Home General Discussion
Options

up to this point I've strictly used matches

I usually only use sulphor free matches but ive been finding the only draw back being how windy it gets in ohio that and well pulling the box out of my pocket and them scattering everywhere. given the rediculous price point of double and triple flame lighters (which I'd love to have) ive been content with matches i also like the flavor of the matches but im looking to get a lighter. any suggestions? anyone willing to trade for one if they have a spare, or hell even let me use a one for a bit to see if i like it? What do you guys prefer to use on your sticks? just some thoughts ive been kickin around. thanks for any and all input on this topic.

Comments

• Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    i wish i would have known this when i sent you that last box, lol, i have an extra lighter ill send you (wont be able to get to a post office till like friday though), it tends to be picky about its fuel though...
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I'm so sick of expensive lighters that are always not working, plugged, dirty what have you. I'd much rather spend that money on actual cigars and not accessories. I love using matches and when I can't I usually just use a bic.
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    I'm so sick of expensive lighters that are always not working, plugged, dirty what have you. I'd much rather spend that money on actual cigars and not accessories. I love using matches and when I can't I usually just use a bic.
    see ive heard alot about the plugging too... thats why ive always shyed away from em. I love the taste of my arango sportsman sulphor free matches but its so damn windy where I live. And i tried a bic once and didnt really care for it i got a chemical taste from it. Ive also used my zippo to light cedar planks but again the wind...
  • Options
    Im also a fan of matches, but I do have to say that the majority of the time i find myself using a refillable "stick" lighter like you use to light a grill.
  • Options
    taythegibs:
    i wish i would have known this when i sent you that last box, lol, i have an extra lighter ill send you (wont be able to get to a post office till like friday though), it tends to be picky about its fuel though...
    Man you are the bomb when i get my package together for you i think you'll enjoy. Let me know what kind of fuel it prefers and i will try to get my hands on it. single? double triple etc.?
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    aeon, if you really want a triple torch lighter I have one you can have. It's almost brand new, and works perfectly, I just don't use it because I do not like the amount of heat a triple produces, as it torches the wrapper too easily. But, if you want it, it's yours. My suggestion is always the same: Jobon Dual Flame ($10 on ebay!) it has a soft flame and a torch. It's all I use.
  • Options
    BigT06:
    aeon, if you really want a triple torch lighter I have one you can have. It's almost brand new, and works perfectly, I just don't use it because I do not like the amount of heat a triple produces, as it torches the wrapper too easily. But, if you want it, it's yours. My suggestion is always the same: Jobon Dual Flame ($10 on ebay!) it has a soft flame and a torch. It's all I use.
    thatd be great. now i smoke mainly larger ringe gauage cigars 52-60 mainly very rarely do i go smaller. would this make a difference? pm to ya
  • Options
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    taythegibs:
    Man you are the bomb when i get my package together for you i think you'll enjoy. Let me know what kind of fuel it prefers and i will try to get my hands on it. single? double triple etc.?
    its a triple flame (actually the second one of the Black Ops that i got), the last stuff i tried that it seemed to like was the xikar butane that they sell here on Ccom, but i think that most of the triple refined stuff would work alright.
  • Options
    taythegibs:
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    taythegibs:
    its a triple flame (actually the second one of the Black Ops that i got), the last stuff i tried that it seemed to like was the xikar butane that they sell here on Ccom, but i think that most of the triple refined stuff would work alright.
    akward 2 gents offer me 1. got an idea send me both 1 may make its way into a certain care package for a certain forum member :)
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My preference is a Bernzomatic Butane Micro Torch from Home Depot. Mostly cause I use it for electrical work at work. When I don't have it with me, what ever is on hand. I have a couple torch lighters, some wooden matches (amazing how many Ccom sends out) and yes, even the dreaded bic lighters.
    They only thing I have an aversion to using is paper matches or any liquid fuel lighter.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    For $10 I'll give it a shot. I just ordered one, should be here sometime by the end of June, lol.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    bigharpoon:
    BigT06:
    For $10 I'll give it a shot. I just ordered one, should be here sometime by the end of June, lol.
    Shipping is slow from China... however, it's worth it. I have $600-700 worth of VERY nice lighters that sit unused in a nice case because all I use is my dual flame. Only reason I keep the others is sentimental value... none of them have lit a cigar in over a year now.
  • Options
    bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    My preference is a Bernzomatic Butane Micro Torch from Home Depot. Mostly cause I use it for electrical work at work. When I don't have it with me, what ever is on hand. I have a couple torch lighters, some wooden matches (amazing how many Ccom sends out) and yes, even the dreaded bic lighters.
    They only thing I have an aversion to using is paper matches or any liquid fuel lighter.
    +1 best purchase I`ve made in awhile
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    bics arent that bad. i use a wind resistant Xikar soft flame EX lighter.
    it is the only lighter i use anymore.
    torches are too harsh for me.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    I have a xikar which is my ol' reliable, a cohiba triple flame, and 2 blackops lighters. Tbh all are extremely good and work all the time.
  • Options
    StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    BigT06:
    thatd be great. now i smoke mainly larger ringe gauage cigars 52-60 mainly very rarely do i go smaller. would this make a difference? pm to ya
    I have one that throws out 3 flames. I only use it for my bigger ring guage sticks. It's like a friggin rocket blast and goes through fluid like no ones business. Make sure when you fill it to first turn it to low, let all the air out by pressing the fill nipple till it stops hisssing, then waiting 2-5 minutes after you fill it to light it.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I use a bic. It's cheap and I don't catch a taste off them. Matches are a pain in the ass most times.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    I use a bic. It's cheap and I don't catch a taste off them. Matches are a pain in the ass most times.

^this! Seems that every torch lighter I've ever had refuses to light after refilling it. And, yes, I purge when it's empty and wait to light after refilling...
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Love my Xikar Crossover lighter; the only lighter I use
  • Options
    xmacro:
    Love my Xikar Crossover lighter; the only lighter I use
    I am gonna have to check out these xikar lghters
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    Direwolf:

^this! Seems that every torch lighter I've ever had refuses to light after refilling it. And, yes, I purge when it's empty and wait to light after refilling...
    Xikar or vector fuel?
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Toombes:
    Direwolf:

Xikar or vector fuel?

Xikar. Haven't tried Vector.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    This is all you will ever need....http://www.xikar.com/products/lighters/stratosphere/
  • Options
    StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    firetruckguy:
    This is all you will ever need...

Yeah Yeah Yeah. That's what they say about ALL Xikar products.