Home General Discussion

"Cohiba Cuban" ...

Anyone had a cohiba cuban? I've got 5 churchills and 5 torpedos.... Lit one of each up tonight to see if they are legit (because i just got a huge order and need to make room in the humi) i first noticed that they burned like crazy on the outside, just toaste the wrapper.... the torpedo wasn't terrible, but had a distinct flavor that wasnt pleasant....the churchill had zero flavor on the pallet.. and left a horrible, horrible flavor on the lips....

All in all i've come to the conclusion that they must be a ripoff (nicely done one at that) Unless anyone has had experiance with the real deal and can tell me what it should be like.....

Comments

• brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    ScottU:
    the churchill had zero flavor on the pallet.. and left a horrible, horrible flavor on the lips....

Unless they were smuggled into the country up someone's bum, it's pretty safe to say they are not legit.

Seriously, they are high quality cigars though not the holy grail that CA and some others try to make them out to be, in my humble opinion of course.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    They could be real. years ago I got a bunch of Cohiba ISOMs from a reputable source and I hated every one. Same thing with the R&J. I did however like the Hoyos. They looked and tasted greated. Looked like they were wrapped with leather. It was so smooth and shiny. I have a newer cohiba at home and a R&J that I just got but have yet to try them. They couldn't be worse then the ones I had years ago. I also got 3 Monti #2 Torpedos. Those, I can't wait to have.
  • ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    Well... Out they go! I didn't think they were legit, but I figured it was worth a try. At thispoint, if it is legit, I don't want them anyways unless I can somehow get some flavor, and that awful chemical taste off the wrapper...
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I've had 2 cubans, can't remember what they were a few years ago. My x GF's stepdad use to live in Brazil. He had a box of several different kinds. He did have them humidified. I think one of them was a R&J, but I like the cigars I smoke now much more. yeah, could be a lot of reasons why. Until I actually pick some up myself or get them from a trusted BOTL, I won't know for sure.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    often, cubans need to sit for a few years and rest/age.

go here and learn more. dont be so quick to jump the gun.

on that note, the only cubans that i have had i was not very impressed with. Im still willing to give them a shot again but im not running out at every chance i get to buy some.
    kuzi16:
    often, cubans need to sit for a few years and rest/age.

go here and learn more. dont be so quick to jump the gun.

on that note, the only cubans that i have had i was not very impressed with. Im still willing to give them a shot again but im not running out at every chance i get to buy some.
    I would say I'm in the same boat. If I go to Canada I'll try a few I'm sure. But there are so many other cigars I can get here which I want to try more than cubans...
  • ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    Thanks for the link kuzi, after reading a bit, and then finally falling upon

"Take a close look at this picture. These cigars are FAKE. Period. I don't care what anyone has told you, where they came from, how legit the seals and bands look, how well made the cigars are, or how great they taste. There is no such thing as authentic Cohiba Esplendidos in a "glass top" box. This is one of the biggest scams going and the tourists from Florida, through the Caribbean, and right to downtown Havana buy these boxes of "Fauxhibas" like crazy. This is by far the most notorious counterfeit Cuban cigar scam going - please don't become another mark by purchasing a box of these cigars."

