Home Non Cigar Related

Pipes

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
So seeing pipes on here has got me back into thinking about trying them out, but have no idea as to what to look for as far as pipes etc. Any pipe smokers willing to share some info, tried doing a search but was so slow I got tired of waiting for something to show up, lol. *edit* I.E do you rec. corn cob? or go better? I dont want to spend much, penny pinching for a major move.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I couldn't recommend a corn cob based on my experience with one, some guys swear by them though. Savinelli has a budget line of pipes that you might check out, you won't get a unique or particularly beautiful pipe, but you will get quality craftsmanship.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    So seeing pipes on here has got me back into thinking about trying them out, but have no idea as to what to look for as far as pipes etc. Any pipe smokers willing to share some info, tried doing a search but was so slow I got tired of waiting for something to show up, lol. *edit* I.E do you rec. corn cob? or go better? I dont want to spend much, penny pinching for a major move.
    I have a few meerschaum pipes. They are nice to smoke and look nice on a stand. LOL!
    I don't care for the corn cob pipes, but it's a personal preference. Get a ton of filters and pipe cleaners and don't expect to smoke them like cigars.

You can get a nice artwork Meerschaum for about $45 for a standard or $75 for a large.
    If you need help locating one, PM me.

As for the tobacco, it's just like cigars, there is so many blends out there, you have to try a little of this and that.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    j0z3r:
    I couldn't recommend a corn cob based on my experience with one, some guys swear by them though. Savinelli has a budget line of pipes that you might check out, you won't get a unique or particularly beautiful pipe, but you will get quality craftsmanship.
    I totally agree, don't try to do it on a trail (small) budget. Spend a few extra bucks and get a quality Savinelli and buy lots of different tobacco, even stuff you don't think you'll like, and just try it out. You will want good craftsmanship in your pipe. Dr. Grabow also makes some HALFWAY decent pipes to start out with. I just ordered my first JM Boswell yesterday and have recently been getting into English blends.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    OchoZacho:
    j0z3r:
    I totally agree, don't try to do it on a trail (small) budget. Spend a few extra bucks and get a quality Savinelli and buy lots of different tobacco, even stuff you don't think you'll like, and just try it out. You will want good craftsmanship in your pipe. Dr. Grabow also makes some HALFWAY decent pipes to start out with. I just ordered my first JM Boswell yesterday and have recently been getting into English blends.
    thanks for the response guys, looks like my best bet is to hold off for awhile and do it right.
    I kinda hate you right now Zach, I want to get a Boswell so badly but it just isn't something I can swing at the moment. JM and son make some incredible pipes. My first one is going to be a jumbo, I know that for sure.
    deejmemixx:
    OchoZacho:
    j0z3r:
    thanks for the response guys, looks like my best bet is to hold off for awhile and do it right.
    If you're interested in trying a pipe out, I can clean up my first pipe and lend it to you to see if you even like it. Let me know.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    deejmemixx:
    OchoZacho:
    j0z3r:
    If you're interested in trying a pipe out, I can clean up my first pipe and lend it to you to see if you even like it. Let me know.
    very generous offer, but I will graciously decline, my lil old life is to busy to borrow something! Living with father in law until we move, kids, puppies etc etc, I would hate if something happened. I will make the plunge when we land in our new adventure in a few months.
    deejmemixx:
    j0z3r:
    deejmemixx:
    OchoZacho:
    j0z3r:
    very generous offer, but I will graciously decline, my lil old life is to busy to borrow something! Living with father in law until we move, kids, puppies etc etc, I would hate if something happened. I will make the plunge when we land in our new adventure in a few months.
    Right on. The offer still stands should you change your mind.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a side note on the topic of pipes. I once spent a few years working for a very large corporation (who shall remain nameless) that had an unwritten policy against promoting pipe smokers to supervisory or management positions. Their reasoning was that pipe smokers as a class were generally seen as far too lethargic and laid-back to have the drive to get ahead and be the dynamic, go-getter type of employee that they wanted heading up departments, etc.

I used to smoke a pipe although not at the time I was employed there, and I tended to agree with their feelings based on my own observations of various pipe smokers I'd encountered over the years. I noticed that they seemed to be constantly filling, tamping, re-lighting, etc., and never seemed to be in a hurry to do any of it. My own step-father had a habit of doing some or all of those things while driving down the road. That was bad enough but it ended up killing him. He turned left in front of an oncoming vehicle while trying to re-light his pipe. The only lucky thing was that he was alone in the car at the time.

I'm not trying to bad-mouth pipe smoking (I'm thinking about digging out some of my old pipes) but I just thought I'd play 'devil's advocate' for a minute to point out some of the negative aspects of the pastime.

Lecture over. You may carry on, now. :-)
  • stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Just a side note on the topic of pipes. I once spent a few years working for a very large corporation (who shall remain nameless) that had an unwritten policy against promoting pipe smokers to supervisory or management positions. Their reasoning was that pipe smokers as a class were generally seen as far too lethargic and laid-back to have the drive to get ahead and be the dynamic, go-getter type of employee that they wanted heading up departments, etc.

I used to smoke a pipe although not at the time I was employed there, and I tended to agree with their feelings based on my own observations of various pipe smokers I'd encountered over the years. I noticed that they seemed to be constantly filling, tamping, re-lighting, etc., and never seemed to be in a hurry to do any of it. My own step-father had a habit of doing some or all of those things while driving down the road. That was bad enough but it ended up killing him. He turned left in front of an oncoming vehicle while trying to re-light his pipe. The only lucky thing was that he was alone in the car at the time.

I'm not trying to bad-mouth pipe smoking (I'm thinking about digging out some of my old pipes) but I just thought I'd play 'devil's advocate' for a minute to point out some of the negative aspects of the pastime.

Lecture over. You may carry on, now. :-)
    Taking time to prepare a pipe and properly smoke it is what make it great. It takes time to learn to smoke a pipe. It's an art. If you want to try it find what called an estate pipe (previously smoked) or two. Then try a couple different blends. Don't smoke flavored tobacco and nonflavored out of the same pipe. Sometimes good tobacconists will have gently used pipes for good prices. Look for a Danish pipe maker like Eric Nording, he makes really great pipes and they're not to bad in price. Don't buy cheap! You will regret it! A good pipe makes ALL the difference in the world! Oh, a used pipe is not what you may think. I have been collecting them and refurbishing for a few years once their cleaned and sterilized and the bowl has been sweetened its has good as new! Even better cause you won't have to take the time to build up the cake in the bowl, which can take a long time to build up. This will allow you to start enjoying right away. If you want to know more let me know.