Home General Discussion
Options

Oliva V Belicoso

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
I stopped that the local cigar shop and he just got these in. I grabbed one and figure I'll let it sit for a bit.
But anyone got any opinions on these? I picked this one up for $5.99, so I thought that was a pretty decent price.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Can't go wrong with anything in that line IMO.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I like them... They are one of my favorites. I do suggest letting them rest for a bit but other then that they are pretty solid. I've heard they aren't that consistent in construction but I've never had a problem. But as far as flavor they really taste great!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    haven't had a bad V yet.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    They age incredibly well. You could let it sit for years and years and they just get better. One of my favorite cigars to age.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    haven't had a bad V yet.
    +1
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Direwolf:
    haven't had a bad V yet.
    +1
    I've had many that drew like ***, but it doesn't stop me from liking, or buying the blend still.
  • Options
    StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    One of my favorites. I'll be buying a box in the next couple weeks. I agree with what was said about the draw. Might want to dry box it before you fire it up.
  • Options
    JonnysmokesJonnysmokes Posts: 48
    My favorite line of any cigar is the V so I am all for it. The #4 is by far my fab V
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Jonnysmokes:
    My favorite line of any cigar is the V so I am all for it. The #4 is by far my fab V
    That just about sums it up for me too. If you like full bodied cigars, the V is hard to beat, at any price. I really wish the #4 was avaliable in the US, but according to the owner of a local shop, the decision was made not to release them in the US market, but to sell them in Europe instead. (Americans tend to buy big fat cigars, instead of the smaller ring sizes). However, a few months back, I placed an order with "the beard" for a bunch of the #4's ... maybe they still have some left.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Had one a week ago with a year and a half on it. Very nice smoke for $6.00.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    JDH, it never hurts to try, but I emailed them a few weeks ago asking about the #4 and was told they didn't have any. It stinks that's not a normal production size. I love the V and that size or even a lonsdale would be great.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I like them... They are one of my favorites. I do suggest letting them rest for a bit but other then that they are pretty solid. I've heard they aren't that consistent in construction but I've never had a problem. But as far as flavor they really taste great!
    110% agree withthis and also with what Greg (BigHarpoon) said, let them rest for a little while and they have the potential to age brilliantly. Smoked one on the way to work yesterday in the Double Robisto size thy JDH so graciously bestowed upon me. I could tell that it had some decent rest on it (not sure how much exactly but it was enough) and it burned razor sharp even in the wind while driving and was a solid and highly enjoyable profile. It had really smoothed out and lost the slight bit of harshness that I get from them when they are still young and really enhanced the balance of them. I'm sure you will really enjoy smoking that bad boy, just give it a small cedar nap and it'll be that much better ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    One of my favorite cigars ever. I smoked the belicoso last night. Never ever had a bad one of any size. The V maddy is another nice treat. This is one of my 'only one cigar the rest of your life' cigars.
  • Options
    JonnysmokesJonnysmokes Posts: 48
    JDH:
    Jonnysmokes:
    That just about sums it up for me too. If you like full bodied cigars, the V is hard to beat, at any price. I really wish the #4 was avaliable in the US, but according to the owner of a local shop, the decision was made not to release them in the US market, but to sell them in Europe instead. (Americans tend to buy big fat cigars, instead of the smaller ring sizes). However, a few months back, I placed an order with "the beard" for a bunch of the #4's ... maybe they still have some left.
    They were definitely released in the US just in a limited quantity. I bought 5 boxes of them to stock up. You can still ind them out there. I know my local b&m has 1 full box left.
  • Options
    Well, I had to go get another one to smoke this one tonight.
    I've decided that I hate this cigar. It's awful.
    It's gonna make me go and buy more of them and I hate that. ROFL!
    I can easily see this as a go to cigar.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Have you tried any other sizes Tony? I've only had the belicoso on one occasion, the flavor was right but the draw was quite tough...a problem I seem to experience a lot with Oliva torpedos/belicosos. I love the Serie V in the double robusto size, I have about half a box left from just a bit over three years ago and each time I pull one out it's wonderful, they definitely age well.
  • Options
    0patience:
    Wanna split a box?

• Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    First V I had was a gift from spindrift and it was in the lancero size. Wow, what a cigar. Made me change my whole thinking on vitola's. It would be a great summer with a box of those on hand!
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Have you tried any other sizes Tony? I've only had the belicoso on one occasion, the flavor was right but the draw was quite tough...a problem I seem to experience a lot with Oliva torpedos/belicosos. I love the Serie V in the double robusto size, I have about half a box left from just a bit over three years ago and each time I pull one out it's wonderful, they definitely age well.
    This is the first of the Oliva V's I have tried. Certain it won't be the last. This one, the draw was right on, so I may have gotten lucky.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Streater:
    0patience:
    Wanna split a box?

I'd love to, but finances are tight at the moment. Gotta catch some things up and then I can.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    I hear that. Hence the split. Offer is always open. Just fire me a PM.
  • Options
    Streater:
    I hear that. Hence the split. Offer is always open. Just fire me a PM.
    Definitely. Guaranteed, as soon as I am able to make a box purchase, I will PM you and we'll get a hold of Andrew and see what he can do for us. It may be a while though.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    No hurry Bro.