I now know that they are most definatley a fake.. Just in time because I've got no room in my humiand 20 stick coming today!
  • havanaalhavanaal Posts: 155 ✭✭
    I have had Cuban Cohibas from Mexico City, to Caracas, to Toronto, and 3/4 of them were pure cigar heaven. A number were bad however, I presumed fakes. Ironically, the worst one I had was purchased in Cuba (by a Canadian friend). From everything I've heard and read, there are so many counterfeits out there that you're really rolling the dice when you buy one. Too bad. I'm sure once the embargo is lifted there will be so many fakes out there, no one will dare waste their money!
  • benskibenski Posts: 24 ✭✭
    If you buy from a reputable dealer (or directly from the factory shops in Cuba) then the chances of getting a fake are very much reduced. I have bought dozens of boxes of Cohibas (I live in the UK half the time and the US the other half), and thanks to careful choice of retail outlets have been restricted to a single fake (a disgusting Siglo II - a curious cigar to fake in my opinion - from an outlet in East London). Much of the rest of the world considers Cubans the de-facto cigar. In fact, it is largely the American market which drives cigar production in the central and south american countries. Nicaraguan and Dominican cigars are barely known in many European and Far Eastern countries, due to the predonderance of Cubans. In large duty free shops all over the world you will see 80% + Cuban product on the shelves. CAO, AVO and Davidoff's non-cuban brands do make some sales impact over here. On the matter of "not all they are cracked up to be" - I regret that I must respectfully disagree. An aged Cohiba robusto or Esplendido is a marvellous, life-affirming smoke. Cohibas have an immediately recognizable flavour (just read James Suckling on Cohiba in Cigar Afficionado for confirmation). My personal favorite is the Coronas Especiales - a long, pigtail-ended Laguito no.2 (38 ring gauge, 152 length) a gorgeous, slender thin white duke of a cigar; The smoking equivalent of a blow-job on your birthday.
    FYI, Cohiba don't make a regular issue cigar in a pyramides (torpedo) vitola - so seeing a torpedo with a cohiba band (unless it is accompanied by a special edition band too) should be an immediate alarm bell.
    benski:
    If you buy from a reputable dealer (or directly from the factory shops in Cuba) then the chances of getting a fake are very much reduced. I have bought dozens of boxes of Cohibas (I live in the UK half the time and the US the other half), and thanks to careful choice of retail outlets have been restricted to a single fake (a disgusting Siglo II - a curious cigar to fake in my opinion - from an outlet in East London). Much of the rest of the world considers Cubans the de-facto cigar. In fact, it is largely the American market which drives cigar production in the central and south american countries. Nicaraguan and Dominican cigars are barely known in many European and Far Eastern countries, due to the predonderance of Cubans. In large duty free shops all over the world you will see 80% + Cuban product on the shelves. CAO, AVO and Davidoff's non-cuban brands do make some sales impact over here. On the matter of "not all they are cracked up to be" - I regret that I must respectfully disagree. An aged Cohiba robusto or Esplendido is a marvellous, life-affirming smoke. Cohibas have an immediately recognizable flavour (just read James Suckling on Cohiba in Cigar Afficionado for confirmation). My personal favorite is the Coronas Especiales - a long, pigtail-ended Laguito no.2 (38 ring gauge, 152 length) a gorgeous, slender thin white duke of a cigar; The smoking equivalent of a blow-job on your birthday.
    now see, why did you have to end it like that. Now I'm going to be haunted by not having tried it.. nor in any fore-see-able future.. damn...
    Sorry. I actually re-wrote the ending of that piece three times. I wanted something with a sting in the tail. Wait. No. She's doing it wrong....
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    brsmith21:
    ScottU:
    the churchill had zero flavor on the pallet.. and left a horrible, horrible flavor on the lips....

Unless they were smuggled into the country up someone's bum, it's pretty safe to say they are not legit.

Seriously, they are high quality cigars though not the holy grail that CA and some others try to make them out to be, in my humble opinion of course.
    Don't be so quick to judge... Uhhh... a "friend" of mine get's cubans somewhat often... He just happens to know a few friends that travel frequently... There are Habanos S.A. stores lots of places... Just not here in the states... ;)

For what it's worth, "smuggling" them in isn't an issue... Every time my "friend" has gotten any, his friend(s) simply drop them in the mail to him. They pass right through with no problems at all... Not a single shipment has ever seen so much as a delay...

As far as the OP's experience... I'd say there is no doubt they were fakes... Every cuban my "friend" has had has been delightful... Each quite different yet each shares a "special something"... Not sure how to describe it... Call it a "flavor profile" that is unique to ISOMs... A special "creamy/buttery smoothness" that you just don't find in ANY other cigar...

Kuzi is also right... If they don't have some plume on them, let 'em sit for a while... There is NOTHING like a good ISOM with good age...

Not that I'd know of course... but that's what my "friend" tells me... ;)
    rusirius, I was joking about the horrible flavor he mentioned on the lips, not the actual act of smuggling. I understand that they're not that hard to get. All in fun.
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    brsmith21:
    rusirius, I was joking about the horrible flavor he mentioned on the lips, not the actual act of smuggling. I understand that they're not that hard to get. All in fun.
    OHHHHHHHH LMAO! I completely read that a different way... I read it as you were stating that it was practically impossible to smuggle them into the states! Now I see the satire... LOL!
    Unfortunately, my odd humor doesn't always translate in my typing. Not the first time I've been misunderstood.