldie but goodie. haha. Way to contribute to the thread!
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:

Thanks Joe, I am losing weight a couple of ounces at a time..............
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    j0z3r:

Thanks Joe, I am losing weight a couple of ounces at a time..............
    LOL effin Todd.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wrestled all 4 years in high school. I too did the unsafe trash bag deal to cut weight though.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Well..... My fight got pushed back to August, I believe my opponent backed out so I have to fight on the next card. Oh well.... now I dont feel so bad about drinking beer and smoking those few sticks with Doc this past weekend lol.
  • Options
    StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    Jaxcolon:
    Well..... My fight got pushed back to August, I believe my opponent backed out so I have to fight on the next card. Oh well....
    Damn. That sucks. You should go to a titty bar.