Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Lawn mowers/garden equipment.

danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
Since living in a condo, I haven't mowed a lawn in years. With the purchase of a new home, I will need to invest in a good reliable push lawn mower and garden equipment. What do you guys use/recommend? Brand? Gas/electric? etc. Thanks brothers.
"It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything with a honda engine is probably the most reliable, but expensive.
    We ended up getting a Craftsman 21" with a "Smooth Start" Briggs & Stratton.
    It has a mulch thing that you attach and it mulches, remove and it bags. And has a hose hook up for washing out the deck.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    its been 3 years since i looked into push mowers but at the camp i used to work at we would go through one every year (a lot of push mowing in a lot of bad conditions), and the only ones that would last that long were the ones with the Briggs and Stratton engines and it was usually the body/handle that would die on those, the cheaper ones would die off in a month or so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I've had my B&S mower for 11 years. Runs like a champ, first pull every time and no maintenance.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Any Briggs and Stratton or Honda powered mower will serve you well. Spend the extra on one that is self propelled, too.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Echo gas trimmer
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'll tell ya, Dudes..... I've served my time yanking on ropes. Homey don' do dat **** no mo'. If it doesn't have a plug on the end of a cord, I don't own it. With one exception, that is. I have a cordless electric mower that mulches as it mows so it's not even necessary to empty a bag. I love it.
  • Options
    Hmmm Briggs and Stratton huh. I've never even heard of this brand. I shall check these out. So the B&S garden equipment are pretty good too? Thanks for the input guys.
  • Options
    Fritz_the_CatFritz_the_Cat Posts: 27
    When I had my landscape company we did a fair amount of cuttings, helped with cash flow. Back then we only used Snappers, that was a long time ago...... 9 years ago I bought a Toro Self Propelled, with 4-5 pushes on the choke it starts most often on the first pull. I service it every other year.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    danielzreyes:
    Hmmm Briggs and Stratton huh. I've never even heard of this brand. I shall check these out. So the B&S garden equipment are pretty good too? Thanks for the input guys.
    They are an engine manufacturer, for like 100 years or something. Yep, they are reliable. Maybe not as quiet as the honda, but their newest motors are improving on that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Get the black and decker equipment too. All cordless and one battery system. I have the clippers, hedgers, leaf blower. All work great. For the edging along cement, I use the B&D rolling edger. Get the lawn edged in under 2 minutes. After I bought one, the whole block started buying them
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    Any Briggs and Stratton or Honda powered mower will serve you well. Spend the extra on one that is self propelled, too.

+1
    A little extra money goes A long way on longevity.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    I'm in the market right now. I've done a lot of comparisons as far as equipment, accessories, reviews and money. The best I have come up with while reading reviews and stats. In this order, starting with equipment, accessories, reviews and cost. Cub Cadet, Craftmans and then Husqvarna according to what I have read online. The Craftman jumps ahead of Husqvarna because of cost. But from reading reviews, I would say it's third because of their warranty. There is some other very good equipment out there that are rated higher in some areas. But, these are the areas I was most interested in and their results. The Husqvarna that I'm thinking about getting comes with a Kawasaki motor. And is rated very high for motors. One last entry here. My neighbors all have Cub Cadets except one. He has a Craftman and he is the oldest guy in the neighborhood. When I asked him about his mower. He said that particular one he has had for nine years. And before that he had another one he bought from Sears for eleven years. Yet, I consider myself young so I'm going with a Husqvarna, lol. Hope that helps you out.....

• Options
    *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    danielzreyes:
    Since living in a condo, I haven't mowed a lawn in years. With the purchase of a new home, I will need to invest in a good reliable push lawn mower and garden equipment. What do you guys use/recommend? Brand? Gas/electric? etc. Thanks brothers.
    Well for starters since you just bought a new house I'm guess your gonna have ALOT of expenses coming real soon. My advice would be to find a Mower repair/used mower shop and see what they have for cheap. Then in a few years do some research and spend some money a ncie mower when the other house expenses have calmed down a bit.

just an outside the box though
  • Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    Toro. Mid priced and reliable as hell
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    *Petey*:
    danielzreyes:
    Well for starters since you just bought a new house I'm guess your gonna have ALOT of expenses coming real soon. My advice would be to find a Mower repair/used mower shop and see what they have for cheap. Then in a few years do some research and spend some money a ncie mower when the other house expenses have calmed down a bit.

Boyd, that is good advice. Heck, I may go searching for a used one too. That's not a bad idea at all. Never even thought about it.

• Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Good Lord Charlie.....I got to thinking about this, and realized I'm still using the first mower I purchased 20 years ago, just your basic Toro mulching mower. Granted it was used lightly as I had a very small yard, and now I just use it around the edge of my newer home because I now "need" a rider.

It's really something how the internet has made purchasing something an almost impossible task. It gets the point where I'm irritated with myself, checking out the various review web sites, comments on Amazon, comparing statistics, features etc. My surround sound amp gave up the ghost the other day. I had to promise myself to sit down at the computer and purchase a new one in one afternoon, not 3 weeks of research. I think we can sometimes be so considered about getting the best value, that we undervalue our time.
  • Options
    RCY Cigars:
    *Petey*:
    danielzreyes:

Boyd, that is good advice. Heck, I may go searching for a used one too. That's not a bad idea at all. Never even thought about it.

There is a good chance that I just may take this route as you are right about the expenses. I'm currently remodeling my new home and it's taking a toll on my pocket. (Doesn't help when the wife wants upgraded everything either) I haven't bought, nor will I be buying cigars in the near future. As of late, I've had to tap into my stash of good sticks, which is not a bad thing :) lol.
    +1 on the advice Boyd. Again, thank you all for the advice. I will still keep everyones input in mind.
  • Options
    *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    danielzreyes:
    RCY Cigars:
    *Petey*:
    danielzreyes:

There is a good chance that I just may take this route as you are right about the expenses. I'm currently remodeling my new home and it's taking a toll on my pocket. (Doesn't help when the wife wants upgraded everything either) I haven't bought, nor will I be buying cigars in the near future. As of late, I've had to tap into my stash of good sticks, which is not a bad thing :) lol.
    +1 on the advice Boyd. Again, thank you all for the advice. I will still keep everyones input in mind.
    My Pleasure guys, glad to be helpful. And I can relate. First time home owner myself, and we've been in our house for 5 years now and I'm still actually borrowing out neighbors mower. little bit ashamed of that actually, but I had the idea because in good old downtown RWC there is a mower repair shop with about a half dozen mowers in the window, I didn't check the prices but I can't imagine they're looking for too much. I'll get around to it, sooner rather than later myself becuase I really need to stop being a moochy neighbor and get my own mower. But with houses things always come up . . . .
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Check around for sure.. every town has a retired old man that love to tinker with mowers. Can find good deals and good stories.
  • Options
    Got this today. Yard machine self propelled with a Briggs and Stratton 140cc.
    Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original)
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm daydreaming about a Robomower before Spring. Dam, they cost too much, though.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)