Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Breaker Breaker.......Anybody into CB or Ham Radio?

The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
Bout 20 years ago I used to have a CB in my 4x4 and enjoyed it.. The guys and I would all use em when we went wheelin or on campin trips,, Was always great gettin info from the truckers on highway conditions, speed traps and the like. Was thinking of getting another but not sure if the are in use like they used to be.

Comments

• Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup, i use to aggravate and agitate with the best you snuffskeeter,lol
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jj20030:
    yup, i use to aggravate and agitate with the best you snuffskeeter,lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3sbG8jlRp8
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Ive had a few cb's in my vehicles over the last few years, but i blew out my last one about 18 months ago due to a poorly tuned antenna in the car and I have yet to get another. They are fun, and with how much i drive it'd be useful, but i really dont want to put another $100+ into a setup. the reason that i got one in the first place was for a group of guys that i went offroad with a few times, to go to their "cool spots" you had to have one, and you had to go there to be accepted by them... glad i left that group, but the cb is a great tool offroad.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I was just talking to my buddy about getting one. I'm thinking having another form of communication couldn't hurt in case of emergency.Not a doomsday prepper but not stupid also.
  • Options
    hairnutzhairnutz Posts: 4
    I got my technicians license for amateur radio about 2 months ago and so far, its lots of fun. The test is nothing to pass - there are plenty of free practice tests online which contain the actual questions on the test. A lot of it is common sense but there are some technical things youll have to learn as well as some of the rules but its a 35 question test, costs $15 and I believe you can miss up to 8 or 9. You dont need to know morse code or anything.

• Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    After studying on and off for years, I finally buckled down and took my FCC exams this past weekend. I passed both the Tech and General in one sitting. Didn't try taking the Extra, but my buddy who took the tests with me passed all three.

It's important to note that $15 is the average test fee. Check with the VEC who is giving your exam. The group I took mine from (Mt. Vernon) does them for free since they want to get people into the hobby. They also electronically submitted the test results, so I had my new call sign posted in the FCC database on Tuesday after taking the tests Saturday!

After the earthquake here a year ago, cell service was out for hours... and that was, in the general scheme of things, not a drastic disaster. It's not hard to pass the tests, and gear has gotten really cheap. I have a used Kenwood 2M mobile that set me back all of about eighty bucks, and a Chinese dual band handheld (2m and 70cm, plus gets commercial FM stations) that set me back a whole fifty five bucks, shipped.