Home General Discussion
Options

Planting some cigars

Hey guys, I decided to take a stab at planting tobacco again this year and they are turning out a lot better. I was wondering if any BOTL on the forums knew the answers to some of my questions.

First, I have planted three different varieties:

Pennsylvania Red: Filler
Havana 263: Binder
Dixie Shade: Wrapper

I was curious if anyone knows the flavor profiles of these strains of tobacco. I am going to assume the dixie shade is a dark sweet, while the havana 263 carries a creamy cedar aspect, and the filler will add some spice, but I have no clue at this point. Any advice would be helpful.

Also, does anyone know where I can get a cigar press that is 4.5x60 size? Ebay doesn't have them and they are a fairly new popular size format. I love this gordo size as it produces a lot of thick smoke, burns slow, but still can be a fast smoke if you need it to be. I want to take a stab at rolling my cigars in the press. I'm going to call my cigars La Casera (stands for Homemade). If I make enough I might even give some out. Right now I have 86 plants with a few dying off but most look healthy. Here is a pic of them right now:

Comments

• Options
    Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    Nice bro let us know how it turns out
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    After reading the title of this, I thought it was gonna be another Lewinski related post before I read it. LOL

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    After reading the title of this, I thought it was gonna be another Lewinski related post before I read it. LOL

And I was thinking he was gonna try to outdo my macaroni ranch. I was gonna put in a few acres of macaroni and maybe a couple linguine as well. Didn't quite get around to it, though.......
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    very interesting...I will follow the development. Thanks for sharing with us.
  • Options
    long_ashes:
    Also, does anyone know where I can get a cigar press that is 4.5x60 size? Ebay doesn't have them and they are a fairly new popular size format. I love this gordo size as it produces a lot of thick smoke, burns slow, but still can be a fast smoke if you need it to be.

This outfit says they custom make cigar molds for the hobbyist:Click Here

The one shown is for 4 different sizes but they'd surely make the size you want. You might have a look to see if it'll work for ya.....
  • Options
    long_asheslong_ashes Posts: 166
    Awesome! Thank you sir!
  • Options
    long_ashes:
    Awesome! Thank you sir!

It was my pleasure, Bro........
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. That's going all in. Awesome.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    long_asheslong_ashes Posts: 166
    Good news. I have one purchased and he is making a 4.5x56 mold for me. he didn't have a 60 but he said that if I added another wrapper then it should make the size 60. Double wrappers are always a good thing in my opinion. ;) Thanks again.
  • Options
    long_ashes:
    Good news. I have one purchased and he is making a 4.5x56 mold for me. he didn't have a 60 but he said that if I added another wrapper then it should make the size 60. Double wrappers are always a good thing in my opinion. ;) Thanks again.

Excellent. Be sure to let us know how the test-drive goes once the crop is harvested and the sticks are made and ready to burn.
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    that is pretty cool, i dont think that i would have the patience to put up with growing/harvesting/curing/rolling the tobacco.
  • Options
    seagarloverseagarlover Posts: 437
    Let us know when we can place our order, I can see the cigar band now, "long_ashes" 4x50 maduro Pennsylvania Red: Filler Havana 263: Binder Dixie Shade: Wrapper GOOD LUCK