Home General Discussion
Options

Rocky Patel Event

PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
Well last night I got to attend the Rocky Patel event here at my local B&M and it was awesome! Rocky is a great guy and was very informative about the cigar industry and how his operation works. I have to admit his quality control methods are amazing and I can see now why his smokes are so consistent. He spoke about the CRA organization and got some good info on that deal and had a great time. Free BBQ and beer plus drawing for great prizes and I actually won a great prize pack! They drew my ticket for a pack that included a 6 pack sampler of Olde World Reserve, 3 Maduro and 3 Corojo, a large round RP Sun Grown ashtray, a Vintage 90-92 poster, and a RP Carbon Fiber torch lighter. Also picked up a free ITC 10th for buying some smokes.
I pretty much made out like a bandit up there! Also got some good pictures which I'll be posting later when I get home. I didn't see Matt Marvel from here on the forums out there, but I have no idea what he looks like so he might have been there and I just had no idea...

Comments

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Thats awesome man! I loved the Rocky event i went to and he makes it just that....an event. Plus hes and uber cool guy. Did he bring a cigar with him called Maduro of Costa Rica? Near as i can tell that is part of his "travelling stock" and you cant find it anywhere else. Killer stick if you get a chance to smoke it.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    That's awesome you got to meet Rocky! I met him too when he was down here in GA for an event. He gave me an autograph and a RP Rennisance box. He is really down to Earth and knows his stuff!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    You're right Puro, you didn't see me, lol. We're in the process of extending our hours at work, and I've been putting in extra time. I was just too tired to drive out there. Looks like I should've made the sacrifice though. Glad you had a good time.
  • Options
    Well sorry you couldn't make it. We did have a great time and got some great freebies. I'll keep you posted on other events coming in the near future. They usually have at least one a month.
  • Options
    Sounds good. Speaking of events, there's a shop in Rockwall, right by Lake Ray Hubbard called En Fuego. The first of July they're having an Oliva cigar tasting. I'm thinking about checking it out.
  • Options
    Oh cool, I went to an Oliva event last month and it was great. Some good give aways and great smokes. I like the Oliva line a lot. The G and O Maduro are great and the Series V is AWESOME!!!
  • Options
    I've yet to have one, unfortunately. I might pick some up this weekend though. Depends on what I have left over after bills.
  • Options
    Yea, I know that feeling. I was lucky that the Patel event was right after pay day and I actually had some good over-time on this check so I wasn't totally poor. haha
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    I got a RP event coming up on the 23rd! Im so stoked!!
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Glad you had a great time Puro !!!
  • Options
    Ok, here are some pics I took at the event.

Rocky talking about his factories and the process.
    Rocky

Rocky and Me
    Rocky and Me

Rocky with my buddy Nick
    Rocky and Nick

Rocky with some of the guys from my cigar group hanging out. GOOD TIMES!
    Rocky and the Guys
  • Options
    great pics! Get some sleep Rocky, you look tired!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Sounds awesome, I wish he would come down here to San Antonio
  • Options
    rdnstn:
    Sounds awesome, I wish he would come down here to San Antonio
    He said he is going to do a tour of TX with a bunch of the other guys from the CRA and be making a ton of stops so keep an eye out! You might check his site and see if they have any dates up yet.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    cool. he does look tired. I think it would be cool to hang with some owners. I think it's pretty stand up to do what he and other growers do, hang with their customers. glad you had a good time puro
  • Options
    Dear Rocky,
    Please come to western North Carolina. Its a cool place to call home. We have in-door plumbing , all our teeth, don't marry cousins , and are a generally well be-haved cigar smoking bunch .
    Thank You,
    Gene
  • Options
    gmill880:
    Dear Rocky,
    Please come to western North Carolina. Its a cool place to call home. We have in-door plumbing , all our teeth, don't marry cousins , and are a generally well be-haved cigar smoking bunch .
    Thank You,
    Gene
    Oh come on Gene, you aint gotta lie to make friends! haha Kidding!!! I have to say I am VERY lucky to live down the road from one of the best B&M's you can find anywhere. The owner Kent, who is the guy on the far right in the group picture, has some AWESOME connections in the cigar world. Rocky is doing a factory tour and weekend get away for Kent and people that sign up at his shop. He does these fairly often for the big shops he visits pretty often.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    gmill880:
    Dear Rocky,
    Thank You,
    Gene
    Oh come on Gene, you aint gotta lie to make friends! haha Kidding!!! I have to say I am VERY lucky to live down the road from one of the best B&M's you can find anywhere. The owner Kent, who is the guy on the far right in the group picture, has some AWESOME connections in the cigar world. Rocky is doing a factory tour and weekend get away for Kent and people that sign up at his shop. He does these fairly often for the big shops he visits pretty often.

Puro are you going to be able to go on the tour...that would have to be a kick-a$$ trip ...I'm going to have to check out the larger B&M closest to me and see if anything is coming up. Is there like a cover charge for the trip or does Rocky pick up the tab?
  • Options
    From what I was told all you have to pay is air fair and everything else is covered.
  • Options
    kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    Is there a listing anywhere of his and/or other events around the country? He was just here and I didn't know about it until it was too late.
  • Options
    He had a calendar on his website with all his events listed, but last time I checked the calendar page wasn't working...but maybe it's fixed now.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    Yeah I saw that but it's always been blank for me.
  • Options
    iwsmith2iwsmith2 Posts: 65
    Just got back from a Rocky Patel event at the B & M, Bought a box of 1992's and got 5 free sticks and a dual flame torch. Love it.